went plant collecting...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yeah I read the fancies, especially lionheads, cant handle temperature fluctuations well, so i opted to bring my grow out tote inside for them and don't plan on having the fancies outdoors.
And with lionheads if they develop a really full hood they may have vision problems. My guy barely has any wen, but he's only like 2 inches so I may see it grow as he gets bigger. I think he may be a he, i dont know lol. But given the needs for lionheads, I will likely get a second lionhead when these two are ready to be separated.

I saw some nice orandas at the store too, but they were like 4 inches which would eat the baby lol

I've been reading as much as I can into the finer details of their care. I've never ever had goldfish before, not even as a kid. But the little lionhead is so stinking cute, just wobbles along. I dont call that swimming lol.

I've been getting them to eat Hikari Goldfish Staple baby pellets. The lionhead likes them though theyre a bit big for the baby. But also some OmegaOne kelp pellets and some tropical flakes they both eat. Plus they have duckweed and hornwort, though they don't really touch the hornwort.
Funny, mine don’t like hornwort either.

Some photos of Puff, and their baby grow out
20200805_140730.jpg

20200805_140536.jpg

20200805_140424.jpg

20200805_140715.jpg

20200805_140601.jpg

I'm gonna add a clay pot cave under the hyacinth roots

You have a cute little fish in a cute little tank:snap:

Temporary, though, ill be getting larger as they grow. Didn't want to go too big from the start with such a tiny baby who isn't used to processed foods yet. Its just a 20 gallon to start.

My cats took off the mesh lid and got at my water hyacinths so I had to move them outside D: toxic to cats, so no good.

I added sand substrate to the baby tote "pond" and a pot and some other decor that didn't really have use in my planted tanks. Hornwort is real, rest are plastic.

20200807_211333.jpg

Theyre happy in there. You can see Neowise in here. He has learned food sits on the surface of the water now too, not just on the bottom. He has a preference for flakes. And duckweed. I gave them some duckweed as a snack. Tomorrow im going to try some blanched peas for them.

Neowise is more wary but actively picks at stuff all around.

Puff the lionhead (or is he a ranchu? So hard to tell) is outgoing and constantly going all over the place. Very bubbly little fish. Puff was behind the blue rock for that photo.

I just love them both. Puff may be a cross. He has the body of a ranchu but the head is not. So stinking cute though. Here’s a couple of my young’uns. The red cap is “Cheeto” and the calico is “Speedy”. See how they come right up to the camera? That’s why I love goldies so much. They love you back! Speedy was suppose to be a telescope but the man sent me the wrong fish. I think he’s a ranchu also.
469031B2-A355-47D6-8771-9E5CB142A989.jpeg
A7B3A50A-1EB5-48CC-8DB6-81C2899529D8.jpeg
072EAE4C-345D-4EBE-B04F-01453AD7822A.jpeg

Last edited:
I just love them both. Puff may be a cross. He has the body of a ranchu but the head is not. So stinking cute though. Here’s a couple of my young’uns. The red cap is “Cheeto” and the calico is “Speedy”. See how they come right up to the camera? That’s why I love goldies so much. They love you back! Speedy was suppose to be a telescope but the man sent me the wrong fish. I think he’s a ranchu also.View attachment 112185View attachment 112186View attachment 112187
Both are gorgeous but man Speedy is super cute!

Now since I don't plan on keeping both goldies together longterm permanently, how large of a tank for 2 fancies?

Both are gorgeous but man Speedy is super cute!

Now since I don't plan on keeping both goldies together longterm permanently, how large of a tank for 2 fancies?
30G at minimum. 20G for first and 10 for each additional one. Are you going to get Neowise a single tailed friend for the pond? ;) Edit: Sorry, can’t add. Changed 40 to 30. :)

30G at minimum. 20G for first and 10 for each additional one. Are you going to get Neowise a single tailed friend for the pond? ;) Edit: Sorry, can’t add. Changed 40 to 30. :)

Yes, once he is larger. I dont expect once he is bigger that he won't be on even grounds with Puff. But all the singe tails at the store were big enough to eat him or dying in the feeder tank. But I dont want Neowise to be by himself either and husband is on board for the pond, so i will get him a single tailed buddy later on.

But given his blind side, would HE be outcompeted by others?

I like how active these fish are. And they're just very easy going. I had a really bad day last week and it really made it better to sit and watch them just happily bopping along in the tote.

A mini update...

Neowise has learned now to beg for food when he sees me come up to the tote. They gained a guppy fry friend too. I ended up keeping a guppy fry boy and turned out he is mean to the other fish in my community so hes now gonna be a companion to the fancy goldies. He has tried to boss them around already too. But he begs with the goldies as well!!

Bit blurry but the three of them were going nuts waiting for me to feed them
20200812_081935.jpg

Neowise is growing, but so is Puff! Both doing great, beg for food. Been feeding twice a day since theyre babies. Just small servings each feeding. Morning they get their mix of Hikari pellets and some Bug Bites Spirulina flakes. Evening they get OmegaOne flakes. As a treat I may give them some live baby brine shrimp in place of the OmegaOne.

I made their "pond" a little more homey and decorative.
20200820_224718.jpg

20200820_224754.jpg

The three of them get along great.
20200820_225130.jpg

20200820_225001.jpg

20200820_225039.jpg

20200820_225040.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back