The Conversion Has Begun...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Hey people,

Just a quick question:

What is it I can buy to buffer up my ph, that I can put into my external filter?

Thanks in advance,

Maximus

P.s: Getting some bigger rocks from the garden centre some time soon, finally B)

i depends on what the ph of the water is that you add to the tank, i dont own african cichlids yet but having crushed coral and limestone will both buffer your ph :good:

Ok, thanks then :good:

Anyone (Ferris lol) have experience with these?

And what buffering "power" they have?

Thanks in advance,

Maximus

I wouldnt mess about wih your ph 7.6-7.8 will be fine unless you are going to get wild caught fish most tank bred fish will adapt to a broad rang of ph`s and your really isnt to bad so I wouldnt touch it.

Ok, thanks then.

But it carn't do any harm adding a bag of crushed coral to my filter can it?

Just seems a waste having the empty compartment in there.

Maximus

Ok then,

What media do you suggest?

At the moment theres just the standard media:

(top to bottom)

-floss pad
-activated carbon
-bio filter balls
-biological filter foam
-ceramic filter rings

So what will I need to be ripping out?

Thanks mark :good:

Maximus

I'd probably pull the carbon and add one section of more bio-media (either ceramic rings or bio-balls) and another section of foam. Can't have enough filtration with these guys.

And, I agree with Mark, your PH is fine. I'd only recommend adding coral if your KH is low, to add a buffering capacity.

For example, my PH out of the tap is 8.3, but my KH is around 3-4, so my PH has a tendency to drop. I added crushed coral to both filters and it raised my KH to around 12, which keeps my PH at 8.3. I just recently changed to aragonite sand, so we'll see what that does.

Ok, when I go to get this new media, I'll get the ph and kh tested :good:

I'll add some ceramic rings I think, but would it be possiable to mix this with some crushed coral?!

Just a random idea really.

Oh, and about adding another section of foam, how will I with only the one space left?

Just put it on top of the existing one?

Thanks for all the help :nod:

Maximus

Most reactions

Back