White Spot Treatment Uk, Pentazona Barbs (w/ Dwarf Gourami, Peppered C

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SandraNewbie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
All 5 of my pentazona barbs are displaying classic ICH symptoms, I didn't quarantine them because my Quaratine tank has two guppies with ragged tails in. My mistake. The guppy's will be returned to their tank on Thursday so I can isolate tank mates in the scaleless cories need a different treatment.
I live miles from the tank during the week so only minimal treatment is available till tomorrow night all readings were accurate on Sunday afternoon.

Tank size:95L (25 Gallon)
pH: 7.4 (ish)
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: C. 5 [see below for readings]
kH: n/a
gH: n/a
tank temp: 26C (79F)
Fish Symptoms: White spots on the Pentazona barbs, appeared in last 3 days.
Volume and Frequency of water changes: minimum 15L/week, 30L every other week, Recently 90% water change
Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: no additives, sponge media in two small filters
Tank inhabitants: 5 Pentazona Barbs(1 inch long), 1 Dwarf Gourami(not quite 2 inches long), 5 Peppered Cory's (1inch long)
Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): 9 Pentazona barbs, 4 died over a fortnight with no Ich symptoms, They were removed swiftly followed by significant water change
Exposure to chemicals: Nil
Digital photo (include if possible): Will include when return to tank

I would only half dose the whitespot medication with having sensitive fish.
Corys are not prone to whitespot. So you could maybe isolate them to the quarantine tank.

Raise temp to 30.
Remove black carbon from filter if you use it.
Increase aeration.
Half dose the whitespot med if you decide to treat the whole tank with the corys still in.

Good Luck.

Was planning on heat and salt method as getting to an LFS with a reasonable med stock will be tricky and all I have in is Melafix but have received conflicting info RE: Cories and salinities. I would be aiming for about 2g / L from the papers I have seen. 4g if it's still present after 31 days.

What brands of treatment would you recommend if I can get them from either of my LFS?

Anit whitespot medication by interpet.
Or a whitespot med by waterlife called protozin.

Only had whitespot once when I used to keep fish and use a medication.
Never use the heat and salt method so can't really offer any advice.

Ok, so on advice from LFS and various online sources, didn't use heat and slat for the sake of the cories. Raise tank temp to 88, increased aeration (upped rate of bubbles and moved filters higher) and began a course of King British WS3.

Malachite Green (4% solution) 10% w/w
Acriflavine 0.05% w/w
Quinine Sulphate 0.04% w/w

Dose is 1ml/90L half dose for sensitive fish, so my tank is getting 0.5ml per 48 hrs.

Shortly after 1st dose I noticed one of the cories was having swim bladder issues, struggling to lower himself. I began prepping a hospital tank for him. 24 hrs later he could not move off the bottom, I netted him and brought him near the surface (I know they need some air occasionally so moved him to where he could get some if he needed by thrashing) sadly he didn't make it, died about 30hrs after treatment began.

48 hrs after treatment one of the pentazonas began displaying troubling behaviour, chaotic tumbling, usually resulting in floating on his back. He was able to control his buoyancy by swimming but struggled to control both buoyancy and position he#s still tumbling round the tank.

Also, the cories seem to e trying to eat the parasites off the pentazonas.

Still no symptoms on cories or gourami. Any gurther advice would be appreciated.

Ok, further update.

All pentazonas succumbed, symptoms possible present on Gourami and two cories (could be spots, could be air bubbles, I'm not sure, they're much smaller than the spots on the barbs were). Gourami has been very unhappy so have had to reduce aeration a little in order to calm the tank down a bit.

Continuing with course of King British and reducing temperature slightly on advice from vet. Slowing down the life cycle gives the susceptible life phases longer to be affected by treatment.

Claims that King British can cure ich in 48 hrs are greatly exaggerated.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back