The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

ellosunshinee

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am new to the community. Hello! I currently have a 10 gallon aquarium. I acquired this aquarium from my parents who did not take care of the tank at all. They really knew nothing about fish it seems. They had one of each species. I tried to rid this tank of problems but I am not so sure I can. Only one white skirt tetra (which is dyed blue), one serpae tetra and one albino cory catfish named pumbaa (Timon passed away) remain. This was my first real aquarium attempt.
Ā 
I recently acquired a 55 gallon aquarium. I am currently working on getting a stand for it so I can start cycling. My first question is going to be regarding my old aquarium. I only have 3 fish and ideally I would like for them to somehow fit into the new aquarium. That is, unless there is a chance of the new tank "catching" a disease or bacteria from the remaining fish that I may not know exists (I have lost fish left and right in that tank...mostly due to what looks to me like swim bladder).
Ā 
For the new tank though I was thinking I for sure wanted Rummynose tetra, Emperor tetra and pearl gourami (them being the centerpiece in hopes I can find two that get along well). Does anyone have any suggestions on what other fish I can add to the tank? Any suggestions on an even better centerpiece fish? Also, I want to put sand in the new tank but I get mixed reviews on that idea...what do all of you think?

I have pearl gouramis, I had Emperors but due to me messing up I killed most of them. I know own phatmons which I find quite fun but I still miss emperors. I don't know how well they'd get on with Rummynose, There quite tough things these emperors. There fine with pearls anyway.
Ā 
You can move the cory you have left to the 55gallon so long as you have a sandĀ substrateĀ and increase the numbers to 6.
Ā 
Or instead of pearls you can have a angel pair.
Ā 
I have Pearls, German blue rams and Phantom tetrasĀ in my 53gallon.

I just basically looked up tons of tetras since they are the most plentiful for peaceful community aquariums and the emperor and rummynose are the two I thought were most attractive. What do the emperors do that the rummynose won't like or vise versa?

techen said:
I have Pearls, German blue rams and Phantom tetrasĀ in my 53gallon.
Ā 
I just looked up German blue rams. Boy, those are nice! How is their temperment? Will they get along with the fish I mentioned?

My emperors males had a habbit of chasing females a lot, There the biggest tetras you can get am sure so am sure they might bully them, You can try and see though.
Ā 
Rams are fine, So long as you give lots of hiding spaces etc you should have no problem with them.

techen said:
My emperors males had a habbit of chasing females a lot, There the biggest tetras you can get am sure so am sure they might bully them, You can try and see though.
Ā 
Rams are fine, So long as you give lots of hiding spaces etc you should have no problem with them.
Interesting. I don't really like bullies so I might ditch that idea and go with something else. Might try to make the rams work, I really like them. Thanks a bunch for the advice. Your tank looks amazing.

Haha thank you, Wish ya luck. You'll need to get pics up!

Most reactions

Back