Setting up first dirted tank, so many questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

only other thing I could try and get is organic topsoil, again its peat free but these two seem most readily available.
topsoil 1
Contains soil conditioners
Screened to 10mm
Peat Free and safe
topsoil 2
Organic blend with naturally occurring nutrients
Peat-free formula
Ideal for beds, borders & levelling lawns

Are these any good?

All I can find near me is this Miracle gro all purpose. As essjay mentioned its almost impossible to find soil containing peat. The ingredients are Wood fibre, Bark fines, Coir and composted Green waste, does this seem ok?
Composted green waste can be any type of plant and this could include toxic plants. I would avoid anything containing composted green waste unless you know what it is comprised of.

Avoid anything with soil conditioners in. This could be seaweed extract right through to wetting agents, which are soap based and poisonous to aquatic organisms.

A lot of potting mixes have animal waste in them. It has normally been composted properly but not always, and can introduce diseases into aquariums if it isn't sterile.

Composted green waste can be any type of plant and this could include toxic plants. I would avoid anything containing composted green waste unless you know what it is comprised of.

Avoid anything with soil conditioners in. This could be seaweed extract right through to wetting agents, which are soap based and poisonous to aquatic organisms.

A lot of potting mixes have animal waste in them. It has normally been composted properly but not always, and can introduce diseases into aquariums if it isn't sterile.
Ok i will see if topsoil 2 is in stock, thanks for your help

I agree wif Colin.. add kaolinite clay( red clay) and cap it wif sand.
I used to grow plants for stores.. all plants grew great..if heavily planted.. I wud suggest Co2 injection..but ur choice.
A word of caution. Everytime u disurb the substrate, ur water will be cloudy for 2 or 3 days.. even wif filtration. The dissolved clay is to small to be filtered out.. must settle.
Good luck..

I agree wif Colin.. add kaolinite clay( red clay) and cap it wif sand.
I used to grow plants for stores.. all plants grew great..if heavily planted.. I wud suggest Co2 injection..but ur choice.
A word of caution. Everytime u disurb the substrate, ur water will be cloudy for 2 or 3 days.. even wif filtration. The dissolved clay is to small to be filtered out.. must settle.
Good luck..
do you know where i can find aquarium safe red clay in the uk? is there a specific brand you would recommend?

The dirt doesn't provide nutrients for long tho.

If you want to add something to the substrate, add balls of red clay. They have way more minerals and iron in than ammonia producing dirt.
if i go the clay route how do i prepare it? also where can i find some in the uk, most brands I've seen recommended aren't available here?

do you know where i can find aquarium safe red clay in the uk? is there a specific brand you would recommend?
Unfortunately I cannot..
I got mine from my yard..ā˜ŗļø
But an idea.. check phone book.. or Google of potter's.. ask them if they have kaolinite clay...
Wot I did.. was put a layer about 2.5 cm thick on bottom cap wif sand of about double the thickness.

Unfortunately I cannot..
But an idea.. check phone book.. or Google of potter's.. ask them if they have kaolinite clay...
Wot I did.. was put a layer about 2.5 cm thick on bottom cap wif sand of about double the thickness.
i think there's a potters near me actually, i will give them a call. is all kaolinite clay safe to go straight into the tank or does it need to be rinsed first?

Unfortunately I cannot..
if i cant find any locally, is this alright to use clay?

It shud be.. if get from potter it will be wet.
The best way to test.. setup small tank like 20 ltrs.. use some of big tank water.. add some guppies..after it clears.. see wot happens.
That red clay is exactly wot I used from my land.

I got my clay from the side of a mountain. Just look around for red or orange clay that is in a clean area.

You only need a thin layer (6mm (1/4 inch). You can put it on top of the soil to stop the soil float up. The clay does cause the water to go cloudy for a few days but it normally settles quickly.

You can use it dry or wet. I prefer to use it dry and crush it into a powder. Then spread the powder over the base. You can also roll into balls about 10mm diameter and let them dry, then push the balls under plants like swordplants.

Iā€™m sort of doing it as an experiment but also to save money, for larger tank especially planted aquarium substrate is really expensive. Since the tank is going to be heavily planted with plants that are heavy root feeders itā€™s a lot easier to use a nutrient rich substrate than be constantly adding root tabs.
Ive seen many people having great success using organic topsoil which is free from pesticides ect and covering with a thick layer of sand. This prevents the soil from being disturbed and also makes the tank look a lot nicer.
I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a tried and tested brand as Iā€™m still concerned about whatā€™s in the soil.
I have to agree with Colin T.. If you are going to use a thick layer of sand anyway just use sand. Sand is good for keeping detritus from getting deep into the substrate
Iā€™m sort of doing it as an experiment but also to save money, for larger tank especially planted aquarium substrate is really expensive. Since the tank is going to be heavily planted with plants that are heavy root feeders itā€™s a lot easier to use a nutrient rich substrate than be constantly adding root tabs.
Ive seen many people having great success using organic topsoil which is free from pesticides ect and covering with a thick layer of sand. This prevents the soil from being disturbed and also makes the tank look a lot nicer.
I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a tried and tested brand as Iā€™m still concerned about whatā€™s in the soil.
I'd have to agree with Colin T. on this one. If you're putting sand in anyway why not just sand? After all the years I've kept fish I always used gravel and tried sand for the first time this past year and I love it (and so do the fish)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back