Starting a Reef Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

You don't need any special filter for marine tanks. Just a normal power filter is fine. I ran half my marine tanks with air operated sponge filters.

Your tap water looks fine and is similar to what I had in Perth. If you can find a copy of the water company's report showing exactly what is in the tap water, it will provide more information, but what you have so far is fine.

--------------------
HOW TO SET UP A MARINE TANK.
Get any aquarium and rinse it out. Put it on a stable stand with a bit of polystyrene foam under the base of the tank.

Put some beach sand or calcium based substrate in the tank. You only need an inch or so of substrate. Rinse the substrate with tap water before putting it in the tank.

Get some limestone rocks from the beach or pet shop and put them in the tank. if they are from the pet shop, rinse them under tap water before putting them in the tank.

Fill the tank about 3/4 full with natural sea water from the beach. If you can't get to the beach, buy some artificial marine salts from a pet shop or online (eBay, etc). Make up the marine salt and dechlorinate it, then allow it to aerate/ mix for 24 hours.

Get a hydrometer (plastic chamber type is fine) and measure the salinity of the salt water. It takes around 24 hours for the salt to completely dissolve.

Put a filter in/ on the tank and get it running.

Add some liquid filter bacteria supplement and cycle the tank in the same way you do to a freshwater tank.

After the tank has cycled, add some fish. Start with 1 or 2 small fish and let them live in the tank for a month or so and make sure the filter is happy and fully cycled. Then add other things.

Do partial water changes every 2-4 weeks using natural sea water or artificial marine salts and tap water. Make sure you mix the new artificial salts up in water for 24 hours before using them in the tank with fish.

Feed the fish once every couple of days for the first few weeks and monitor the water quality.

Have a coverglass on the tank to stop the fish jumping out and to reduce evaporation. If you need to top up the tank with fresh water, just use some dechlorinated tap water.

If I was to start a reef tank..

I would start by understanding corals and what is feasible for a beginner in a nano tank. And can I afford them if I have a tight budget. I personally like the Youtube videos from Bulk Reef Supply such as:

I would use dry live rock. Basically this is coral skeletons dug up from ancient coral reefs ie: it does not come directly from the ocean. For my first tank, I would not want any unwanted critters from the ocean. This rock would be sterile and may take a few months to cure ie: become live rock.

I would use a skimmer even if it was a hang on back model. Skimmer remove protein from the tank before the nitrogen cycle starts ie: ammonia->nitrite-> nitrate. I believe Fuval has a skimmer which fit this tank.

I would start with a coral only tank, no fish.

If you haven't kept marine fish before, then go with fish first and see how they do. If you want to risk it, then try a coral only tank and see how you do. Corals don't normally need feeding and their water can stay nice and clean without fish in the tank. However, most people want movement and usually add fish, then the problems start.

I just found out we have an RO/DI system under the sink. Will that one work?
If you have a R/O unit under your sink, that is fine and will do the job.

Anemonefish are easy to breed. Get 2 fish that are different sizes, the big one will be females, small one male. Feed them and look after them. When they mature they breed. The female lays several hundred eggs on a rock at the base of their sea anemone or coral, or wherever they hang out. The male guards the eggs and both fish fan them.

About 7-10 days after being laid, the eggs hatch just after the lights go out and the fry swim off to get sucked into the filter and die.

If you can scoop the fry out and put them in a shallow container, they can be fed on rotifers and green water for a few weeks and then go onto newly hatched brineshrimp. Within 3-4 months they should be an inch long and you can sell them.

The following link has information on culturing food for baby fish. You can use the information for fresh or salt water fish fry and use sea water instead of freshwater to culture green water, rotifers and infusoria.
(243) Back to Basics when Breeding Fish | Tropical Fish Forums

Update... The RO/DI system is connected to the drinking water fountain. I think we can disconnect it so I can use it to make salt water. Right?

Update... The RO/DI system is connected to the drinking water fountain. I think we can disconnect it so I can use it to make salt water. Right?
Possibly... will you please upload a photo of the current setup?

Also, are your parents ok with giving up their RO/DI system?

Just take the R/O water from the fountain. Fill up a bucket and add some artificial marine salts to the bucket of water and aerate it to make up the salt water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back