Pics! Setting Up

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

But it's such a tiny amount :lol: there's like no point. Media has the high oxygen levels and current over it and the huge surface area to hold loooooooooads of bacteria.

I'm sure you're right, I just figure every little bit helps in a new tank. I don't usually lose fish when starting a new tank. This tank has an internal wet/dry filter that I'm unfamiliar with. I just am doing whatever has worked in the past. :hyper:

Ok, my new setup will have about loooooooads of media in it for just this reason. Will have the 48x12x15 tank I have as a sump full of media, with 24x18x13 trickle tower. :)

pics please. What kind of tank? where's your thread? You are a #'s person, I have to get out my pencil and paper. :blink:

No pics, don't have it yet :fun: Type of tank will be glass, rectangle in shape. No thread. Will be a 4'x2'x2' 120g, with trickle tower and sump as said, pump turning water over 5x an hour. Yeah, I use alot of numbers and science.

Ok maybe the sump is about 40 usg, the trickle tower about 20 usg.? Awesome!!!

I could do that maybe someday. I would like to increase all my tanks but no more room. The sump thing is doable with three of my tanks that have nice pine stands. Although the fish would most likely prefer move swim room. I don't know what a trickle tower is.

I just ordered an internal canister for the 40 corner Bismark tank. In time I can upgrade some stuff. I am impressed boss. :good:

Trickle towers are boxes with no top or bottom, at the top water falls onto filter floss to remove bits, then in falls onto a condesatation try with holes in, then 'trickles' through bio balls or the like. Very good filtration. The sump has a very good surface area, which is good.

Will look like this basic diagram, my new tank

sumpdiagram-6.jpg

Glass boxes in the corners are weirs, black box will be pump and green is filter media.

weirs?

The new Moba tank has a trickle filter then. Water goes through a prefilter of micron fiber, then through a skimmer box (I don't have a skimmer), then through a trickle filter w/ bio balls, then through a filter box in which I have ChemiPure bags and a bag of AquaClear BioMax.

Weirs - the glass sections with slits and holes etc. to drain and add water back to the tank.

Yours sort of does, yes.

The nitrites reached .5. I added 5 qts of substrate from other tanks and stripped some sponges from other filters, added more rocks from the Bismark tank. It dropped the nitrites down to .25. When the tank is a little more settled, I will do a 25% water change.

Edit: The 25% water change lowered the nitrites to -0-. Whew!

So, jayjay, the water in your coming tank flows from the tank on the left and pumps to the tank on the right?

Sorry, the rocks and substrate have some but hardly any bacteria, just the filter media would of made a difference.

Good that they are at 0 again.

Yes, water goes through he slits, drains through the 'hole' at the bottom (on the right), falls through trickle tower, into sump through the media, where it's drawn by the power of the pump, the pump pushes it up back into the tank, on the left.

*Wonders off back to water changing fry tanks.*

Tonight the tank tested -0- nitrites and ammonia!!! Whop! hehe

I will keep testing!!!

What fry are you raising, jayjay?

That's good.

Rainbow cichlids, nothing special. May try breed something a bit harder when I have room again, some kind of plec or simple cichlid probably though.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back