Starting a Reef Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Okay. I see all these youtubers start their first marine tank but then they fail. Plus, they have a lot of experience in the freshwater side of things. Should I be worried?

It feels extra killing a fish just to cycle a tank.
You don't kill a fish and put it in the tank to cycle it. You buy a pack of frozen bait from a fishing store or a frozen prawn from a seafood section of the supermarket and use that. You can buy liquid ammonia too.

--------------------
Most issues with marine tanks are from adding fish to a tank that hasn't cycled, and feeding it several times a day. This produces huge amounts of ammonia, which is extremely toxic in water with a pH above 7.0. Sea water has a pH of 8.5 so any ammonia is lethal in that pH.

Okay. I see all these youtubers start their first marine tank but then they fail. Plus, they have a lot of experience in the freshwater side of things. Should I be worried?
My 29g tank is my very first saltwater tank, I haven't failed. I didn't know a thing about saltwater, until I did all of my research. As @Colin_T said, it is usually because they don't properly cycle it.

Most people also rush their first saltwater tanks, which can lead to the death of the livestock.

Planning to get it when I get everything else.
The API saltwater test is much cheaper, but I suggest getting the Red Sea Saltwater test kit. It is a lot more accurate than the API.

Make sure this is what I am supposed to do.
Step 1: Research, Research, Research
Step 2: Get a tank
Step 3: Use 1" of live sand
Step 4: Use live or dry rock
Step 5: Get RO/DI water and mix with reef salt until salinity is 1.025
Step 6: Fill the tank
Step 7: Put beneficial bacteria in the tank then put a source of ammonia
Step 8: Let tank cycle for a how ever long
Step 9: Enjoy

Make sure this is what I am supposed to do.
Step 1: Research, Research, Research
Step 2: Get a tank
Step 3: Use 1" of live sand
Step 4: Use live or dry rock
Step 5: Get RO/DI water and mix with reef salt until salinity is 1.025
Step 6: Fill the tank
Step 7: Put beneficial bacteria in the tank then put a source of ammonia
Step 8: Let tank cycle for a how ever long
Step 9: Enjoy
Looks good. Maybe make a list of everything you need?

Also what should be the parameters when the tank is cycled?
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: <5ppm
ph: 8.5

You don't need live sand. Any calcium based substrate will do, be it beach sand, aragonite, crushed coral, shells or even aquarium gravel, although it isn't calcium based.

Most live sand is usually dead when you buy it. It's a bit like live rock vs dry limestone. It becomes live after a few months in water.

List of everything needed:
A mind
General Knowledge of saltwater
Patience
Time
Tank
Salt
RO/DI Water or Distilled Water
Pump
Bio Media
Sponge
Wavemaker