Overstocked

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mrp3

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Is my tank overstocked? I have 2 female red platy 1 male red platy 1 male panda platy and 1 female sunburst platy also got 3 cardinal tetras 1 pineapple swordtail a 2 inch bristlenose pleco and a 3 inch clown loach.

I plan to get 3 more female platy and another juvenile clown loach would this overstock my tank?

Any advice would be good.
Thanks

Is my tank overstocked? I have 2 female red platy 1 male red platy 1 male panda platy and 1 female sunburst platy also got 3 cardinal tetras 1 pineapple swordtail a 2 inch bristlenose pleco and a 3 inch clown loach.

I plan to get 3 more female platy and another juvenile clown loach would this overstock my tank?

Any advice would be good.
Thanks

What size is your tank? Keep in mind clown loaches get very large, and should only be kept in a tank around 75 gallons.

I have a 30 gallon oops that was important and I have a method to keep them 8 in. At a max. My friends and I used to breed them but when he moved I was left with 2 and then one died at 17 years old

I have a 30 gallon oops that was important and I have a method to keep them 8 in. At a max. My friends and I used to breed them but when he moved I was left with 2 and then one died at 17 years old

Even at 8 inches they're still very big and bulky fish, it would still be bad to keep one of them in a 30 gallon, none the less two. I also believe they enjoy being in groups, so I don't believe it's a good idea to keep the clown loach.

Cardinal tetras are also shoaling fish, and the magic number with shoalers for me is 6 at least.

I prefer 5 for shoalers but with these I think I'm gonna stay with 3

Most of our clowns only grew about 5-6 inches we didn't really want them to thrive we had a 100 gal and a 30 gal for breeding at one point we had 22 loaches but then we started selling them 10 bucks each we sold 10 of them then right after we got rid of them we got 8 more from breeding then we sold them too

They do not get past inches because fish will only get as big as the tank will allow them to. But the problem with this practice is that their internal organs do NOT stop growing and they end up with internal damage. We are not trying to get on your back, as you told me in your other post, but trying to advise as to what is best for your fish.

we didn't really want them to thrive

This made me throw up in my mouth a little.

Our first try we let 4 of them get up to 15 inches then nobody wanted them until we gave them for 3 each except 2 for breeding purposes then sold those 2 large ones once next batch was nice an developed

Breeding and making money then in the last 2 months before he moved we broke down his 220 salt and filled it with fresh and boy did they love that they definitely thrived in there and now I have a juvenile about maybe 4-6 months old from our last batch

And if these fish really thrive u know how large they can get

Now I don't breed fish anymore aquaria is just a hobby now a days but watching these fish is very very fun still can't wait for my first batch of platy I hope they're hybrids they look cool

Now I don't breed fish anymore aquaria is just a hobby now a days but watching these fish is very very fun still can't wait for my first batch of platy I hope they're hybrids they look cool
Believe it or not, the platy/sword hybrids dont look any different. These are some of my juveniles and younger fry.

3mos Juvie
DSCN3070.jpg

2mos Juvie with adult Panda
DSCN3068.jpg

1mos
DSCN3066.jpg

1 mos
DSCN3065.jpg

Oh I love my babies. The ones in the last picture of fry from my bumblebee platy. The funny thing is they were born cream colored and developed the black about a week in. I have one in my tank, who wont let me snap a photo of him, that is almost all black.

I can't wait till mine come I'm guessing within 1 week prolly less based on how fat my platy is getting

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back