Nah you're almost there I wouldn't bother. Filter media is the stuff (usually foam) that's inside your filter.
Oh I just did another test, 0 ppm ammonia and the same color nitrite (around .3). I want to hold off on doing a water change because it is the hottest part of the day, and thus I can't get any cool water. I'll probably have to wait till morning. :/ I know its not optimal but I don't want to pour 83 degree water into a tank that is already a little warm for my little guys.

Oh I just did another test, 0 ppm ammonia and the same color nitrite (around .3). I want to hold off on doing a water change because it is the hottest part of the day, and thus I can't get any cool water. I'll probably have to wait till morning. :/ I know its not optimal but I don't want to pour 83 degree water into a tank that is already a little warm for my little guys.
Do you have any Seachem Prime?

Just finished a 70% water change, testing the water now.

You can get other types of Corys to shoal with the ones you have for a bit of variety. @Byron will maybe advise you on this.
Woah! I thought they would tolerate each other, but wouldn't school together. Exciting, would love to get some emeralds and perhaps some pandas if they are compatible.

Woah! I thought they would tolerate each other, but wouldn't school together. Exciting, would love to get some emeralds and perhaps some pandas if they are compatible.

Technically no freshwater fish species, or very few, "school" in the sense of remaining in a pack and hunting together. Shoaling as I tend to use it refers to fish that must be in a group of their own species, no matter how they interact; they may swim together at times, or they may remain apart much of the time. The important factor is that there are several of them in the tank to provide for their sense of security by living in groups of dozens if not hundreds naturally.

All species in Corydoras are docile and peaceful and get along with each other. Variance in temperature is not that great, but Corydoras panda do prefer it cooler than some other species, but there is not a substantial difference. Cooler being 23-24 C rather than 25C.

When combining species, it is best to have a few of each species if possible. C. panda seems particularly sensitive to this, whereas other species don't seem to care much. My seven C. duplicareus do spend more time in groups of two, three, sometimes four, than other species.

The "emerald" may be C. splendens, initially in the genus Brochis and still seen there, and this is a slightly larger fish but much like any Corydoradinae in terms of behaviour and temperament.

Most reactions

Back