The Conversion Has Begun...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Maximus

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hey there guys, you've finally tempted me to this B)

I've already started the conversion in my 100 gallon,
By completely stripping out my decor and replaceing it with
rocks and pots.

I've also traded in half of my fish, for credit, for when I begin
to stock.

I've just a couple of questions, if you guys could help me here :)

1. I am conidering a large powerhead, to increase the flow between the rocks ect, will this do any good?
Or just be a waste of money?

2. I was thinking of mbuna, but I'm useless at remembering what I've got at my lfs. So, are there any
Things that are an absolute no-go? Mixing ratios/different sp. ect.

3. How often should I be feeding their different foods? I know they need to be fed 6 days a week, but how often
do I feed flakes/sticks/veg/frozen ect?

4. I know I have to go into my lfs, and write down what I like, and from there can you
guys say what goes and what doesn't?

Thanks in advance,

Maximus

P.s Ferris to the rescue?! :lol:

HaHa - another one comes over to the dark side. :lol:

1. Current is not essential and Mbuna IME don't seem too bothered either way. I don't use powerheads but 1 of my filters does have a strong output which is aimed at the rocks.

2. If you go with Mbuna - make sure you research fish for compatibility before purchasing. There are lots of good species combinations but also plenty of bad ones. Have a look and see what you fancy and post your suggestions here for some advice. Male/female ratios are important - multiple males of the same species is generally risky although in a 100 gal - you do have more options. 1M/3F is the standard advice given.

3. Once or twice a day and vary the diet. They will eat anything and as much as you give them so be careful not to overfeed. I feed mine once a day now using a mixture of spirinula-based flake, frozen spirinula-enriched brine shrimp and Hikari cichlid excel.

4. Yep - see point 2. :D

Also have a read of this pinned thread, it's exceptionally good. :good: :

http://www.fishforums.net/The-Mbuna-Aquarium-t27706.html

1. Current is not essential and Mbuna IME don't seem too bothered either way. I don't use powerheads but 1 of my filters does have a strong output which is aimed at the rocks.

2. If you go with Mbuna - make sure you research fish for compatibility before purchasing. There are lots of good species combinations but also plenty of bad ones. Have a look and see what you fancy and post your suggestions here for some advice. Male/female ratios are important - multiple males of the same species is generally risky although in a 100 gal - you do have more options. 1M/3F is the standard advice given.

3. Once or twice a day and vary the diet. They will eat anything and as much as you give them so be careful not to overfeed. I feed mine once a day now using a mixture of spirinula-based flake, frozen spirinula-enriched brine shrimp and Hikari cichlid excel.

4. Yep - see point 2. :D

Also have a read of this pinned thread, it's exceptionally good. :good: :

http://www.fishforums.net/The-Mbuna-Aquarium-t27706.html

Thanks Ferris, you can tick my name off the conversion list now :shifty:

Theres 3000 lph of filtration on my tank, will this be enough? Bearing in mind that it was used for 4 bichirs and other preds lol

I work at my lfs, so continully switching (what turns out to be) too many males with females isn't a problem, because I've read on how
Hard it is to tell different sexes apart when young.

I guess I'll have to wait to see what mbuna I get to see what foods I will need right? Or are they all on the same diet?
What food will I be needing then? Quality flake + pellets/Sticks, brine shrimp (frozen?), any veg?

My tank is decorated with lots of different sized pots, and fist-sized rocks, BUT I know this isn't adequate enough for
The aggression issues. So is there any other types of decor I can use that doesn't cost a fortune, and fits in with what
I've already got?

That PIN is what made me decide to do this lol

Thanks alot dude, the help is definately needed here :blush:

I'll try and post a picture of the new layout soon :good:

Maximus

EDIT: for poor spelling lol

Here we go, soory for the poor quality/skills :p

DSC02139.jpg

DSC02141.jpg

Thanks again,

Maximus

I would reccommend building some rock-work up the back of the tank - it's a little open at the moment and lacking in hiding places. Remember Mbuna live in and around the rocks of lake Malawi so stacked up ocean rock or large cobbles with planty of cracks and crevices creates a pretty natural environment for them.

I personally don't like the plant pots but they will work as caves - that's just me. :lol:

It's a great looking tank though and should look really good when full of Mbuna. :good:

As far as food goes - i can reccommend Hikari and if you can get frozen spirinula-enriched brine shrimp rather than normal - that's ideal. Basically a good spirinula based flake/pellet as the staple diet interchanged with the occasional bit of brine shrimp etc for variety.

EDIT: Have a look here: http://www.fishforums.net/Members-African-...ks-t169788.html
for examples of member's tanks.

Don't forget to add to that thread yourself when you're up and running. :D

Mwhaaahaaa We caught another one. :devil: :hey:

You'll know you are truely converted when everytime you see a pile of rocks you think, hmmm those would look great in my tank. lol

If you weren't already aware, gardening centers and landscaping suppliers are great places for picking up cheap rocks. You can use anything that doesn't contain metals, limestone is especially desirable as it helps buffer your water.

You guys really are E-V-I-L :devil:

:lol:

Right, went to work and picked up a few goodies :D

First off, food! I got myself NUTRAFIN MAX Spirulina cichlid sticks, TETRA PRO Veg flake ("crisps") with added spirulnia
And some forzen mawali veg mix. Will this, along with some frozen artimia I already have be ok?

Secondly; a new external B) Just because I can :p Its a tetratec EX 700 (really dont have a clue if its any good tbh).
Just thought it would add some flow to the tank. I was looking at powerheads but for a little more I may aswell have got this lol

And I did a really bad thing.....

I Got myself some fish :X

I was taking my 4 dels and STF to be traded, and I could of got more for a straight swap.

Soooooooo,

I'll post some pics in a little bit, along with (some) names lol

I was told they would go fine (as you always are lol) but so far, no agression what so ever.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself :blush:

Oh and thanks for all the help people :good: I really need it,

Maximus

Cue the crappy pics...

This fella was alot darker in the display tank, but has turned a nice light blurple since

DSC02142.jpg

These we in the same bag. Theres 2 red somethings lmao, and a yellow one with the exact same body shape, if that
helps at all... :unsure: Oh and the yellow fella only had one eye (completely healed) but I thought that
gave him character lol

DSC02143.jpg

I go two of these fellas, and they havent stopped following each other round :huh:

DSC02145.jpg

This fella was in the same tank as above^. But dont let the long head confuse you, he was yawning lol

DSC02158.jpg

And there is also 2 more "powder blues", There very common, I'll take a look in the index for them now.

All in all 9 to start with.

Sorry again for the shoddy pictures and poor mix of fish... :unsure:

thanks again,

Maximus

The two blue ones are alot like Pseudotropheus socolofi but,
Neither have the black stripe along the dorsal fin, and only one shows
Faint black stripes.

Maximus

Thanks for showing us!Tbh I don't like the flower pots either :blush: .I think it would look good with just stacked up rocks/slates :good:

Haha, I kinda like the pots IMO, but I'm sure it wont be long before
I change over to rock/slate ect :good:

Maximus

allright.the first i belive its a Cynotilapia cobue from the looks of it.
next there is red peacocks and sunshine peacocks.u arent supposed to mix these but its all on ur fish to decide if it will work
after that it looks like bumble bee cichlids but i cant tell 100% because i cant really see their sides.
and the last looks like a female zebra obliquedon from lake victoria.again u arent supposed to mix them but i have a male and female with mine and they are fine.im not too sure though with the size of the eye and the blue head,could be a hybrid.

so pretty much its all up too your fish to decide if they will be a no go or not.and also to answer your powerhead question,in my point of view,i want more current to move everything from the insided of the rock piles but thats me.it also helps clean the sand and keep it nice and white.

Its not a good idea to mix haps/peacock with mbuna they have different diatry requirements. I do have to laugh sorry but even lfs workers tell there staff duff information :lol: :lol: :lol:

edit: have a look at the members tanks at the top of this thread for the type of tank layout you need to achieve.

:lol:

I kinda thought that these guys shouldn't of gone together :blush:

Well I have to go back to the lfs to soft out this blimmin' external :<

The impeller is brocken before I even set the thing up!

Anyways, can you please tell me what to take back, and I'll do so 8)

Thanks again,

Maximus

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back