What Does It Mean When A Fish Scrape Itself On The Sand?

tattae

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What does it mean when a fish scrape itself on the sand or on the wood/rock? Looks like it was scratching itself. It would do it a couple of time and off to do something else. :S

Usually means something is wrong. Bad water conditions, parasites (ich, worms, protozoans) or something else. What's the fish, water parameters, tank size, etc?

Is it a definate scrape or a flick. Flicking can be part of the breeding/mating ritual. Mine sometimes do it when I've just done a cold water change.

Consistant scraping could be sign of ich maybe? Can you see anything on the fish like little white specks? Also to be on safe side take your water stats.

My fronts rub on the sand in an unusual way. It's not flicking to a female or male or ich. It reminds me of the rub a cat does to mark territory.

being in the cichlid forum, i would imagine they are cichlids. and who knows what those things are doing. they are always doing something weird.

my africans also flick themselves across the sand. especially my biggest yellow lab. when she gets really hyper and excited about whatever, she'll race across the bottom and scratch against the sand. sometimes will do it against the glass or rocks too. she's a little nuts. some of my little mbuna do it too.

And I agree with RRasco "they ARE always doing something weird". :good:

Rubbing sideways across the sand then seems a little universal for African cichlids in general. But I have some concern if the fish is "flicking" against rock or wood??? That seems a little more unusual. Although the fish is acting unconcerned according to the description, so....

Just best to check stats and watch for anything unusual, like salt shaker white sprinkles. But don't we do that anyway? :S

Parasites, etc. many possibilities. Almost every fish does it though, if you see it flicking once in a while with no visible effects, just keep an eye on it but don't get stressed out over it.

If they are Mbuna, it is almost certainly normal behaviour - a sign of aggression or claiming territory. We need to know what fish you are referring to though to be certain.

Thank you all for the reply, and sorry for lack of info. It's a brand new tank (cycled, I guess). I've just added 14 demasoni and 5 yellow labs in the tank. They are still small about 1.5", so very cute by the way. I'm pretty sure they were not flicking. They would scrape on the sand a couple of times, and shaking their bodies (actually more like having hick-ups or choking) for a second or two, then off to do something else. They never scrape themselves on the rock/wood. I couldn't see ick spots but it may be too soon to tell. I have never checked the water stats, which is bad, I know. Will do that soon.

In my other tank, though, the dwarf cichlids would sometimes brushed themselves on the wood here and there. But they seem fine and healthy.

Another silly question, my yellow labs (1 day in tank only) would swim up and down at the glass constantly. Are they just simply trying to get out? or just exploring their boundary?

I'm very excited about my new tank, will upload the pictures to show to you soon. :)

Would love to see pics.

That is a lot of fish to add all at once. They could have been having a bit of difficulty with that. But if the tank was cycled, hopefully it passed quickly, with only minor stress.

In my experience, it is better to add just a few fish at a time, unless you have some bacteria rich substance to add.

Nothing to worry about then, very typical Demasoni behaviour.

I hope your tank is fully cycled though (you don't seem sure) because if not i doubt they will all survive the process, Demasoni are not at all hardy and very sensitive to water parameters.

Sorry to be a bit gloomy but i thought you should know. :/

Agree with Ferris. If you had said that you'd cycled your tank without fish then it is fine to add all those fish at once in fact it is recommended. However if you didn't then you may have problems. You need to keep a very close watch on your water stats, testing daily imho. Any readings of ammonia or nitrite you will need to do water changes pronto. :)

My Mbuna do it occasionally. Most of the time it is following a water change when there are sand particles flaoting around, and possibly something to do with the new water going into the tank. I use Seachem Prime as a conditioner by the way.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back