The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
So, I have decided to completely redo my currently empty 3 gallon for a new betta. I already have a new light on it ($7 clip on desk lamp from target). I will be putting in black sand and some kind of centerpiece rock (if petstore has single pieces of dragonstone I will get that) and a dense green bottom plant. I plan on putting an anubias plant on the rock. For the bottom plant I was thinking of actually breaking down some marimo moss balls and using that to cover the bottom. What are my other options? I thought about dwarf hair grass, but don't want something I will have to trim.

Attachments

• 20200808_135302.jpg
    20200808_135302.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 87
Many people have tried Marimo moss balls as a “carpeting plant” and many have failed - I don’t recommend it.

The black sand will look really good with the dragon stone. Keep us updated! :good:

You could try a regular type of moss for the carpet rather than a plant - flame moss could be a good candidate with its vertical growth. Most carpeting plants will need trimming to keep looking good though.

You could try a regular type of moss for the carpet rather than a plant - flame moss could be a good candidate with its vertical growth. Most carpeting plants will need trimming to keep looking good though.
That is why I was thinking of the moss balls. They don't require as much maintenance as most aquarium plants. Just a squeeze and roll every once in awhile.

So, I gathered most of the mossballs from my other tanks. My lfs didn't have any anubias left, but they had an asian water fern, which I think looks pretty cool. I also put one of my few surviving stems of brazilian pennywort in there. Here is how the tank turned out. The water hasn't settled yet, so please don't mind the cloudiness. If I can manage it, I will hide my heater behind the lavarock.

Attachments

• 20200808_172742.jpg
    20200808_172742.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 20200808_172606.jpg
    20200808_172606.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 85
what about:

hydrocotyle tripartita "japan"

Easy carpet plant!

I need some now! It's gorgeous. Also love that at 1:35, you can see a couple of otocinclus suckered to the glass :D
I love the plant, combined with the hairgrass, it makes the scape look even more like a meadow :wub:
@mbsqw1d check out the video and you'll want this plant too! Also keep an eye for otos at 1:35 :wub: you know you want some to add to your tank, both the plants and the otos

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back