Starting a Reef Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Neil Mani

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello. I was thinking of getting a fluval sea evo 13.5 gallon tank. I just wanted to know, what else I will need to make a perfect habitat for my future fish. Keep in mind this is my very first saltwater reef tank. Also is there a way I can avoid using an RODI filtration System? I have $250 avaliable to use along with some help from my parents. If it would stay in the budget of $250, that would be amazing. I just need a list of what I need. The fluval comes with a light helpful to some corals, a lid, a filtration system, and an air pump. Thanks.

Also is there a way I can avoid using an RODI filtration System?
If you wish to get live corals in the future, then no, there’s no way to avoid it.

The RO/DI system will remove any dissolved solids in your water, making it coral safe. (Please note that corals are very sensitive to metals and other contaminants in the water. Saltwater fish are also a lot more susceptible to these contaminates than freshwater fish are)

—-

Keep us updated! Sounds like a fun project. :fish:

Like stated if you want a reef tank you will want an rodi filter. You will also need
Refractometer.
Salt
Powerhead to mix salt
Saltwater test kit.
(Or use the api freshwater kit with the saltwater kit color card, as the solutions are the same).
Aquatic Life has a rodi filter for $60.

Well, I do not want to argue with you guys because you are right. Yet, I see people just dechlorinate(liquid conditioner) tap water and they just use that. Then is coral recommended? Also, does soft coral need RO/DI water?

Also, I need you guys to say something to convince my dad to allow me to get the tank! He said it is a really hard thing to do and that I will kill everything! No matter what I do, he is always denying it. Part of me feels like he does not realize that new tech has been invented to make the aquarium hobby easier. LOL

You can use dechlorinated tap water if your tap water is clean. Basically if your tap water is free of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate and other chemicals, then it is fine to use. However, if you have nitrates, phosphates or anything else that is bad in your water supply, then it's a good idea to use reverse osmosis (R/O) water because it will be free of these substances. You can also filter the tap water through various substances like carbon and a de-nitrating/ phosphate removing media to help remove these things.

You don't need to buy a special marine tank to make a coral tank. You can use any aquarium, filter heater and light. Just make sure the light has a 6500K (K is for Kelvin) rating. If you already have a spare tank, just use that.

Also, I need you guys to say something to convince my dad to allow me to get the tank! He said it is a really hard thing to do and that I will kill everything! No matter what I do, he is always denying it. Part of me feels like he does not realize that new tech has been invented to make the aquarium hobby easier. LOL
It’s really not as hard as I thought it would be!

I have kept freshwater fish/tanks for over 6 years - saltwater was a huge step up for me. I thought it would be super hard to get the tank started and such, but it’s been much easier than I expected. It’s not “easy” per say, but it’s much easier than most people make it out to be.

Just make sure to do your research and don’t rush. :)

You can use dechlorinated tap water if your tap water is clean. Basically if your tap water is free of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate and other chemicals, then it is fine to use. However, if you have nitrates, phosphates or anything else that is bad in your water supply, then it's a good idea to use reverse osmosis (R/O) water because it will be free of these substances. You can also filter the tap water through various substances like carbon and a de-nitrating/ phosphate removing media to help remove these things.

You don't need to buy a special marine tank to make a coral tank. You can use any aquarium, filter heater and light. Just make sure the light has a 6500K (K is for Kelvin) rating. If you already have a spare tank, just use that.
I would use a normal empty tank but it is hard to find a good filter for saltwater. That is why I decided to get the fluval sea evo. Now that I know what I need for the tank, can you guys help me with what I am supposed to. I have a general knowledge of what I am supposed to do. I just want to clear it on what I am supposed to do.

And also, is it ok to jump from fresh to salt when I started freshwater in the beginning of the year?
It’s not impossible, but it may be tricky.

Have you had any issues with diseases in your freshwater tanks? Or big fish die off? Have you been able to keep your parameters steady?

If you have been able to stay on top of tank maintenance, parameters, healthy fish, etc. then you should have no issue with a saltwater tank.

Well... The only problem I have ever had was getting ick on my cardinal tetras. But, that was my only outbreak of any form of diseases. It did also spread through to my pygmy corys but that was as far as I got. I have kept killifish, gudgeons, apistos, loaches, and shrimp. With out them dying. I had rasboras when I made a big mistake and put them in a tub so I can get a good cleaning on the tank when they jumped out! :(... But, I am able to get wat parameter under control with out many viruses coming in the way.

Also, this is my tap. Is the parameters good with out RO/DI?
There’s really no way to know, without looking at your water report. (If there are high levels of copper, aluminum, lead, etc.)

If there are high levels of those mentioned above, you definitely need the RO/DI system.

—-

I would get it regardless of your tap quality. It will save you lots of hassle down the road.

There’s really no way to know, without looking at your water report. (If there are high levels of copper, aluminum, lead, etc.)

If there are high levels of those mentioned above, you definitely need the RO/DI system.

—-

I would get it regardless of your tap quality. It will save you lots of hassle down the road.
Agreed

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back