Planning to get ADFs tomorrow! Any advice?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Seisage

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've done all the basic research, so don't worry, I'm not going in blind and I'm not looking for basic care info.

What I'd like to know is if anyone could share personal experiences with them, especially things that you wish you knew before getting them which aren't covered in online resources.

For context, here's my rough plan:
-2 ADFs
-5.5gal tank
-Silica sand substrate (pool filter sand) — yes I'm aware of the arguments about substrate. I've seen ADF breeders on other forums say smooth silica sand is a good choice if you aren't going bare-bottom, and I don't think I want to go bare-bottom
-Sponge filter?? Here's where some advice might be good. I've heard very conflicting things about filtration, all the way from "no filter is best!" to "I've used whatever kind of HOB I have and my frogs are fine". I was thinking a sponge filter would be a good middle ground, since they have such low flow, and Josh's Frogs does recommend a sponge filter. The only thing is that I'd have to get a new air pump.
-Live plants — I already have anubias and java fern. May pick up some stem plants, we'll see

The tank is already cycled and has been running for a long time. I will need to change out the substrate since it's painted gravel, so I'll lose some BB but hopefully not a ton. I already know that the frogs are poor hunters and are rather clumsy. I'm planning on feeding them from a terracotta plate :)

Does this plan sound alright? Any little froggy quirks people have noticed that might be good to know? If I have to wait on getting the frogs, I definitely will, but it would be lovely to be able to get them tomorrow.

S
I've done all the basic research, so don't worry, I'm not going in blind and I'm not looking for basic care info.

What I'd like to know is if anyone could share personal experiences with them, especially things that you wish you knew before getting them which aren't covered in online resources.

For context, here's my rough plan:
-2 ADFs
-5.5gal tank
-Silica sand substrate (pool filter sand) — yes I'm aware of the arguments about substrate. I've seen ADF breeders on other forums say smooth silica sand is a good choice if you aren't going bare-bottom, and I don't think I want to go bare-bottom
-Sponge filter?? Here's where some advice might be good. I've heard very conflicting things about filtration, all the way from "no filter is best!" to "I've used whatever kind of HOB I have and my frogs are fine". I was thinking a sponge filter would be a good middle ground, since they have such low flow, and Josh's Frogs does recommend a sponge filter. The only thing is that I'd have to get a new air pump.
-Live plants — I already have anubias and java fern. May pick up some stem plants, we'll see

The tank is already cycled and has been running for a long time. I will need to change out the substrate since it's painted gravel, so I'll lose some BB but hopefully not a ton. I already know that the frogs are poor hunters and are rather clumsy. I'm planning on feeding them from a terracotta plate :)

Does this plan sound alright? Any little froggy quirks people have noticed that might be good to know? If I have to wait on getting the frogs, I definitely will, but it would be lovely to be able to get them tomorrow.
Sounds good. We have 2 ADFs in a 5 g lightly planted tank with sponge filter and one mystery snail. No fish or shrimp. We keep water temp at 80F. Weekly 20% water changes. The frogs have been with us for a year.

Sounds good. We have 2 ADFs in a 5 g lightly planted tank with sponge filter and one mystery snail. No fish or shrimp. We keep water temp at 80F. Weekly 20% water changes. The frogs have been with us for a year.
Great, thank you! Yes, I plan on the ADFs being the only inhabitants apart from some ramshorns. Glad to know that a sponge filter has worked well for your guys

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back