went plant collecting...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Heā€™s definitely about 8 weeks old. Looks healthy. His eye could be genetic. Doesnā€™t really look like an injury. Heā€™s fine.
Will his colour change?
I'm thinking this is the wild type coloring, but ive heard their colours can develop later on. It'd be a shame, in a way, because it's actually very pretty in person.

Will his colour change?
I'm thinking this is the wild type coloring, but ive heard their colours can develop later on. It'd be a shame, in a way, because it's actually very pretty in person.
To be honest, I donā€™t know. I always sold mine by 9-10 weeks. Some were still that color when I sold them. I only got this color when I bred a shubunkin and a comet.

To be honest, I donā€™t know. I always sold mine by 9-10 weeks. Some were still that color when I sold them. I only got this color when I bred a shubunkin and a comet.
Haha well... we got different colours wild here, comets and commons.
Took this video last year, uploaded it today.

Will his colour change?
It is a pretty colour, he's almost bronze :) Some of the fish in my folks pond have remained similar to that colour, more wild type. Theirs might be a bit darker though, hard to tell when viewed from above, but they're obviously much older than 8 weeks and still that colour, so will cross fingers for you.

Edit: Sorry @NCaquatics, gonna move my question to it's own thread, not wanting to try to hijack your thread! My apologies <3

Last edited:
@NCaquatics I took my dog for a walk today, and ended up carrying home most of a silver birch tree (for real), thanks to your collecting from the wild advice :rofl: Will try to remember to snag a photo tomorrow. I got some funny looks I can tell you.
I'm so used to weird looks, I never notice anymore.

But its my husband who causes the funny looks, not me haha

@Deanasue

What type of "habitat" do goldies prefer?

Right now I've just got a heck ton of water hyacinths but I don't know if they alone would make a goldfish happy.
Goldfish eat almost any plant you give them. They leave anubias and amazon swords alone. They love duckweed. Are you wanting things for outdoors or indoors? My pond has stones on the bottom, duckweed, and water lettuce but they eat it all faster than I can keep up with it. I have some smooth driftwood. Their favorite thing is a large clay flower pot turned on its side. They sleep in it. I use a lot of fake plants indoors since they tear up live plants. I feed mine Tetra floating pond sticks. Fall brand in winter and Spring in Summer. Indoors they eat New Life Spectrum large goldfish pellets, peas, Goldfish Bug Bites.

Goldfish eat almost any plant you give them. They leave anubias and amazon swords alone. They love duckweed. Are you wanting things for outdoors or indoors? My pond has stones on the bottom, duckweed, and water lettuce but they eat it all faster than I can keep up with it. I have some smooth driftwood. Their favorite thing is a large clay flower pot turned on its side. They sleep in it. I use a lot of fake plants indoors since they tear up live plants. I feed mine Tetra floating pond sticks. Fall brand in winter and Spring in Summer. Indoors they eat New Life Spectrum large goldfish pellets, peas, Goldfish Bug Bites.
Both indoors and outdoors! The little guy will be outside during the warmer months most likely. Husband says the pond would be better outside than inside lol

I like the clay flower pot idea! I have sword plants too if I choose to go the planted route.

I ended up looking for a companion for the tiny guy. All their feeders were super ill so wasn't grabbing any of those, and their comets and shibunkins were HUGE. Would have eaten my little guy in one bite.

I ended up falling in love with a tiny little lionhead. So at least temporarily the little guy has a buddy who has been teaching him to eat prepared foods. Once bigger though, ill get a comet/common/shibunken whatever, that mixes better with him long term. While keeping the little fancy lionhead strictly indoors with another fancy.
20200804_140615.jpg
20200802_164343.jpg

I'm aware of the special needs these guys have. So temporary companion for the tiny guy until the little one grows larger and is more competitive for food. The lionhead outeats the tiny guy.

Both under treatment with flubendozole. Petsmart fish seem to have worms all the time, so opted to treat both anyways.

But ive been totally smitten with the lionhead. Such a sweet little fish, my son named him or her Puff because he was reminded of a puffer fish lol

Youā€™ll soon see why I love goldfish so much. They are real pets. The Lionhead is a real cutie! Redcap Orandaā€™s are also. A Regular oranda grows too big of a wren for my liking but the redcaps have a little red cap. So cute! Oh, you seem to already know but the fancy Goldies canā€™t handle outdoor elements.

Youā€™ll soon see why I love goldfish so much. They are real pets. The Lionhead is a real cutie! Redcap Orandaā€™s are also. A Regular oranda grows too big of a wren for my liking but the redcaps have a little red cap. So cute! Oh, you seem to already know but the fancy Goldies canā€™t handle outdoor elements.
Yeah I read the fancies, especially lionheads, cant handle temperature fluctuations well, so i opted to bring my grow out tote inside for them and don't plan on having the fancies outdoors.
And with lionheads if they develop a really full hood they may have vision problems. My guy barely has any wen, but he's only like 2 inches so I may see it grow as he gets bigger. I think he may be a he, i dont know lol. But given the needs for lionheads, I will likely get a second lionhead when these two are ready to be separated.

I saw some nice orandas at the store too, but they were like 4 inches which would eat the baby lol

I've been reading as much as I can into the finer details of their care. I've never ever had goldfish before, not even as a kid. But the little lionhead is so stinking cute, just wobbles along. I dont call that swimming lol.

I've been getting them to eat Hikari Goldfish Staple baby pellets. The lionhead likes them though theyre a bit big for the baby. But also some OmegaOne kelp pellets and some tropical flakes they both eat. Plus they have duckweed and hornwort, though they don't really touch the hornwort.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back