Re claimed wood

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
Ok bare with me here I know this is a strange one but my local nature Reserve has two large lakes , canā€™t fish them as itā€™s protected , obviously Being from Good old Lizzies England They are cold water fish , carp roach perch pike etc but there is an abundance of slate and wood just in the water I mean some of these Pieces of wood could sell for Ā£100/$125 Could I steal some for my tank , I use the word steal loosely as itā€™s a nature reserve but Iā€™m tempted lol question is if I do happen to acquire some of this wood how would I treat it ? Would it need treating as itā€™s already in a natural aquatic environment..... just curious lol

Taking wood from the water is not impossible, but it does take some work.

First step (if not obvious) is to scrub it really good. Itā€™s usual for wood collected in water to be slimy, have algae on it, or small plants. Remove all of this outside, with a hose and sponge.

After you have the majority of that cleaned off, let it dry for a bit. Then go back out with a stiff brush and brush in any/all of the small crooks that could harbor insects.

Leaving it out to dry after that, should kill them, if you donā€™t get all of them.

May I please see some pictures of said wood?

Taking wood from the water is not impossible, but it does take some work.

First step (if not obvious) is to scrub it really good. Itā€™s usual for wood collected in water to be slimy, have algae on it, or small plants. Remove all of this outside, with a hose and sponge.

After you have the majority of that cleaned off, let it dry for a bit. Then go back out with a stiff brush and brush in any/all of the small crooks that could harbor insects.

Leaving it out to dry after that, should kill them, if you donā€™t get all of them.

May I please see some pictures of said wood?
I donā€™t have any to hand right now but Il get some the next time I go , should be soon as the kids love it there from what I can make out itā€™s off a fallen willow but itā€™s old least 30 years as it was there when I was a child and I keep cichlids would look really nice as a root effect kind of thing

I boil mine but if your afraid it will break down your wood, you can poor boiling water over it and let it cool. This should run out any insects. Then rinse it one more time with boiling water. :)

No! Please don't. A nature reserve is a protected eco-system beyond just what's in the water or planted. You should leave it alone.

I donā€™t have any to hand right now but Il get some the next time I go , should be soon as the kids love it there from what I can make out itā€™s off a fallen willow but itā€™s old least 30 years as it was there when I was a child and I keep cichlids would look really nice as a root effect kind of thing
I for sure that willow wood is soft, meaning it will rot pretty quickly in your tank.

Willow is technically ā€œsafeā€ for fish tanks, just not a good idea to add for that reason. ^

No! Please don't. A nature reserve is a protected eco-system beyond just what's in the water or planted. You should leave it alone.
Yeah seems unethical lol iv laughed and joked with the grounds man a few time about getting some they donā€™t care I just always think I could av a bit the fish wonā€™t mind lmao but I guess if everyone who went there taken something there would be negative effects

You'd be disturbing the area around where you take it & any organisms there. I'd leave it alone personally. As it's a nature reserve and deemed an area of ecological importance. Maybe there are other public rivers or lakes that taking stuff wouldn't have same impact.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back