What to put in a nano tank??

Narnie

Reaction score
I have an 8 gallon planted tank and I was wanting advice on what to Put in it. Is 4 or 5 guppies(preferably male so they donā€™t breed) 4 dwarf Corydoras and maybe a few shrimp too much for my tank?

sounds ok to me but make sure the filter is established before adding the catfish and shrimp. :)

Up to 5 male guppies or endlers will be ok if this is a standard rectangle 8 gal tank, usually I recommend a larger tank for these species as they are active little fish but they will be ok.

You do not mention what water hardness you have, guppies, endlers and indeed most livebearer species are hardwater fish, they will not survive for too long in soft water am afraid.

So it may be worth checking out your local water authority website and see what is listed under water hardness or water quality, or alternatively you could take a sample of tap water to your LFS and they may be able to find out for you with thier test kit, some are free of charge whilst others may charge a small fee for this. Do ensure you ask for specific readings as this may be important information as to what species of fish or even shrimps that would suit your water supply best.

Another stocking option may be just a single betta splenden, 8 gal tank is between the recommended 5 to 10 gal tank size they are happiest in according to many betta keepers.

One thing with betta, can be hit or miss on whether you can keep shrimps with betta , some will ignore the shrimps whilst others will happily make a feast of the shrimps!! Just depends on the bettas temperament really.

Shrimps will be perfectly fine in this sized tank, I would recommend Red Cherry Shrimps or RCS as they are commonly known. These are one of the hardiest shrimp species around and many LFS stocks these and are generally pretty cheap to obtain.

Water changes and keeping an eye on water parameters is a must when keeping shrimps as they tend to be more sensitive to water parameters than fish, especially in a new tank set up.

And lastly, I would not recommend any catfish in this size of tank, simply put, the footprint of the tank is not large enough to keep a small shoal of 6 cories thriving for long.

In general the larger the group of cories, the happier they are as they are very social fish (in the wild they shoal in large groups of at least hundreds of not thousands!)

Oh, forgot to mention, the majority of coradora species are soft water fish, so certainly be sure about your water hardness before getting either guppies / endlers (hard water) or cories (soft water).

Neither species will not survive for long if in wrong water hardness parameters for them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back