went plant collecting...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
... and came home with a goldfish.

So it is illegal to release it after I caught it, so I ended up taking it home.

It is a wee little baby, they are invasive in our waterways, they breed as well here.

I've got him inside for now, to get him used to eating prepared foods, and under deworming treatment, then he will go outside in our small pond. We are looking to buy a house within this year, with having a pond planned, so he will have somewhere to go when he gets bigger (he is a comet)

I've named him Neowise, after the recent comet. Since he is a comet goldfish.

Photo of him in a cup during travel and acclimation
View attachment 111380View attachment 111381

His TEMPORARY homeView attachment 111382

Where I caught him
View attachment 111383

He is literally super tiny, like neon tetra tiny.

@Deanasue
He is so sweet!

I wish I had room for a pond. I love goldfish, but they grow so big.

Stickleback is an interesting fish, they are an invasive spiese here. I caught one in the stream below my house and kept him for about a year,
Sticklebacks are brilliant!

They used to be very common in ponds and streams round here, but not so much now. I used to have some in a tank - the males develop a beautiful rich red belly during the breeding season, and make a nest and protect the eggs. they breed freely in a tank IME

Last edited:
@Deanasue
Looking at stock tanks, I definitely like the idea of using one of the big rubbermaid stock tanks for an indoor pond (my fish room is going to be in the basement)...

Would 150 gallon stock tub be good for 2 commons/comets and perhaps some smaller fish like rosy red minnows?
I don't know how big rosy minnows get, but in my experience goldfish will quite happily devour ANYTHING they can get in their mouths- and that includes smaller fish!

The Savage Kingdom of the Goldfish is a cruel realm. :lol:

Yes, once he is larger. I dont expect once he is bigger that he won't be on even grounds with Puff. But all the singe tails at the store were big enough to eat him or dying in the feeder tank. But I dont want Neowise to be by himself either and husband is on board for the pond, so i will get him a single tailed buddy later on.

But given his blind side, would HE be outcompeted by others?

I like how active these fish are. And they're just very easy going. I had a really bad day last week and it really made it better to sit and watch them just happily bopping along in the tote.
I like goldies - they are always busy about some personal errand of their own, but at the same time they don't dart about which I find off-putting, personally. Mr LostBear's neons are always squabbling over something or other, and lunging about, while MY Glowlights just glide with quiet dignity around the tank) Goldfish have the same stately carriage, I think, but also give the impression of knowing what they are about.

And they are a lot more intelligent than anyone gives them credit for.

Last edited:
Husband gets home from work.

I ask him after about 30 min "Did you see Puff's new home?"

Him: "yeah...? You moved it around a bit yesterday right?"

Me: "yeah but I asked about his new home."

Him: "....?"

Hahaha I showed him and he shook his head
Men!

They never disappoint, do they? :lol:

I just love them both. Puff may be a cross. He has the body of a ranchu but the head is not. So stinking cute though. Here’s a couple of my young’uns. The red cap is “Cheeto” and the calico is “Speedy”. See how they come right up to the camera? That’s why I love goldies so much. They love you back! Speedy was suppose to be a telescope but the man sent me the wrong fish. I think he’s a ranchu also.View attachment 112185View attachment 112186View attachment 112187
I thought the same thing!!!! Although not a goldie keeper. :)

Neowise and Puff are doing awesome. My son absolutely loves interacting with them everyday. He talks to them and gets "kisskiss" as he calls it where he gets them to nibble his fingers.

Neowise is almost 2 inches now, so hes gotten bigger. Eats anything given to him now without hesitation.
Puff is just a sweetheart. Curious and adorable, its hard not to fall in love with him all over again every day. I noticed something neat, hes got 2 different colored eyes. One is red, the other is blue.

I put my son's apple snail in the tote pond too. She is happy with the space and gets along well with the goldies.
20200908_195219.jpg

20200908_195145.jpg

20200908_195156.jpg

20200908_195205.jpg

Rearranged their pond a bit. Their filter is a DIY box style filter, seems to be working well enough.
20200908_195447.jpg

Neowise and Puff are doing awesome. My son absolutely loves interacting with them everyday. He talks to them and gets "kisskiss" as he calls it where he gets them to nibble his fingers.

Neowise is almost 2 inches now, so hes gotten bigger. Eats anything given to him now without hesitation.
Puff is just a sweetheart. Curious and adorable, its hard not to fall in love with him all over again every day. I noticed something neat, hes got 2 different colored eyes. One is red, the other is blue.

I put my son's apple snail in the tote pond too. She is happy with the space and gets along well with the goldies.
View attachment 115649
View attachment 115647
View attachment 115648
View attachment 115650

Rearranged their pond a bit. Their filter is a DIY box style filter, seems to be working well enough.
View attachment 115651
Goldfish are an absolute delight!

i wish I had space for them again - but we no longer have our little pond, and only a small tank.

Thank you for the update, NC. I really envy your son his tiny goldfish "kisses"!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back