The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Before you get anything you really need to know what the general hardness (GH) of your water is.

If you get soft water fishes and put them in hard water they won't do that well, and if you get hard water fishes (like African Rift Lake cichlids) and put them in soft water they won't do that well.

Contact your water supply company or visit their website and find out how hard the water is. If you can't find the information take a glass full of tank water to the pet shop and ask them to check the GH.

That doesn't sound bad. I may think of this.

This is not advisable. Linear small fish like neon/cardinal tetras should not be combined with angelfish. There are more suitable tetras among the disk-shaped species that I could suggest, but the water parameters (GH as Colin noted) need to be known before we can get into all that. The other issue here is the two angelfish; unless they are a bonded male/female, never put two, three or four angelfish together. I can explain if asked.

This is not advisable. Linear small fish like neon/cardinal tetras should not be combined with angelfish. There are more suitable tetras among the disk-shaped species that I could suggest, but the water parameters (GH as Colin noted) need to be known before we can get into all that. The other issue here is the two angelfish; unless they are a bonded male/female, never put two, three or four angelfish together. I can explain if asked.
Cardinal tetras are bigger than neons. Neons need cooler water while cardinals need warmer like angels. I didn't mean to get two adults. Add two junvilenes and let them grow up together. I had an adult male, putting a female with him made him territorial, so even having a pair and a lone angel isn't a good idea at all.

If you want a pr of angelfish, then get 8-10 young angels and grow them up together. When a pr separates from the main group move them into their own tank and let the others pr off naturally. Keep the pr you want and get rid of the rest. :)

Cardinal tetras are bigger than neons. Neons need cooler water while cardinals need warmer like angels. I didn't mean to get two adults. Add two junvilenes and let them grow up together. I had an adult male, putting a female with him made him territorial, so even having a pair and a lone angel isn't a good idea at all.

Just in case I am not understanding correctly, I will explain a bit more for the OP.

Angelfish are a shoaling species; they live in smallish (compared to characins and corydoras for example) groups and develop an hierarchy in the aquarium; in nature they have sufficient space to get out of each others' way, but not in an aquarium so this hierarchy is very important. The group should be no fewer than five. This means at minimum a 4-foot (120 cm) length tank.

The above applies to any angelfish, because the fish will begin to grow and develop their behaviours from the size usually seen in stores (unless you get them as fry). If a pair forms and shows they are bonding, they can be housed together, usually, or at least for some time. Individuals may change along the way, but this generally works. Bonding can only be discerned if the entire group is carefully observed, as male/female behaviour and acceptance will or should be observable. [EDIT: As I was typing, Colin posted #19 and has described another method for pairing.]

Acquiring any two juveniles and letting them grow up is not fair to the fish; they may be both female and tolerate each other (or sometimes not), or they may be male/female and bond or not,...or if two males one will inevitably be dead before long as they mature and develop. The inherent behaviour traits are programmed into the species' DNA, and any assumed deviation from normal behaviour must be seen as the exception, and often due to inadequate conditions. All aspects of their environment impact a fish's inherent behaviours, whether positive or negative. So I always recommend assuming the norm for a species and providing accordingly. Anything less is not fair to the fish.

Just in case I am not understanding correctly, I will explain a bit more for the OP.

Angelfish are a shoaling species; they live in smallish (compared to characins and corydoras for example) groups and develop an hierarchy in the aquarium; in nature they have sufficient space to get out of each others' way, but not in an aquarium so this hierarchy is very important. The group should be no fewer than five. This means at minimum a 4-foot (120 cm) length tank.

The above applies to any angelfish, because the fish will begin to grow and develop their behaviours from the size usually seen in stores (unless you get them as fry). If a pair forms and shows they are bonding, they can be housed together, usually, or at least for some time. Individuals may change along the way, but this generally works. Bonding can only be discerned if the entire group is carefully observed, as male/female behaviour and acceptance will or should be observable. [EDIT: As I was typing, Colin posted #19 and has described another method for pairing.]

Acquiring any two juveniles and letting them grow up is not fair to the fish; they may be both female and tolerate each other (or sometimes not), or they may be male/female and bond or not,...or if two males one will inevitably be dead before long as they mature and develop. The inherent behaviour traits are programmed into the species' DNA, and any assumed deviation from normal behaviour must be seen as the exception, and often due to inadequate conditions. All aspects of their environment impact a fish's inherent behaviours, whether positive or negative. So I always recommend assuming the norm for a species and providing accordingly. Anything less is not fair to the fish.
What you said about two male angels isn't true. When you have two male angels they will either get along or not get along. But if you bring a female into the mix then they will start to fight.

What you said about two male angels isn't true. When you have two male angels they will either get along or not get along. But if you bring a female into the mix then they will start to fight.
That may well be true, but every time I tried I ended up with one angel. (Sooner or later)

That may well be true, but every time I tried I ended up with one angel. (Sooner or later)
I had four Males that were perfectly fine together until I added a female. That's when the fighting started.

Male angelfish are territorial. That is scientific fact. One or more will attempt to dominate and succeed. In the closed confines of an aquarium that is not sufficient size to influence the fish, this means one of two things. Either the dominant will harass the others to death (sooner or later directly) or the subordinates will be so stressed they will become withdrawn which means highly stressed, weakened, and more prone to other issues like disease. They will die before their normal life expectancy is reached in most cases.

I repeat again, this is programmed into the fish's DNA. It cannot be changed, only "affected" by situations that are not normal to the fish.

The presence of a female is not needed for the above. Having said that, the presence of a female may trigger it sooner rather than later, for reasons that should be obvious to all of us.

Ok,
I will get 1 Angelfish, 6 Albino Cory, (Some species of Tetra), Some Molly or platy, and a bristle nose pleco.
Some say no cardinal, some say yes cardinal. Which is right? Also which is better Molly or platy?

The Ph is around 7.5-8.5. 55 gallon Planted tank with sand substrate, river rocks, and Manzanita wood.

Ok,
I will get 1 Angelfish, 6 Albino Cory, (Some species of Tetra), Some Molly or platy, and a bristle nose pleco.
Some say no cardinal, some say yes cardinal. Which is right? Also which is better Molly or platy?

The Ph is around 7.5-8.5. 55 gallon Planted tank with sand substrate, river rocks, and Manzanita wood.
If you're looking for something active than I would suggest platies, but for something pretty (but still decently active) then get mollies.

Ok,

This may not work. We do not yet have the GH for your tap water. You cannot select fish unless you know this; this list alone has soft water and hard water species and they will not mix.

I will tell you that I've kept my cardinals with angels from a dime size to full grown with no issues. What is your GH hardness? As for pH angles like the lower range of pH. 6.8 is a good point.

You can naturally lower the pH by adding almond leaves, driftwood, or coral. Angels like acidic, but not too acidic if you are going to add other fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back