How to prepare driftwood from the local lake?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Blackwater guru

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am planning to get my first fishtank quite soon which will be a blackwater setup with 10 cardinal tetras in a 118 liter tank and possibly some mystery snails or cherry shrimp.

I live in the countryside where trees and rivers are abundant and I was thinking of collecting oak driftwood from the nearby lake for my new aquarium along with dried oak leaves which are abundant in the fall.

Of course I will still have to prepare it accordingly and to make sure it's not rotten or green.

The thing is that I am uncertain which method works the best because I have been told that oak wood should not be boiled because it will make it desintegrate faster.

There is also the method of soaking it in a plastic container for a few weeks but I am not sure if it is effective enough.

The thing is that I don't want to lose tannins because 1. I actually really like that natural blackwater look so rarely seen in a hobby where tanks filled with plants and crystal clear water seems to be the norm.

2. I prefer enviroments that simulate the habitat of the individual fishes which is exactly why I have not tried a community tank nor am I interested in keeping one.

and 3. The tannins may look unsightly to some but for the fish tannins are amazing because they have anti fungal and stress reducing properties and it can help protect against diseases.

What are the things I should be aware of when using driftwood from the local lake/river ?

I soak my driftwood in a tube until it sinks and that is all that i do and it works great for my fish and it grows lots of algae on it which is great for fish and lowers the ph a little.

I would be worried about bacteria if your not going to boil it. I don't think boiling will cause much tannin loss. White oak is pretty rot resistant

I would be worried about bacteria if your not going to boil it. I don't think boiling will cause much tannin loss. White oak is pretty rot resistant
I forgot to mention I am not american but swedish and white oak does not exist here but are there other oak tree species resistant to boiling that grow where I live?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back