Thanks, - But No Thanks....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

it's an animal, would you complain if a lion took out a buffalo for a meal, nope.

It's nature, Otter, simple as.

my cat simon treats my like a brother. he would do anything to make me happy. on a few occasions he brings blue jays in the house. my mom was not happy.

Billie, my parent cat was always a particularly good hunter. Not the brightest cat in the worl, got hit by cars 3 times and the last time meant she had to have her tail amputated leaving her with an inch long stump LOL.

However, this NEVER affected her balance like we thought it would (though she did fall off fences a few times at first lol).

My parents had a swimming pool in the garden and it had steps leading down into the lower part of the garden and every evening without fail,the bats would come out swooping low over the pool to catch the insects and Billie would crouch at the bottom of the steps and as the bats flew over, she would leap up and grab the bat out of the air. Barely seems possible but we watched her do it once... We did start keeping her inside in the evenings and had to get her a collar and attatch 6 bells to it, she liked to roll it in mud and stop the bells working. We must have had 20 odd bats off her over the years, some survived and i let them go.

Thats just impressive for catching something right out the air, in terms of the ridiculous and one that really upset me and made me question keeping cats (for a few minutes anyway...) was when i was 12, we woke up on easter sunday and me and my brothers rushed to the kitchen, rules are rules, make parents a cup of tea before getting easter eggs LOL.

To out horror... we found a great big massive pigeon sitting in the kitchen looking a bit worse for wear with feathers sticking in every direction... kind of like it had been dragged backwards through a small catflap!! But what was more horrifying was the actual bird nest the cat had managed to 'catch'. She didnt just bring us the egg and chicks that were in it, she brought in the whole nest!!

And there was Billie, lying stretched out like a sphynx on the mat by the door leeping her eye on the pigeon.

Talk about it being one heck of an easter present from the cat! Bird (alive), nest, 1 egg and 2 chicks. Nice....

oh yeah... the pigeon was fine and pleased to be let out!!

Bugsy caught a pidgeon on our balcony and brought it in.

Alessa x.

i've found birds, frogs, butterflies (tigger only hurts flies), adult rabbits, chipmunks, squirels, toads, mutant rats.

Okay, everyone... cool down! I'm sure Otter was partially joking....

I don't think his humor reaches that long, did you not see his post demanding that cats be kept inside and never let out as they are a plague on society..........all because his uncle didn't close a window/door and a cat got in and killed his pet bird..........blamed the cat, not the owners lack of safety.

Just saying, that's all

lol ive never been brave enough to share my views on outdoor cats :lol:

I suppose there ok though in an "i love animals" kinda way

scot :)

lol ive never been brave enough to share my views on outdoor cats :lol:

I suppose there ok though in an "i love animals" kinda way

scot :)

I'll say it, I think cats should be kept inside or contained in some way. Leash them, It can be done I've seen it with my own two eyes more than once! lol Or put a kennel up with a top on it. There are too many feral cats in the US running around and making more.

The cats in my neighborhood drive my dogs nuts and then I have to deal with animal control because my dogs are barking like crazy because the same neighbors who turns their cats out get mad at the barking and call animal control. So, in essense if they'd keep their cats in thier own yard....well you get the idea! lol

Feral cats and dogs are a huge problem in the US. Poor things.

I think cat's should be kept in but i also agree they should have freedom to roam outside. We have a balcony so our cat's are indoor cat's. If a cat is microchipped, vaccinated and spayed/neutered, they would be OK outside. If this is all done then they can't come back pregnant, they have less chance of catching disease and they can be located back to you if they get lost and found. Then again i'm in the UK so i don't know what it's like in the US or anywhere else. Does anyone in the UK agree with me on these points?

Alessa x.

I agree that control measures should be out into place. However I don't think they should be kept indoors, i'm not a fan of birds tweating in the morning or kids playing in the street while I'm trying to sleep after a 12 hour nightshift. Just because something irritates you does not mean that it should be locked away! If that was the case the world wouldn't move! There's always something that bugs someone else be it dogs cats kids or an Oscar in a 20 gallon.
If people were educated correctly then half the problems would not be there in the first place!

I agree that control measures should be out into place. However I don't think they should be kept indoors, i'm not a fan of birds tweating in the morning or kids playing in the street while I'm trying to sleep after a 12 hour nightshift. Just because something irritates you does not mean that it should be locked away! If that was the case the world wouldn't move! There's always something that bugs someone else be it dogs, cats, kids or an Oscar in a 20 gallon.
If people were educated correctly then half the problems would not be there in the first place!

If your on about my cats being indoor cats, then that's not our fault. They do go on the balcony but we nearly stopped them doing that after our last cat fell off the balcony and bruised his internal organs. Other than that we have had them all micro-chipped, spayed/neutered and vaccinated just incase they slip out.

Alessa x.

Not necessarily kept indoors. But they should be contained. For the safety of the animal if nothing else. My dogs must be contained at all times. Why should cats get to roam free? They shouldn't. They get run over, attacked by dogs, kids throw things at them, etc.

My point was just that it's the same neighbor who turns their cat loose (the same cat, my dogs while contained in my own yard, bark at because it comes into my yard and teases them outside thier kennel) calls animal control because my dogs bark at their cat.

Now, if my dog is loose in my yard with me and their cat comes into my yard and my dogs get it, who do you think is going to get in trouble? My dogs. Why? Because they killed the poor innocent cat (and they would) who should not have been in my yard because its owner should have kept it contained. My dogs would then be labeled as vicious animals and possibly confiscated and put down. How is that right?

All animals if their owners care about them should be contained and kept safe. It's our responsibility as pet owners. That is all there is too it.

I'm not a cat hater. I've had cats. I like cats. I just feel they should be contained the same as I contained mine when I had them. The same as I must keep my dogs contained at all times.

Now how did this happen???.... You are a sly bunch sneaking in an "off" topic discussion here..... :lol:

Allthough very interesting, we have learnt from past experience that this one allways leads to heated debates, which inevitably compells the closing of the topic..... (I'm under correction here, but I think I've personally closed 2 or 3 of the "Indoor or outdoor cat" discussions.

We all have very diverse ideas about the issue, and IMO..... they are all the right convictions, depending on your circumstances.... My conditions where I'm living now allows me to have my cats free roaming during the day, allthough they sleep indoors - by (their own choice), but where I lived previously.... they were let out during the day for an hour or 2 - only under strict supervision and herding and then brought back in immediately afterwards.

So ppl!!... let's get this one back to what the title says.... Does your cat bring you any offerings at times..... ???

Like i say bugsy brought us a pidgeon. It was alive and healthy though so once we got it off her we let it go.

Alessa x.

Most reactions

Back