The Wet Spot just added something I HATE!

About 10-15 years ago, the Chinese made a new type of nuclear power station. They called it dry rock or something but it used the entire amount of uranium and leaves no waste. They were able to run it off nuclear waste from older power stations too. And it is also impossible for the system to have a melt down.

Unfortunately I don't know if they are exporting the idea or what has happened to it, but if it is legit, it would be a great way to go, and I am against nuclear power and weapons so I don't say it lightly. But clean nuclear power with no waste and no chance of a melt down, I would have that in Australia.
There was an experimental cruise ship back in the 70s I believe that had a nuclear reactor. It could make round trips around the world without stopping for a very long time where as a normal coal or oil ship would have to keep refueling and make a !it of pollution. The sad thing was that nobody really wanted a nuclear ship pulling up into their harbors, so it was banned from a lot of them... If they were allowed t be at a certain harbor, they had to make reservations to pull up into a harbor months in advance because the people that owned the harbors were afraid of a nuclear meltdown or explosion. This never happened to the ship but the ship just stop being used after a while because of that fear from harbors (not enough money). The thing is, the military has been using nuclear reactors safely for many and many of years with no effects on the people or no bad incidents... As soon as it was brought to the public everyone (except for the people that paid to ride on it) was very afraid of something happening. There is always a possibility but there is always the possibility of a faulty oil engine on a ship blowing up... The way they build those reactors now are highly secure and they always have alarm systems...

We might get to see if history repeats itself soon in regard to nuclear power and the inherent dangers with that type of powerplant

As someone alive and kicking in the UK when Chernobyl went bang in 1986 and then years later taking physically and mentally damaged children from the region on holidays to the Isle of Wight where I lived and helped to run coaches, I would rather not revisit another explosion of that type in my remaining lifetime.

Three Mile Island in 1979 was a near miss as was Fukoshima after the quake and tsunami in 2011.

Chernobyl, Zaporizhzhia, Yuzhnoukrainsk, Rivne and Khmelnitsky nuclear power and waste recycling plants have all been attacked by Russian forces in the last 6 weeks

Nuclear power is, when well contained and maintained, extremely safe and clean. Afterall ships and submarines are powered by it as a replacement for diesel.....nuclear vessels can last almost indefinitely without the need to refuel and they don't pollute the water or atmosphere like a diesel/electric engine can. The biggest issue with nuclear vessels is what happens when they run out of working life and need to be scrapped...then things get a little sticky.

Many thought that the feature film "The China Syndrome" released on March 16th, 1979 was pure fiction and it could never happen in reality.

Three Mile Island's nuclear accident happened on March 28th, 1979....awakening the reality behind the fiction of the film and bringing home that as much as nuclear power is possibly the best way to generate energy, it also comes with a huge sting in its tail...a sting that, in the case of Chernobyl, can last generations after the event.

There was an experimental cruise ship back in the 70s I believe that had a nuclear reactor. It could make round trips around the world without stopping for a very long time where as a normal coal or oil ship would have to keep refueling and make a !it of pollution. The sad thing was that nobody really wanted a nuclear ship pulling up into their harbors, so it was banned from a lot of them... If they were allowed t be at a certain harbor, they had to make reservations to pull up into a harbor months in advance because the people that owned the harbors were afraid of a nuclear meltdown or explosion. This never happened to the ship but the ship just stop being used after a while because of that fear from harbors (not enough money). The thing is, the military has been using nuclear reactors safely for many and many of years with no effects on the people or no bad incidents... As soon as it was brought to the public everyone (except for the people that paid to ride on it) was very afraid of something happening. There is always a possibility but there is always the possibility of a faulty oil engine on a ship blowing up... The way they build those reactors now are highly secure and they always have alarm systems...
NS Savannah

There are several icebreakers that are nuclear powered that take tourists into the Arctic and Antarctic. They are Russian owned

The Yamal

Fifty Years of Victory

NMR stands for nuclear magnetic resonance. It's a technique used as an analytical tool in chemistry. The chemical is put into a strong magnetic field which affects the spin of the nucleus of the atom.
It can also be used to see inside the human body but the name had to be changed as the word nuclear frightens people. For use on humans it's called magnetic resonance imaging or MRI.

NS Savannah

There are several icebreakers that are nuclear powered that take tourists into the Arctic and Antarctic. They are Russian owned

The Yamal

Fifty Years of Victory

Yeah that was it, the Savannah. Thank you.

The reason why people get scared of things like this because they hear of things from news sources. If something bad happens it gets magnified by the news and movies... But then there are wayyy more success stories than we think. Like the Titanic... People built it bad to get more asthetics from it and then one if the worst sea disasters happen. There are a ton of shops that sink but also a ton that get across... Same thing with planes and cars

Most of the nuclear power plant accidents have been due to poor maint. Just how poor the maint has been on these plants is truely astounding given the critical nature of these facilities. The japan plant had backup system disabled because they no longer worked and pipes rusting through that had not been fixed in years. I forget what happened with 3 mile as I'm too lazy to look it up and i won't even talk about the Russian plants. I suppose any new nuclear plant no matter the level of improvement of design will suffer badly if private company decide it is more profitable to not maintain it over 30 or 40 year period it runs.
-
As to the Russian and Ukraine - i can only dread what Russian had intended for those nuclear plants; I have to conclude whatever they had planned they reconsidered since they with-drew from the plants.

Aquahuna is used by AquariumCo-op and gets mixed reviews

I just stumbled onto aquahuna.com. anyone has tried them? Flat rate usps priority and live guarantee for $12.99?
I've used them a few times. They are ok. The pro: fishes are generally cheap; healthy and shipping is cheap. The con: they don't sex cichlid (don't expect mixed sexes); a fair number of defects on fishes - these are generally not health issues but rather fishes that should be culled - they are an oem for many stores and i suspect some of the stock they sell to end user is what I would call 'b' stock. For schooling fishes i think they are great but i would not buy cichild from them again. Btw they have one of the most liberal policies for DOA on mail order places; and they will honor their DOA policy.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back