The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

HoldenOn

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hey all,
I don't know if this is good or bad news. My friends tank was leaking, but he had a backup 20 long. This was a 29 gallon tank. He needed me to take care of 4 of his Peppered Corydoras. As you know my tank is relatively new and the plants have just started growing. I acclimated them for 2 hours and put them in. We have similar temperatures and pH. Is it going to be ok? They all seem a little stressed so I'm leaving the lights off and I'm gonna hold off on feeding them. How often should I change water? Any input is greatly appreciated.

peppered could do with temp below 24C
If you have a test kit just keep an eye out for any ammonia and perform a good 70% water change if you measure any
If you don't have a test kit, I'd be doing 20-30% daily water changes

peppered could do with temp below 24C
If you have a test kit just keep an eye out for any ammonia and perform a good 70% water change if you measure any
If you don't have a test kit, I'd be doing 20-30% daily water changes
That's about 3 degrees colder then where I am. I'll test for ammonia tomorrow and then go from there. How often should I be testing? Cranking the A.C. as we speak. Should I fast them for a little longer or feed them? I went to my LFS and got shrimp pellets and algae wafers because I read its good to provide a varied diet.

That's about 3 degrees colder then where I am. I'll test for ammonia tomorrow and then go from there. How often should I be testing? Cranking the A.C. as we speak. Should I fast them for a little longer or feed them? I went to my LFS and got shrimp pellets and algae wafers because I read its good to provide a varied diet.
if its only temporary, don't worry about the temp too much - but just be mindful that these particular corys prefer it colder than most.
I'd test once a day about an hour after feeding - so the key is basically to keep ammonia and nitrite down to an absolute minimum.
Also, find out what times your mate had the lights on for and try and replicate that for them so their circadian rhythm isn't thrown off.
I'd give them a very small amount of food a couple of hours before you go to bed. so test the water after an hour and decide whether you need to do a water change before you go to bed (gives you an hour (plenty of time ) to do this.
Sounds like you're on the ball though, and the food selection is spot on

They seem to be doing alright. Three of them are schooling and 1 other is just swimming on its own.

sorry, is your tank cycled? I presumed it wasn't

if its only temporary, don't worry about the temp too much - but just be mindful that these particular corys prefer it colder than most.
I'd test once a day about an hour after feeding - so the key is basically to keep ammonia and nitrite down to an absolute minimum.
Also, find out what times your mate had the lights on for and try and replicate that for them so their circadian rhythm isn't thrown off.
I'd give them a very small amount of food a couple of hours before you go to bed. so test the water after an hour and decide whether you need to do a water change before you go to bed (gives you an hour (plenty of time ) to do this.
Sounds like you're on the ball though, and the food selection is spot on
I'm not sure how temporary it is, though my water temp has gone done a smidge. Its kind of late now and he fed them this morning before giving them to me. Will I be able to wait till tomorrow? I could probably power through and just do it now if need be.
Edit: if i take the lid off will it cool off more?

ah ok. I think it'd be worth doing a water test if you haven't already done one. don't worry about feeding them yet.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back