Question about food for guppy-only tank

JCinPA

Fish Crazy
Supporting Member ⭐
Joined
Apr 23, 2026
Messages
277
Reaction score
167
Points
43
Location
Philadelphia
I'm cycling a 10-gallon tank which will only have male guppies in it, no community fish. I have TetraMin Tropical Flakes and Fluval Bug Bites (small pellets) and I think that's pretty appropriate for them.

I've recently found out about TetraMin Guppy mini flakes. I've just been crushing the standard flakes before feeding and it works. Is there any reason to change to the guppy-specific flakes? If so, what about Aquarium Co-op small fish food? If I change foods I might get that instead, I'd like to support Aquarium Co-Op simply because Cory puts out such excellent educational content.

Unrelated, the expiration dates on my fish food containers are in 2029. I'm guessing that is unopened. I've heard you should replace these dried foods 6 months after opening. Is that correct, or might they go a year or more if stored in their original containers in a cool dry place.

Thanks!
 
We have members who put all but a small amount of food into double zip-lock bags in the freezer, keeping all but the small amount for current use out of the freezer. The reason for the double bagging is to make sure no dampness gets inside.
 
Oh, great idea! I have a vacuum sealer, I can seal some of it and freeze that. I think the regular flakes are fine getting crushed up by me when feeding.
 
I have small fish (ember tetras) in my tank and I always crush flakes for them.

I can't find the ingredients for the guppy flakes - well I can but in languages I don't speak. The 'general' flakes are not the best food as cereals are the second ingredient so when those are gone, I suggest something better. For example, New Life Spectrum make better quality food, though not one specifically for guppies. Hopefully one of our US members will know which of the better foods are available there.
 
When this is gone or stale, I will get the Aquarium Co-Op Magic Small Fish Feed. I trust their stuff. Oh, by the way, AFTER opening is 6 months the right time to replace dried foods? Thanks.

Ingredients: Whole Krill Meal, Whole Anchovy Meal, Whole Shrimp Meal, Wheat Flour, Fish Oil, Yeast, Vitamins and Minerals — calcium phosphate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Vitamin A Acetate, Choline Chloride, α-Tocopherol Acetate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Cholecalciferol (D-Activated Animal Sterol), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Inositol, Calcium lodate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, microecological preparations, antioxidants

Guaranteed Analysis:
— Crude Protein (Min.) 55%
— Crude Fat (Min.) 6%
— Crude Fiber (Max.) 3%
— Ash (Max.) 10%
— Moisture (Max.) 10%
 
That food is fine. The first 3 ingredients are whole named fish/shrimp meal and wheat flour (a binder) is #4.

However, I haven't kept guppies for a long time as I have softish water and can't remember if they need veggies in their diet. If they do, things like a thin slice of zucchini, removed next day before it can go mushy, would be good for them instead of flakes once every so often.
 
From a Google AI search, guppies are omnivores, and don't need veggies in addition to good, balanced flake or pellet food, but veggies can help with their digestive health.

I may blanch a spinach leaf for a minute and drop it in once a week. Take out the uneaten bits after 3 hours.
 
Last edited:
If you give the tank a year to produce algae they can live off the algae with just a touch of protein now and then. Guppies are most excellent algae eaters - far better then pleco, otto, snails and your scrapper put together.
 
I'm cycling a 10-gallon tank which will only have male guppies in it, no community fish. I have TetraMin Tropical Flakes and Fluval Bug Bites (small pellets) and I think that's pretty appropriate for them.

I've recently found out about TetraMin Guppy mini flakes. I've just been crushing the standard flakes before feeding and it works. Is there any reason to change to the guppy-specific flakes? If so, what about Aquarium Co-op small fish food? If I change foods I might get that instead, I'd like to support Aquarium Co-Op simply because Cory puts out such excellent educational content.

Unrelated, the expiration dates on my fish food containers are in 2029. I'm guessing that is unopened. I've heard you should replace these dried foods 6 months after opening. Is that correct, or might they go a year or more if stored in their original containers in a cool dry place.

Thanks!
Hello JC. I've been using products from New Life Spectrum and Finsect for quite some time and I don't believe you can get better foods for your fish. The Optimum Flakes and the small bites are all natural, no fillers of any kind. I generally feed a couple of times a day. I keep and breed Brassy Minnows from my local ponds. These fish are quite similar to Guppies, but do get a bit larger. Try these foods and be sure to remove and replace a lot of tank water and do this frequently.

10
 
For guppies, you need a degree of fiber, so check the breakdown on the food you choose. It's a competitive market, so there are lots of choices though they may be online and in larger quantities.

Guppies are easy to feed, and even easier to overfeed...
 
I've heard that. I've been feeding them twice a day. Fed once today, may not feed tomorrow, start again on Monday.

I'm very happy with my current food, Fluval Bug Bites, in particular, has a great reputation. I'll replace the TetraMin with the Aquarium Co-Op product when it's time.
 
Those expiration dates just might be for unopened cans of food . I think you’re right that they should be replaced at 6 months or maybe even sooner . Think about this - a guy buys a bag of potato chips and the expiration date is July 2072 or some such thing and you open it and eat a handful then put the bag away and forget you have them and find them six months later . I bet they’re pretty stale and not at all tasty anymore .
 
Yep. Makes sense. Good news is I started the tank at the 6-month bday for #3 grandson. I can remember to change the food on his birthday and half birthday.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top