April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

LyraGuppi

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Okay, here we go.
cool1.gif

It all started with my Platy, about two months ago. She was very lethargic and bloated, some slight pineconing. I Q tanked her for quite some time, until she finally pooed and was swimming a tad bit more. I put her back into my community tank and she was fine for a while....
Until about a month and a half ago.
Platy Girl (I call her Big Momma) had fell back into the routine of lethargy, slight pineconing, and fast breathing. Her tail is always clamped, no exception. She stays at the very bottom of the tank, only coming up to eat a pinch of flake. Just recently I noticed she had two white spots on the top of her nose, like nostrils. They are perfectly aligned, like they're natural. Bubbles stick to her at times. I really want to euthanize her to put her out of her misery, but I need to know what's wrong first.
Oh, but that's not all!
evilmad.gif

Some of my fish are starting to flash on the mopani, have bubbles stick to them, and be very lethargic. No fish are showing signs of ich, but one guppy has a white-ish patch on her back. I can't get a pic due to my terrible camera, I'm sorry, but I supplied a pic of a different fish with a sore that looked the same. 
https://ixquick-proxy.com/do/show_picture.pl?l=english&cat=pics&c=pf&q=white+patch+on+fish&h=400&w=600&th=106&tw=160&fn=barbgirlmarked.jpg&fs=24.6%20k&el=boss_pics_2&tu=http:%2F%2Fts1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DHN.608029835760240792%26pid%3D15.1%26H%3D106%26W%3D160&rl=NONE&u=http:%2F%2Fwww.tropicalfishkeeping.com%2Ftropical-fish-diseases%2Fwhite-patch-barbs-18063%2F&udata=894f608a69b3813b351d3cf7df3c8969&rid=LDLNTPRTOQLK&oiu=http:%2F%2Fi83.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fj294%2Fmonsterpony%2Ffish%2Fbarbgirlmarked.jpg
I am beginning to grow very annoyed of this illness. Very, very annoyed. Anyway, here are stats.
PH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0
Please tell me, if you know, what this disease is.
Thanks,
Lyra

How big are the spots on the nostrils?
Are they the size of a grain of salt or bigger?
Any pink, or red areas on the spot, inside, or outside of the spot?
Is the also bloated with the slightly raised scales?
Any pink,, or red areas to the patch on the fish?
What do you feed your fish?
Do you have a nitrite, nitrate reading please?

UPDATE-
The white/ slime spot seems to be spreading, but I'm not entirely sure. Big Momma also has a cloudy film over her pupil. She is staying at the top gasping. She is wobbling from side to side when she swims.
WILDER said:
How big are the spots on the nostrils?
Are they the size of a grain of salt or bigger?
Any pink, or red areas on the spot, inside, or outside of the spot?
Is the also bloated with the slightly raised scales?
Any pink,, or red areas to the patch on the fish?
What do you feed your fish?
Do you have a nitrite, nitrate reading please?
The spots are smaller than a grain of salt. There aren't any coloring inside, outside, or in the spots; they are like little bulbs. There is no bloating, she is fine with her weight. The white patch has no discoloration. I feed my fish-
Bloodworms, Tropical Flake, Gammarus, Tropical pellets, Goldfish flake, Cory pellets on occasion, tubifex worms, algae wafers, and betta flakes, all depending on the day of the week. I'm careful not to over feed them. So sorry, but because of the pricing for those tests, I cannot get a reading. I do a 25% change and siphoning every week, and the tank is cycled. Phew! :)

It sounds like mostly basterial issues. Pineconing is often associated with causes that are also bacterial

Dropsy
    Symptoms: Bloating of the body, protruding scales.

Dropsy is caused from a bacterial infection of the kidneys, causing fluid accumulation or renal failure. The fluids in the body build up and cause the fish to bloat up and the scales to protrude. It appears to only cause trouble in weakened fish and possibly from unkempt aquarium conditions.

An effective treatment is to add an antibiotic to the food. With flake food, use about 1% of antibiotic and carefully mix it in. If you keep the fish hungry they should eagerly eat the mixture before the antibiotic dissipates. Antibiotics usually come in 250 mg capsules. If added to 25 grams of flake food, one capsule should be enough to treat dozens of fish. A good antibiotic is chloromycetin (chloramphenicol). Or use tetracycline. If you feed your fish frozen foods or chopped foods, try to use the same ratio with mixing. As a last resort add at most 10 mg per liter of water. Also, if unkempt conditions are the suspected cause, correct it.

Scale Protrusion
    Symptoms: Protruding scales without body bloat.

Scale protrusion is essentially a bacterial infection of the scales and/or body. A variety of bacterium could be the culprit here, as can unkempt aquarium conditions.

An effective treatment is to add an antibiotic to the food. With flake food, use about 1% of antibiotic and carefully mix it in. If you keep the fish hungry they should eagerly eat the mixture before the antibiotic dissipates. Antibiotics usually come in 250 mg capsules. If added to 25 grams of flake food, one capsule should be enough to treat dozens of fish. A good antibiotic is chloromycetin (chloramphenicol). Or use tetracycline. If you feed your fish frozen foods or chopped foods, try to use the same ratio with mixing. As a last resort add at most 10 mg per liter of water. Also, if unkempt conditions are the suspected cause, correct it.
from http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/information/Diseases.htm#Scale%20Protrusion

There are other effective antibiotics besides those listed in the above.

White patches might be columnaris. This also requires antibiotics to treat.

OMG, why did I start the fish hobby again? XD
Thanks everybody!

Have you added a bacterial medication?
The hobby can be stressful at times.

I did a whole ich treatment and it barely helped. I'm going to buy a bacterial medication tomorrow.

Any tiny white spots on the fish the size of grain of salt?

UPDATE:
I found out I had faulty ammonia strips ; my new ammonia strip was blue! With closer looking, I saw red gills, so I cleaned every nook in the tank. Phew! The PH is now at about a 1.0 or 1.5, and I'll keep on with the siphoning. Thank you everybody for your help!

Glad you found the problem.
Thanks for the update.
Good Luck.

Most reactions

Back