New To Gouramis! Help!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mrstwalker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have seen some Gouramis in the local fish hobbyist store and have seen some on here. I am interested in adding them to my 20gal. tank as a community fish. What fish pair well with them? What is the best tank size? Basically I need general information about Gouramis

THANKS!

It depends on which one you're getting as to most of your questions.
Honeys are small and peaceful so think 10-15g for them, I havn't heard them having issues with other fish.
Three-spots can be aggressive and get larger so need something like a 30g, and tankmates chosen more carefully.

For a 20g tank I would stick with dwarf gouramis. As Ninj mentioned the Honey is really pretty. The Flame Dwarf Gourami is also very pretty. Once you start moving up to the larger Gouramis you really need a bigger tank and have to be careful with tank mates due to aggression. Gouramis like hiding spots so plants are a big plus.

There is a section in TFF dedicated to Labyrinth species of fish which includes Gouramis. It's not a completely comprehensive list of all Gouramis but it's a good starting point. Here is a link.....

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/forum/39-labyrinth/

Don't know if they are available, but pigmy gouramis such as Licorice or Sparkling are great and you can get a pair.

Sparkling gouramis maybe small but they can get territorial once they're well-established in the tank. Not nippy or chasy, just plain territorial lol..

They're nice additions though. Go for cobalt/powder blue dwarf! They're sooo pretty :D

I keep a pair of Honeys with norman's lampeyes, snails and shrimp and they have been perfectly gentle with everyone.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back