went plant collecting...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

oh I should also mention that Neowise the goldfish is blind in one eye. Dunno whats up with the one eye, but its pretty odd looking.
20200731_173120.jpg

You can see him here picking at the duckweed, you can see tbe eye too
20200801_134027.jpg

But he is adorable. I've always liked goldfish but just have never had to opportunity, and was going to wait until after we got our house...
20200801_134034.jpg

... but then this lol its not illegal to keep him but it is illegal for me to release him after catching him in the wild. So my choices are to keep or kill him. If given the legal choice, i would much rather keep him. So it is a little earlier than planned, but hey.

I had a mudminnow too, he was small but he grew to be about 5 inches long. You need a fishing license here to. I caught him to in the stream below my house.
Which of the two do you recommend?

Which of the two do you recommend?
I liked the stickleback just looks cooler, The one I had I kept in with my turtles and he would dart around. I gave him plenty of hiding places and the turtles seem to leave him alone. I could not release him by law but there were a lot more in that little stream. Now it is flooded with a good 3-4 feet of water. When I caught him it was less than a foot. Almost the whole area is under water. I see a lot of little fish and some big ones that swam up stream from the river in there now.

Well actually he is a common goldfish, learned that comets have longer tails.

But the name for him still stands haha

He is too small for my Hikari Goldfish pellets and he isnt touching the spirulina flakes, but he IS eating the tiny size of micropellets. So transitioning to prepared food over wild foods i think should be fairly easy for him.

I know relatively little about goldfish care other than they get big, are more herbivore on the omnivore side and that they're social and like company of other goldfish. Also no heater mostly. So been doing a crash course for the more definite details.

Very conflicting info on tank sizes though.
I plan on bringing the fish indoors during the cold months. What size tank will 2 commons/comets need? What sized pond should I look at to build when we move for a more "permanent" pond instead of a tub pond we have here.
Get ready...are you sitting down? One single tailed goldfish needs a 40 gallon tank with an extra 20 gallons for each additional one. Once full grown, they will need a 100 gallons for first fish and 50 for each additional.

Get ready...are you sitting down? One single tailed goldfish needs a 40 gallon tank with an extra 20 gallons for each additional one. Once full grown, they will need a 100 gallons for first fish and 50 for each additional.
I'm good with that :D I can even think about a permanent indoor pond tub around that size for them :) 150 gallon tub... that would be a fun pond project.

@Deanasue
Looking at stock tanks, I definitely like the idea of using one of the big rubbermaid stock tanks for an indoor pond (my fish room is going to be in the basement)...

Would 150 gallon stock tub be good for 2 commons/comets and perhaps some smaller fish like rosy red minnows?

@Deanasue
Looking at stock tanks, I definitely like the idea of using one of the big rubbermaid stock tanks for an indoor pond (my fish room is going to be in the basement)...

Would 150 gallon stock tub be good for 2 commons/comets and perhaps some smaller fish like rosy red minnows?
It would. My garden pond is only 150G with 4 goldies in it. Found the baby a little over a month ago. I let mine eat the eggs this year but one survived. Keep that in mind. You usually end up with a couple of babies in the Spring. I’m getting a larger stock tank next Spring because my biggest common can only swim horizontally now. Too large to go up Vertically. Pond is only 18” deep.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back