🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Cool, all good. Yeh 8 corys will be fine and 8 neons.. maybe more of each, i like odd numbers, so 11 of each :)
Tests are done. 0 ppm ammonia, and less then .5 ppm nitrite but more then .25. So like 0.3 nitrite.

Tests are done. 0 ppm ammonia, and less then .5 ppm nitrite but more then .25. So like 0.3 nitrite.
Ok, keep up with water changes any time you measure any nitrite. Its harmful to your corys and will cause them stress (no matter how active they appear to be). Stressed fish succumb to other diseases such as Ich.
Change as much water as possible, 50-60% is ideal.
Its a pain but worth it to cycle your tank and not have any ill fish :good:

Ok, keep up with water changes any time you measure any nitrite. Its harmful to your corys and will cause them stress (no matter how active they appear to be). Stressed fish succumb to other diseases such as Ich.
I'll do a water change in a little, I have school :/

How long do you think it will take for the second stage of bacteria to develop?
Edit: don't get me wrong I'm more than happy to put in the work, and to make these little guys as happy as possible. I'm just curious.

Last edited:
It says to feed them 3 times per day on the food cans, should I follow that or only do twice a day?

I'm kind of panicking. I'm doing water changes but can't get the nitrite under .25.

Twice a day is plenty whilst cycling. The more they eat, the more ammonia they excrete, so keep to a minimum for now. They won't starve don't worry
Thank you so much for your help. I ended up getting fish about a week sooner than I had initially anticipated. I'm really stressing about whether they will be ok. Whenever one stays still for more than 2 minutes I check is its dead lol. Thanks again.

Speaking of a fish staying still, is that a bad sign? 2 of them are just under the little caves I made with slate, should I turn the light off?
Edit: actually they all seem sort of inactive, they aren't playing they are all just under the rocks or chilling on the substrate. Is that normal behavior for corydoras? All their gills seem to be moving at a decent rate, not to fast not to slow.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your help. I ended up getting fish about a week sooner than I had initially anticipated. I'm really stressing about whether they will be ok. Whenever one stays still for more than 2 minutes I check is its dead lol. Thanks again.
Aww don't worry, 0 ammonia is a great sign, I can't see then dying on the spot! Corys are more nocturnal really so they'll often stay still in one place for a few minutes during the day

Aww don't worry, 0 ammonia is a great sign, I can't see then dying on the spot! Corys are more nocturnal really so they'll often stay still in one place for a few minutes during the day
Sounds good, they've been like that for an extended period of time though, about 30-45 minutes. They went from going up against the current and then turning around and "surfing" (thats what my dad called it) to just laying there. Should I turn their lights off for a little?

Sounds good, they've been like that for an extended period of time though, about 30-45 minutes. They went from going up against the current and then turning around and "surfing" (thats what my dad called it) to just laying there. Should I turn their lights off for a little?
Try and keep the lights to what they're used to (whatever your mate had them on for), but at the same time, that shouldn't be for longer 12 hours.
When theyre next due a feed I'm sure you'll see them spring to action.
You'll notice them far more active at when the lights are out

Try and keep the lights to what they're used to (whatever your mate had them on for), but at the same time, that shouldn't be for longer 12 hours.
When theyre next due a feed I'm sure you'll see them spring to action.
You'll notice them far more active at when the lights are out
Yea I'm following that now, he did 8-7 so thats what I'll do. I also read that high protein foods make fish poopoo more so I might go for shrimp pellets only once every day or two.

Most reactions

Back