Overstocked

OP
M

mrp3

Reaction score
I did a whole lot more than he did he couldn't give a s*** when they bred and it came time to sell them he was like yes 100 bucks and I didn't get any money I just helped him cause if I didn't he was planning on buying 8 to behind with and he was going to get a 40 gallon tank but at least I got him to get a 100 gallon

Reaction score
Then why do you still have a clown loach in a 30g tank knowing that he will get to big and prefer to be in a 6+ shoal?

OP
M

mrp3

Reaction score
Because right now it's a juvenile and I'm working on getting a 75 gallon tank for him then I'll get 5 more

Wills

Staff member
Reaction score
Have to admit I am skeptical about breeding Clown Loaches in captivity - even fish farms dont breed them commercially, most clown loaches are farmed from rivers or wild ponds/pools.

Also choosing to let a Clown Loach to 15 inches is an odd thing to say, Clown Loaches take years and years to grow likely 8 or 9 years to get to that kind of size.

As others have said, if this is true it is the first time they have been bred in captivity.

Sorry but I just dont exactly believe that this is as it seems.

Wills

Reaction score
Because right now it's a juvenile and I'm working on getting a 75 gallon tank for him then I'll get 5 more
But my point is, right now, there is a good chance he is not happy. Also, what if you cannot quickly aquire a 75g and that clown loach gets bigger? He will become stunted. And he will be damaged. And his life will be shortened. I had a clown loach in a 40g tank and I rehomed at 2 inches long because this was a concern of mine, and as a responsible fish keeper, it should be a concern of yours too. I had only had him a few weeks before the members of this forum told me I was wrong. I am not trying to ride your case, it is just that this kind of reckless regard for the well being of a pet just gets to me. I know I have not been perfect at this, and I have made stocking mistakes. Heck I had to rush setup a 55g due to a stocking discrepancy. It happens. But you have many people telling you what this fish needs, and you are blowing them off.

I understand that you think he is okay now in a little tank, and that you have time. But it is best to put a fish originally in a tank that will suit it as an adult. This way you do not risk stunting the growth of the fish.

OP
M

mrp3

Reaction score
Well the 75 is coming next month

Tizer

Team TetraTEC
Reaction score

AlexG

Reaction score

discus_crazy

Reaction score
I'd be reluctant to stock up to capacity on platys. They must breed relatively easily. I remember getting up one morning to a tank full of little tiddlers (they were soooooo cute though). Might have been swordtails come to think of it.

Reaction score
I'd be reluctant to stock up to capacity on platys. They must breed relatively easily. I remember getting up one morning to a tank full of little tiddlers (they were soooooo cute though). Might have been swordtails come to think of it.
I give my babies away for free lol. I love my platys and swords but their libidos leave something to be desired, so once a month i put out a free ad and people come pick em right out of my tank :p had numerous ones got to 100+ gallon tanks.