Peacocks Vs Mbuna

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yanks15

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I am having second thoughts on the stocking of my new tank. I initially was convinced I wanted a Mbuna community and than someone showed some Peacocks. Now I'm not 100% sure. I know that there are plenty of people here that keep/kept Mbuna but I noticed there isn't much discussion about Peacocks. I would appreciate some opinions from people who have had Peacocks and how they are to keep compared to Mbuna.

Thanks,
Steve

I currently have peacocks, but have listed all for sale as I'm moving towards Mbuna.

Male peacocks are stunning - there's no denying that, but as a result, buying adult males is not a cheap thing to do. Females are bland to say the least though. I tried an all male setup and there were some great looking fish, but it was VERY boring to look at as there was just no interaction - although some of the line bred fish have a really bad attitude. I added some females and then was disappointed that there were so many brown fish in there.

Just a personal opinion...but my mind's made up!

Thanks for your input. The adult males were what caught my eye and the idea of being able to put together a mostly male community that is fairly peaceful was an attraction. I do like the activeness of the Mbuna and am planning a fairly peaceful tank with them anyway. I know that it's not a good idea to mix them, but have you ever tried?

Anybody else with an opinion?

I had some yellow labs in with mine. Consensus is that this is ok but you have to be wary of the different dietry requirements. Others aren't so suitable due to the aggression.

An all male community does look good, but you have to be ready to swap fish in and out to make sure you get the right balance in the tank.

I had some yellow labs in with mine. Consensus is that this is ok but you have to be wary of the different dietry requirements. Others aren't so suitable due to the aggression.

An all male community does look good, but you have to be ready to swap fish in and out to make sure you get the right balance in the tank.
By balance you mean? I have done some research on Aulonocara and have found that most are compatible with each other. The fish I have picked for stocking should all be approximately the same adult size and all different coloration for variety and to keep from having cross-breeding, hopefully. I would still want some females for possible breeding too.

By balance you mean? I have done some research on Aulonocara and have found that most are compatible with each other. The fish I have picked for stocking should all be approximately the same adult size and all different coloration for variety and to keep from having cross-breeding, hopefully. I would still want some females for possible breeding too.

By balance I'm talking about aggression. Fish have very individual personalities and you can't guarantee that they will always get along. I found that adding one wrong fish could throw the whole thing out of kilter.

Yes most Aulonocara are compatible, as long as the males don't look alike. What have you picked out so far for stocking?

The problem with having "some" females is that the males aren't fussy - not at all! And because most of the females look the same, there will more than likely be some cross-breeding. I would suggest you either have a few breeding groups (not just Aulonocara, but some of the smaller Haps), or go down the all male route. I wouldn't recommend just having a couple of females in there with a load of males.

By balance I'm talking about aggression. Fish have very individual personalities and you can't guarantee that they will always get along. I found that adding one wrong fish could throw the whole thing out of kilter.

Yes most Aulonocara are compatible, as long as the males don't look alike. What have you picked out so far for stocking?

The problem with having "some" females is that the males aren't fussy - not at all! And because most of the females look the same, there will more than likely be some cross-breeding. I would suggest you either have a few breeding groups (not just Aulonocara, but some of the smaller Haps), or go down the all male route. I wouldn't recommend just having a couple of females in there with a load of males.
I am quoting verbatim from my ex as he sits here.. he has paid our mortgage in full multiple times with his breeding tanks tha used to be in our basement.
He admits this is his take and could be a narrow view.

" Even the best of Mbuna get pissy. Keep them out of your Peacock tanks.. AN all male is easy, Yet with the exception of color they become boring as they will swim without reason.
Although colored none are ever fully colored without the females, peacocks are not suited for normal African tanks they are fringe fish.. not quite rock dwellers but not fully open water.
His advise, 2 colors in a 1 to 3 and let em fight a bit.. calls it "imaginary tug of war" you get the full effect of the natural behavior and full show quality color, which is what makes these fish fun, not a bunch of 1/2 colored, lost souls.

He smiled about the "all females look alike" comment and responded
"Somewhat, BUT given proper care and discretionary mixing a cross grouping will be selective, including females, YOU cant see the differences, They can, you introduce the like strains together then yes,that is a mistake, maybe.. a good balance is key, and never let a weak male hold a group... (one statement i had issue with as he would banish a non fighter and replace him)
I know not the F0 - f1 stuff he talked. It's so complicated,

If you want action then go Mbuna, overstock at 1-3, and enjoy.
now i personally know little about them I do however trust this advice, since he has over 17years breeding, and that he didn't just make that up.

Possible stocking:

Aulonocara sp. German Red
" baenschi
" maylandi
" ethalwynnea
" Staurtgranti "Flametail"

I would still try to stick to a 1M-3F if adding the girls but I know the females do look quite alike.

I am quoting verbatim from my ex as he sits here.. he has paid our mortgage in full multiple times with his breeding tanks tha used to be in our basement.

" Even the best of Mbuna get pissy. Keep them out of your Peacock tanks.. AN all male is easy, Yet with the exception of color they become boring as they will swim without reason.
Although colored none are ever fully colored without the females, peacocks are not suited for normal African tanks they are fringe fish.. not quite rock dwellers but not fully open water.
His advise, 2 colors in a 1 to 3 and let em fight a bit.. calls it "imaginary tug of war" you get the full effect of the natural behavior and full show quality color, which is what makes these fish fun, not a bunch of 1/2 colored, lost souls.

"Somewhat, BUT given proper care and discretionary mixing a cross grouping will be selective, including females, YOU cant see the differences, They can, you introduce the like strains together then yes,that is a mistake, maybe.. a good balance is key, and never let a weak male hold a group... (one statement i had issue with as he would banish a non fighter and replace him)

now i personally know little about them I do however trust this advice, since he has over 17years breeding, and that he didn't just make that up.

Thanks for the info. The activity of the Mbuna was what originally drew them to me, although I don't want a tank full of fighters either. I noted in my reply to njstockley my possible stocking. Does your ex feel there are proper pairings of the group and if only recommends 2 types, what else could be put in with them to liven the tank?

I currently have peacocks, but have listed all for sale as I'm moving towards Mbuna.

Male peacocks are stunning - there's no denying that, but as a result, buying adult males is not a cheap thing to do. Females are bland to say the least though. I tried an all male setup and there were some great looking fish, but it was VERY boring to look at as there was just no interaction - although some of the line bred fish have a really bad attitude. I added some females and then was disappointed that there were so many brown fish in there.

Just a personal opinion...but my mind's made up!

I couldn't agree more here. I had looked at some peacocks as the males were beautiful, but we decided to go with mbuna instead. As a result I have a male/female community and its colorful and active all around. The females are just as stunning as the males and they all interact together (and I know they are interacting cause i have found the random offspring lol) The only not so colorful fish I have in that tank are my Hap Tomatoes, and that is because they are young and not fully colored.

DSC00641.jpg

these are my two males in my mbuna setup have had no aggression issues with any of my mbuna most are about the same size 5"+ the dominant male does chase the other male but never seen them lock lips :D

in the past month i have had 6 holding females and my auratus is holding for a second time, i even caught them on video spawning her laying eggs picking them up in her mouth and the male fertilizing them from his anal fin, i have over 100 fry and had to buy 2 tanks just to keep them in and grow them on :D

Thanks for the info. The activity of the Mbuna was what originally drew them to me, although I don't want a tank full of fighters either. I noted in my reply to njstockley my possible stocking. Does your ex feel there are proper pairings of the group and if only recommends 2 types, what else could be put in with them to liven the tank?
the two color thing is is for brightest color and most activity from them, it is a breeding set up in effect,but didn't elaborate on exactly which to put together.
He did say that allot of all male tanks look good, and I personally feel he gave his own personal, heavily biased opinion as a breeder, He poo poos allot of things I think are gorgeousness so take that advice for what it is. I was typing that as he gave a long winded explanation of coloration, and what brings the most out, snd of fish behavior in differing scenarios etc. It was hard to keep up and still present the full thought he was presenting.

Mbuna are not really fighters, just territorial. Way more active, if stocked carefully you should have only minor disturbances while they work out the pecking order.

DSC00641.jpg

these are my two males in my mbuna setup have had no aggression issues with any of my mbuna most are about the same size 5"+ the dominant male does chase the other male but never seen them lock lips :D

in the past month i have had 6 holding females and my auratus is holding for a second time, i even caught them on video spawning her laying eggs picking them up in her mouth and the male fertilizing them from his anal fin, i have over 100 fry and had to buy 2 tanks just to keep them in and grow them on :D

Great looking fish. What mbuna do you keep them with?

my stock

Pseudotropheus Acei 2m
Labidochromis Caeruleus 2m3f +4 unknown sex (20 fry)
Pseudotropheus Flavus 2m1f (and a 5 juveniles)
Cynotilapia Afra 'Chiwindi' 3m2f (40+ fry)
Metriaclima Patricki 'Jalo Reef' 2m3f (13 fry)
Otopharynx Lithobates 'Zimbabwe Rock' 1f
Metriaclima lombardoi 2f
Metriaclima estherae x1
Cyrtocara moorii x1
Pseudotropheus demasoni x2
Melanochromis auratus 1m1f (20 fry)
and a couple of unkown species

my stock

Pseudotropheus Acei 2m
Labidochromis Caeruleus 2m3f +4 unknown sex (20 fry)
Pseudotropheus Flavus 2m1f (and a 5 juveniles)
Cynotilapia Afra 'Chiwindi' 3m2f (40+ fry)
Metriaclima Patricki 'Jalo Reef' 2m3f (13 fry)
Otopharynx Lithobates 'Zimbabwe Rock' 1f
Metriaclima lombardoi 2f
Metriaclima estherae x1
Cyrtocara moorii x1
Pseudotropheus demasoni x2
Melanochromis auratus 1m1f (20 fry)
and a couple of unkown species

Any photos? sounds like a very nice community.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back