April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

The subwassertang can not be planted. It will float around the tank, or ball up and roll around. You might be able to anchor it down. It has no roots, and is considered a type of fern, I think. It grows slowly, but looks very nice.
I looked it up and "it" (🤔) says it is a moss. It does look fern-ish, though. It is quite pretty...I would probably melt it or turn it to stone 🤣

Actually, based on research, I think I would like to go with anacharis instead of frogbit. Reason being I feel the flow on my two hob filters will be too much for frogbit even if flow is a minimum. Any chance you can give more info on anachairs like their plant care and requirements such as temperature, light, etc. thanks
also anachairs would be ok with flow right? (as a floater plant)
Anacharis will definitely go with the flow. It is reasonably priced. It can grow in lower lighting, but I am guessing the more light the faster the rate of growth. Somebody else will have to weigh in on that since I don't have fancy lights on any of my tanks.

I just skimmed back over your original post, and if you are just starting out with live plants I definitely recommend Anacharis.
You will get the most enjoyment I think, because you will be able to see the growth sooner than with other slow-growing plants.
🌿

I strongly suspect that subwassertang will rot if put under the substrate, as will Java ferns and anubias. The Java and anubias need their roots and rhizome exposed to the water.
The subwassertang does not grow roots, but can (eventually) anchor itself in the tank. It absorbs all of its nutrients and light directly into its ribbons (not sure what the correct term is). If those ribbons have zero access to light/nutrients it will die. You can just let it float around the tank, or wedge it between rocks/wood.

I strongly suspect that subwassertang will rot if put under the substrate, as will Java ferns and anubias. The Java and anubias need their roots and rhizome exposed to the water.
The subwassertang does not grow roots, but can (eventually) anchor itself in the tank. It absorbs all of its nutrients and light directly into its ribbons (not sure what the correct term is). If those ribbons have zero access to light/nutrients it will die. You can just let it float around the tank, or wedge it between rocks/wood.
@vanalisa ive found a different plant that is very similar to subwassertang I think or so have people mentioned. But I’ve read some articles that these plants can die off much easier than subwassertang and that it will usually break into a million pieces. Just wondering on your thoughts about this? It’s called pellia moss and I will put down a link to the plant that if I were to buy it would be online. Thanks in advance.
pellia moss: https://shrimpfever.com/product/pellia-moss-loose-clump/

I like a lot of floating Anacharis myself. Very good for the water and gives the tank a different scape after every WC!
I will most likely get Anacharis now lol. I’ve done a bit more research and saw that it may be better. Worth a shot!

@vanalisa ive found a different plant that is very similar to subwassertang I think or so have people mentioned. But I’ve read some articles that these plants can die off much easier than subwassertang and that it will usually break into a million pieces. Just wondering on your thoughts about this? It’s called pellia moss and I will put down a link to the plant that if I were to buy it would be online. Thanks in advance.
pellia moss: https://shrimpfever.com/product/pellia-moss-loose-clump/
Yeah that's one of the sites that I looked at; it certainly is beautiful, and I think it is the same thing.
I like moss I've never had much luck with it, though. the guy at my local fish store said that Christmas Moss is the easiest to grow. I have no evidence either way on that since I didn't buy some.
Someday I would like to have a fancier landscaped tank, but for now I'm sticking with the plants that work for me.
And my fish of course!
😊🌿😁

Incidentally, have you ever thought of putting pothos ivy in your tank? You can put it in with just the roots under water, but I often put a whole stem with three or four leaves underneath. the plant will not remain indefinitely under water like that and eventually after a few months you will get a leaf that wilts and dies, or rots if you don't remove it in time.
I have some in most of my tanks, and as in the case of the other plants I use, I enjoy seeing the roots grow. It provides cover for fish, they can float, be stuck in or under decor, and it will also root in sand or gravel.
🌟

Yeah that's one of the sites that I looked at; it certainly is beautiful, and I think it is the same thing.
I like moss I've never had much luck with it, though. the guy at my local fish store said that Christmas Moss is the easiest to grow. I have no evidence either way on that since I didn't buy some.
Someday I would like to have a fancier landscaped tank, but for now I'm sticking with what works for me. 😊🌿😁
And my fish of course!
Do you think I should get it? These things sell out QUICK. only thing is I still need my lights to come in and I would probably need my anarchairs first for shade. I’m actually planning on getting Christmas moss! I just don’t know whether I should go for Christmas or Java moss 🤦‍♂️😂

Do you think I should get it? These things sell out QUICK. only thing is I still need my lights to come in and I would probably need my anarchairs first for shade. I’m actually planning on getting Christmas moss! I just don’t know whether I should go for Christmas or Java moss 🤦‍♂️😂
Honestly I can't tell you which one to get... If you have the money get one of the easier mosses like Christmas or Java.
I would wait till you have more experience to get the Subwassertang. But I'm kind of a wimp 🤣

Someday I would like to have a fancier landscaped tank, but for now I'm sticking with the plants that work for me.
And my fish of course!
😊🌿😁

Incidentally, have you ever thought of putting pothos ivy in your tank? You can put it in with just the roots under water, but I often put a whole stem with three or four leaves underneath. the plant will not remain indefinitely under water like that and eventually after a few months you will get a leaf that wilts and dies, or rots if you don't remove it in time.
I have some in most of my tanks, and as in the case of the other plants I use, I enjoy seeing the roots grow. It provides cover for fish, they can float, be stuck in or under decor, and it will also root in sand or gravel.
🌟
About your pothos ivy I doubt it would be anywhere near me but I can look!

I don't know how many people would participate but you could start a poll asking people what kind of moss they prefer, Christmas or Java?

Honestly I can't tell you which one to get... If you have the money get one of the easier mosses like Christmas or Java.
I would wait till you have more experience to get the Subwassertang. But I'm kind of a wimp 🤣
Apparently subwassertang is very easy to grow. Like Cory from aquarium co op on YouTube said he’s never seen one die before lol. That’s why I wanted it, thought it would be a nice easy plant

Most reactions

trending

Back