Thinking of going from artificial decorations to live plants. How can I make this less stressful for fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

GuppyFanaticxd

Reaction score
Hi again. I've had a 10 gallon tank for over a year but I'm starting to think of switching from artificial to live plants. How can I make it less stressful, since it could be a drastic change in aquarium? I can also provide tank parameters if needed, and any advice is appreciated. :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention I have gravel in my tank. How can I maintain such plants in the gravel?

Last edited:
Hi, I left my artificial plants in while my new plants started to grow and then removed them gradually so there were still places places for the fish to hide.

There are some plants that grow better in gravel. Do a little research in our choices.
As for how to make the transition that depends on what the aquascape is now. If you just have a few fake plants then replacing them with similar real plants will minimally stress the fish. However, if you have a fake log or hiding place removing it will be more stressful without some driftwood or similar hiding place with overhead cover.

Also, removing fake plants, and/or planting live plants, can make a real mess of the substrate, and this could easily poison the fish in the tank. It would help to know more of the situation; tank size, what is the gravel substrate, what fish, etc. If for example you have at hand the live plants you intend, it would be easier on the fish to remove them to a temporary tank/container and do the re-scape. If you intend replacing the gravel this temp tank/container is mandatory. On the substrate, what fish do you have and what is intended? Some need sand, others are fine with small gravel.

Also, removing fake plants, and/or planting live plants, can make a real mess of the substrate, and this could easily poison the fish in the tank. It would help to know more of the situation; tank size, what is the gravel substrate, what fish, etc. If for example you have at hand the live plants you intend, it would be easier on the fish to remove them to a temporary tank/container and do the re-scape. If you intend replacing the gravel this temp tank/container is mandatory. On the substrate, what fish do you have and what is intended? Some need sand, others are fine with small gravel.

I have guppies and platies in my tank. Would plants like java ferns be good in gravel?

I have guppies and platies in my tank. Would plants like java ferns be good in gravel?
No, java fern, anubias are rhizome plants which means they suck up all their nutrients through their roots and they also need to be tied to either wood or rocks.

I agree with Salty&Onion, attach Java Fern and Anubias to wood or rock, the rhizome must not be buried or it may rot. The true roots will or may grow down into the substrate, or remain in the water column. Obviously substrate tab fertilizers will be no benefit to these plants.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back