Sand as a substrate

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

GobyMaster11276

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m planning a new setup at the moment and want to use sand as the substrate. For anyone who has used it: how do you keep it clean (especially in planted areas)? Where did you get it from (I’ve been recommended play and pool filter sand)? And how did you go about cleaning it before use? Thanks in advance.

I use pool filter sand. The poo and excess food sits on top of the sand so when I gravel vac I just hover over the stuff unti it is sucked out. If the gravel vac contacts the sand, it will be sucked out.

To clean before use, I take a hose and a bucket and just stir the sand up and leave the hose running as the water overflows into the driveway. When it's mostly clear, it's good to go.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Some people recommend pool filter sand. I personally use clean play sand. It looks more natural, and has a better color. (Pool filter sand tends to be more on the white side. ;))

I use a gravel vacuum and just sort of stir up the sand, to get all of the poop out. If you push it all the way into sand (like you do cleaning gravel) then it will suck up a lot of sand. If you have any more questions please ask! :)

Areas around plants, and those under wood or rock, I leave alone. The open areas which basically are along the front can be lightly cleaned (as described in posts 2 and 3 above). In some tanks I leave it alone. It somewhat depends upon the fish, and the plants. The organics that accumulate in the substrate get broken down by bacteria and this provides essential nutrients for live plants. CO2 is the primary nutrient that naturally occurs primarily from the organics in the substrate. Provided you do not have too many fish, or too large fish, or feed too much, waste on the substrate should not be an issue.

I clean new play sand in a bucket, just a small amount at6 a time (around 5 cups), under the tap in the sink in the utility room (you can do it outside and run the waste water into the garden). I don't clean new sand too thoroughly as it is just fine dirt and it will settle out and not harm fish or plants.

Play sand is just about the best sand for an aquarium. It looks natural, and is the least expensive without question. I am lucky to be able to get a dark grey mix (Home Depot here) and some stores have a buff tone mix. Either look very natural. There is nothing wrong with pool filter sand as such, but never use white; this is stressful for most fish because it is completely unnatural and fish are highly sensitive to light. There are aquarium sands but these are quite expensive compared to play sand. I changed over all my tanks some 8 years ago and wish I'd done it sooner. Play sand is very safe as it is the most refined of the industrial sands.

If you think about it play sand from a half reputable source has to be safe iro contaminants and sharpness because of the high probablility that the (usual) target market will eat it :angel:

I am very particular about the aesthetics of the substrate I use and am willing to put more money here and sacrifice in other areas when setting up an aquarium. When it comes to sand I use Caribsea. A consistently excellent product that allows me many different options to make my aquascape look exactly how I want it to.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back