Honey Gourami male or female

Boschlj123

New Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2026
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Points
3
Location
California
Hi! How’s everyone doing?
First post and I searched and found a few of this topic. Just wanted to get my two cents worth. Was looking at some help sexing my young honey gourami golds. Any information would be great as I’m new to this hobby and these are the first gourami I have kept. Sometimes they have the line more prominent others almost gone. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3220.webp
    IMG_3220.webp
    138.1 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_3221.webp
    IMG_3221.webp
    210.8 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_3222.webp
    IMG_3222.webp
    174.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3219.webp
    IMG_3219.webp
    152.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3223.webp
    IMG_3223.webp
    141.9 KB · Views: 100
Females usually show a horizontal brown stripe along the body and Never develop a dark throat patch like males do. Dorsal Fin Shape in female is shorter and rounded whereas in males the tail fin is longer and pointed. I think you have females.
 
I have a male and female.

They sure are nosy little blighters.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0324.webp
    IMG_0324.webp
    51 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0325.webp
    IMG_0325.webp
    20.8 KB · Views: 58
This was my female Honey. Looks very similar to yours :)
 
My two again.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0341.webp
    IMG_0341.webp
    37.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0340.webp
    IMG_0340.webp
    28.2 KB · Views: 40
Was looking at some help sexing my young honey gourami golds. Any information would be great as I’m new to this hobby and these are the first gourami I have kept.
Welcome to the hobby. These are specifically very peaceful species, but I do understand the concern around the males still getting somewhat feisty with each other. With all gourami/bettas and all members of their family, they may switch sexes before maturity. There are still characteristics which can determine what they are on route for though. Your specimens look like females, since they are duller, and my clear giveaway which is the rounder belly compared to the male juveniles. Side note, this isn't always a giveaway but to reinforce the data, females often have a much richer and defined stripe, which yours have.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top