Starting a Reef Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nope. I lost all my pictures and everything else when I ended up on the street. And my first reef tank was back last century before cameras were invented.

Oh my god. I hope you have gotten everything you need back. Was your first tank successful?
no I lost everything and nothing has been replaced.

my first marine tank was fish only and didn't do well because I didn't know about the filter cycle and nobody else did back then. Eventually when I worked out the filter cycle, the tanks started doing well. After a few fish only tanks, I set up an anemone tank and that did really well after I removed one of the trouble makers (fire clown fish). Then I did a coral and fish tank and that did well for a few years before I took it down when I moved house. I didn't set it up again for about 10 years after that and then I had a number of coral and anemone tanks.

Dry limestone is fine for a marine tank and turns into live rock after a few months in the water.

1.025 is fine for salinity.

Cycling a tank is where beneficial bacteria develop in a filter. It usually takes around 4-6 weeks but can take a bit longer. With marine tanks you should cycle the tank before adding fish or other life forms because any ammonia is extremely toxic in the sea water, which has a pH of 8.5.

To cycle a tank you add some liquid bacteria or a small amount of fish food, dead fish or dead prawn. You get the ammonia level to about 3ppm and keep it there until the level drops (usually around 2-3 weeks). Then you wait for the nitrite level to go up and come down (takes another 2-3 weeks). After the ammonia and nitrite have both gone up and come back down to 0ppm, the nitrate levels start to go up and the filter/ tank is considered cycled.

I used Instant Ocean Bio-Spira and I cycled my tank in 4 days.

Dry limestone is fine for a marine tank and turns into live rock after a few months in the water.

1.025 is fine for salinity.

Cycling a tank is where beneficial bacteria develop in a filter. It usually takes around 4-6 weeks but can take a bit longer. With marine tanks you should cycle the tank before adding fish or other life forms because any ammonia is extremely toxic in the sea water, which has a pH of 8.5.

To cycle a tank you add some liquid bacteria or a small amount of fish food, dead fish or dead prawn. You get the ammonia level to about 3ppm and keep it there until the level drops (usually around 2-3 weeks). Then you wait for the nitrite level to go up and come down (takes another 2-3 weeks). After the ammonia and nitrite have both gone up and come back down to 0ppm, the nitrate levels start to go up and the filter/ tank is considered cycled.
It feels extra killing a fish just to cycle a tank.

It feels extra killing a fish just to cycle a tank.
Never buy a “starter fish” to cycle your tank, that’s just cruel and inhumane.

How about Fritz Turbo Start?
Never heard of it, sorry.

Bio-Spira worked very well for me and it has thousands of t star reviews. Just something to keep in mind.

Can you use rain water instead of RO/DI?
I don’t suggest it. Issue with using rain water, is it actually has to rain, so you can collect it. It may not rain for weeks, and if you need to do a water change, you’re out of luck.

Is instant ocean Bio Spira like a beneficial bacteria in liquid. Does the bacteria colonize in bio media.
Yes, it is bottled bacteria. (Nitrifying bacteria)

Once you pour it in your tank, it will establish a colony of bacteria on your filter media/live rocks. (Live rocks usually already have a small colony of bacteria, which should speed up your cycle)

Most reactions

trending

Back