The Wet Spot just added something I HATE!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I'll echo what others said, which is not something you agree with.

Their selection is literally second to none and their pricing is, in my opinion, extremely fair. They do a phenomenal job packaging their fish (I did not have a DOA when I ordered 6 fish in the middle of winter) and shipping is very fair.

When I ordered in January I chose the $5 insurance because my entire order was $160 dollars w/ shipping and I couldn't imagine getting a DOA and starting from scratch.

If they were known for overcharging and poor service, I'd feel differently.

$5 insurance is a deal. I bought 2 fish for $180 all together, and I don’t mind paying $5. Would you rather lose the fish and the money you paid for it, or get your money back/get the fish back.

I am not rich, and I’m a teen. So every dollar counts…worth it to me.

$5 insurance is a deal. I bought 2 fish for $180 all together, and I don’t mind paying $5. Would you rather lose the fish and the money you paid for it, or get your money back/get the fish back.

I am not rich, and I’m a teen. So every dollar counts…worth it to me.
they had a DOA refund program thing before that anyway

Okay. Let me chime in on this. I used to work for UPS at one of their air sort operations at the airport here in Billings Montana USA. You would be horrified at how your packages are handled. The name of the shipping game is Fast , Faster And More Faster. Your precious packages are thrown, dropped , left out in the cold and left in the heat. Absolutely no care or concern is given your shipment. I asked a UPS bigwig about this and he told me they have a certain amount of claims built into the equation. They can replace a certain amount of collateral damage and not have it hurt them. The schedule is all important. You are not. Mine is one dinky little Podunk airport in DogBite Montana. Can you imagine that amplified to the Nth degree in , say , Los Angeles or Houston ? So if you want your fish absolutely guaranteed alive then pay the five bucks. I think Wet Spot found out the hard way about UPS and FedEx.

The schedule is all important. You are not. Mine is one dinky little Podunk airport in DogBite Montana. Can you imagine that amplified to the Nth degree in , say , Los Angeles or Houston ?
Indeed. With the total headache that logistics is thesedays, that "gotta move it fast" mantra is amplified. $39.95 is a damn good rate for overnight, they probably are breaking even on shipping expenses once you take into account that so far in the last 6 months alone both ups and FedEx have raised their rates at least twice. Inflation is real, as is rising fuel costs. I have yet to buy fish online, precisely because even though I'm a grown man making decent money, I've got expenses to cover and my hobby takes second place, I spend what I can when I can and if I can go to the lfs or lps and buy fish at the same price that the wet spot has, well, I'm saving $40, or I guess $45 now. Then again, that variety they have is far superior to what I find locally. The prices for "common" fish are basically the same, and I get a similar "doa" protection.

Supply and demand, and tighten your belt when/as needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sell and ship very expensive fish. I cannot send a small box of anything anywhere for $40. But understand this. You cannot insure live cargo when shipping with the USPS, UPS or FedEx. Airport to airport is different, there you can insure. With UPS and FedEx the best you might get is a refund if the box was not delivered by the promised time. You will get 0 for the fish that may have died due to the delay.

In this and the last oil price spike all the shippers (not the USPS) put on fuel surcharges of more than $5/box. I sent 44 plecos to CA from NY vi UPS recently with morning delivery guaranteed. The box weighed about 20 pounds and was not huge. The shipping was $161. But the retail value of the fish in the box was about $6,000. So the shipping was about 2.6% of the value of the fish.

Now is that box had been delayed and the fish died, who do you think suffers that loss? It was me. So If I had asked for a $39.99 shipping and a $5 surcharge for "insurance," I would not have been out $6,000 but another $45. And both the recipient and I would have been happy to pay just $44.99 in shipping instead of $161. I offer the same live arrival guarantee as everyone else. But all the risk is mine or the other sellers as well.

I sell and ship very expensive fish. I cannot send a small box of anything anywhere for $40. But understand this. You cannot insure live cargo when shipping with the USPS, UPS or FedEx. Airport to airport is different, there you can insure. With UPS and FedEx the best you might get is a refund if the box was not delivered by the promised time. You will get 0 for the fish that may have died due to the delay.

In this and the last oil price spike all the shippers (not the USPS) put on fuel surcharges of more than $5/box. I sent 44 plecos to CA from NY vi UPS recently with morning delivery guaranteed. The box weighed about 20 pounds and was not huge. The shipping was $161. But the retail value of the fish in the box was about $6,000. So the shipping was about 2.6% of the value of the fish.

Now is that box had been delayed and the fish died, who do you think suffers that loss? It was me. So If I had asked for a $39.99 shipping and a $5 surcharge for "insurance," I would not have been out $6,000 but another $45. And both the recipient and I would have been happy to pay just $44.99 in shipping instead of $161. I offer the same live arrival guarantee as everyone else. But all the risk is mine or the other sellers as well.
I think I understand now...

I've ordered fish from TWS many times, never had a DOA

I don't mind the added $5, given that overnight shipping is now a flat-rate $39.99, regardless of where you are in the States...I've paid $55 for just shipping in the past

Their stock selection is second-to-none, IME
When I bought coral, shipping was always around $50 for overnight. Plus it’s expensive to package frags, so I assume that’s part of the cost.

——-

But I agree with the above, $5 is a small price to pay for DOA guarantee.

@Rocky998, when you're a bit older and get a job (not working for the parents), this will be less of an issue. Until then, save your money and try to buy fish you can breed. Sell the babies and use the money or store credit from them, to reinvest in more fish, tanks and equipment. If you do it right, the fish will pay for themselves and maybe give you a few dollars to spend on other things.

Until then, maybe see if anyone locally needs their lawn mown or gardens weeded. I'm sure things are cheaper in the states but in Australia it costs about $40 to get a lawn mower guy to come and do a small front or back yard. Some places charge $80+ for a small yard. You might be able to get $20+ per yard by mowing neighbour's yards.

Just make sure they have any pets in the house and they clean up any pet poop before you mow. And see if they want the lawn clipping left on the lawn or put in their bin.

I'm sure things are cheaper in the states but in Australia it costs about $40 to get a lawn mower guy to come and do a small front or back yard.
My friend makes absolute bank with his lawn moving business. He’s only 16 and already has a car.

@Rocky998, when you're a bit older and get a job (not working for the parents), this will be less of an issue. Until then, save your money and try to buy fish you can breed. Sell the babies and use the money or store credit from them, to reinvest in more fish, tanks and equipment. If you do it right, the fish will pay for themselves and maybe give you a few dollars to spend on other things.

Until then, maybe see if anyone locally needs their lawn mown or gardens weeded. I'm sure things are cheaper in the states but in Australia it costs about $40 to get a lawn mower guy to come and do a small front or back yard. Some places charge $80+ for a small yard. You might be able to get $20+ per yard by mowing neighbour's yards.

Just make sure they have any pets in the house and they clean up any pet poop before you mow. And see if they want the lawn clipping left on the lawn or put in their bin.
Well see... I would do that if we had a powered mower... But we have a manual push mower that is "choppy" (pun intended). So I wouldn't have the conscious to charge someone for something that isn't necessarily that good... I'm able to make our yard look nice but it doesn't chop well so I really don't feel right about charging people for it

And just one more thing. Jet A is the most expensive fuel anywhere on earth. If you think that shipping is free you are living in a fantasy world.
My dad is a private pilot, so he definitely knows about how expensive that fuel is, lol. I think it was around $15,000 the last time he filled up his boss's jet.

My dad is a private pilot, so he definitely knows about how expensive that fuel is, lol. I think it was around $15,000 the last time he filled up his boss's jet.
I bet he does know. Now, look up the fuel consumption rates of any kind of airplane you can think of. That bit of information will rock your world. And don't think that ground shipping is any cheaper. See the price of diesel lately ?

Most reactions

trending

Back