Pics! Setting Up

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jollysue

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
I am setting up the new tank, a SeaClear 125 usg System II. I have never had an internal wet/dry filter before. I plan to start with a bag of sand & a bag of gravel (both African Cichlid Eco Complete substrate), 60 pounds of lace rock, BioSira, TLC, 3 bags of ChemiPure filter medium, two 250 watt Visitherm Stealth heaters, an air pump to boost the biospheres and an air pump to run two long air stones in the tank.

I am beginning to wash the rock now. When the rock is ready I will put the substrate in, add half a tank of water and begin to try to build something with the rock.

Does any one have suggestions or any comments on this?

There will be 6 Moba Zaire Frontosas of 3" to 6". Later I will add some synos. I have 2 medium size 5" synos and 8 dwarf petocolas to chose from.

Yes, well, it's up and running. As soon as I'm satisfied that the temperature is stable I will add the Mobas.

I've decided to not put the dwarf synos in with the fronts. I suppose I will acclimate them to a tropical tank. Or maybe I will have to have an African tank of smaller fish. :drool: I will put it on the roof. :lol:

I am setting up the new tank, an air pump to boost the biospheres and an air pump to run two long air stones in the tank.

If it was me I would not add the two airstone into the main part of the tank. If you are trying to create a natural looking lake environment, masses of bubbles is the last thing you would expect to see. In order to keep the oxygen levels up in my tank I use surface agitation from the external filter inflow pipe and I have also inserted an airstone down into inside the internal juwel filter box. This provides adequate amount of gaseous exchange.

But then again you may like the look of bubbles, horses for courses!!

Looking forward to seeing some pics.

I have put the Mobas in the tank. As usual I made a mess of it. Fortunately they are hardy fish. I think you are right, the bubbles don't look right. But I have seen the Moba swim in it, although not much. I was thinking of taking the air stones out. The fish are grouped at the other end. I expect they will investgate more tomorrow.

I will post pics. Right now it is a bunch of rocks with six fish bunched up at one end.

The LFS got me my tank, delivered it, and picked out the rocks. They were easier than I thought to put together

Thanks tanks a lot for posting

The Moba are spreading out, although the younger ones are sticking pretty close together. The largest has staked out a spot near where the air stones are turned off. The littler guys try to hang with him, but he keeps telling them to, "Scram!"

Airstone to very little to nothing for oxygen levels, it's just personal preference on looks really. A good filter creating lot's of surface aggitation is what is needed.

The SystemII has a self contained wet dry internal filtration system. It uses a prefilter of micron fiber, a Protien Skimmer Chamber (dont have one), two bio-chamber filled with bio balls, and a chemical filter tray. I have 3 Chemi-Pure bages in that.

There is an air injection nozzle that shoots extra air into the bio chambers with the system. I have a smaller pump connected to that to increase the bio load.

I like air stones, but I am undecided whether to keep it on or move it. I have to get used to the tank.

Thanks for responding, jayjay.

I have presently decided to not put the dwarf petrocolas in any of the frontie tanks. I will get something else. They would make expensive sushi.

One more thing, I may have some comments in the future but for now; if you have a wet/dry filter why do you need to add an airstone to add air, surely a wet/dry adds enough oxygen?

I like the bubbles. :)

I also think many Synos like water movement.

The wet/dry system has an air jet injection to the bio chambers to boost the nitrifying bacteria, etc., in case of heavy loads. With six fronts and the future Synos I expect the filtration can use any boost it can get. I just have a small 20 usg pump connected to it.

I'm looking forward to any comments from you jayjay. :good:

If they like water movement buy a powerhead :)

One of the points of a wet/dry filter though is that even without the 'air injection' it should oxygenate the water more than enough.

Yeah, I wouldn't say that, I'll talk and talk to anyone who will listen :lol:

I've got air pumps. :) (I might have a very small powerhead in the fish closet. Maybe put it in, but my goldie would like it too.)

As long as you promise to not send the Extermination Team over, talk on. :p I can exterminate my Betta without any help, thanks. :huh:

Horrible things betta's though *cringes* along with oscars, livebearers except pike livebearers and others.

Any pics of the tank yet?

Sorry about the pics. I have to get the camera out of the car and charge the battery.

Now, I have two deliveries of new fish coming. New stock for the Moba tank (see new thread) and a covey of baby albino cories. It will take a few days to see to the fishies. Then if I am not back on the job yet, I will see about pics. Right now the Mobas have plastic plants floating around to help with the cycling. The Bismark tank looks like it was thrown together with the hodge podge of stuff thrown in to make caves and cover for 8 fronts that were in 40 usg. That's where the plastic plants came from. I want to take some pictures to post, though. :nod: :hey:

Sorry again for picking holes but plastic plants to help cycle :S How? The bacteria on them or something? There would be hardly any, in comparison to the filter media.

To cycle a tank just put mature media into the new filter or run the new and old filter's together.

Well, as I understand, jayjay, everything has bacteria on it that is in a tank. If I could figure out how to run an extra mature filter in this tank I would. I always have extra filters running. I am trying to figure that out. As it is I am putting in media from other tanks. The media cup is not extra large. I can just fit 3 bags overflowing of ChemiPure. But you are certainly right, I need to add more mature media.

And I don't mind the picking, if that is what it is. It's not suppose to be about my ego, but about the hobby. I'm always glad to learn or be reminded. :thanks:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back