The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kabernick30

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Recently 3 of my 6 fish have died due to what appears to be a internal parasite causing dropsy. I currently have nothing to treat the tank however im curious if ishould treat it or is it to late as it seems to be spreading.

Also would transferring gravel, driftwood and filter media to a new paracitic free tank be a bad idea or are parasites strictly just within the fish?

What size is the tank?
What are the readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?
Is your tank cycled?
What species are the fish?
Do you have any pictures of the infected fish?

Blondielovesfish said:
What size is the tank?
What are the readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?
Is your tank cycled?
What species are the fish?
Do you have any pictures of the infected fish?
Is a 10 gallon, its been running for 9 months the ammonia is 0 but idk about the other readings, and i have 2 zebra tetras and a cory cat but they dont appear infected until they are dead in which they are sometimes bloated but always have their scales sticking outward like the symptom of dropsy but idont have any pics because the fish currently look nornal.

Have you messed with the filter media at all?

Will your LFS test the water for you?
We really need to know what all of the readings are, sorry.
If they will test it for you, make sure to ask for the exact results.

Hello, sorry but its pretty difficult to help you without enough information.

We would really need some water parameter readings if this is possible at all, either get a kit of your own, API FW liquid test kit are ok or go to your LFS and ask them to test your water for you, and be sure to ask for specific readings, don't accept 'it's fine' type of response from them.

Some more information would be good, have you cleaned your filter recently or changed substrate, any information might be fairly important.

And do try to take a pic or two of your fish that shows any symptoms.

So if you can provide some answers to the above and from others questions too, these may help us to help you with advice. 

Ch4rlie said:
Hello, sorry but its pretty difficult to help you without enough information.

We would really need some water parameter readings if this is possible at all, either get a kit of your own, API FW liquid test kit are ok or go to your LFS and ask them to test your water for you, and be sure to ask for specific readings, don't accept 'it's fine' type of response from them.

Some more information would be good, have you cleaned your filter recently or changed substrate, any information might be fairly important.

And do try to take a pic or two of your fish that shows any symptoms.

So if you can provide some answers to the above and from others questions too, these may help us to help you with advice.
Ihavent done anything to my filter or changed anything that would change the tanks parameters, i suspect the cause is 1 of the 3 new fish that i added because icouldnt quarantine them. Im unable to get my water checked until at least tomorrow night at the earliest so that makes it very difficult to diagnose .

I took a picture of my pink zebra danio, its the best i could get but it doesnt appear to have anything abnormal, all the ones that did i no longer have

This may help:

Dropsy
    Symptoms: Bloating of the body, protruding scales.
     Dropsy is caused from a bacterial infection of the kidneys, causing fluid accumulation or renal failure. The fluids in the body build up and cause the fish to bloat up and the scales to protrude. It appears to only cause trouble in weakened fish and possibly from unkempt aquarium conditions.
     An effective treatment is to add an antibiotic to the food. With flake food, use about 1% of antibiotic and carefully mix it in. If you keep the fish hungry they should eagerly eat the mixture before the antibiotic dissipates. Antibiotics usually come in 250 mg capsules. If added to 25 grams of flake food, one capsule should be enough to treat dozens of fish. A good antibiotic is chloromycetin (chloramphenicol). Or use tetracycline. If you feed your fish frozen foods or chopped foods, try to use the same ratio with mixing. As a last resort add at most 10 mg per liter of water. Also, if unkempt conditions are the suspected cause, correct it.

Scale Protrusion
    Symptoms: Protruding scales without body bloat.
     Scale protrusion is essentially a bacterial infection of the scales and/or body. A variety of bacterium could be the culprit here, as can unkempt aquarium conditions.
     An effective treatment is to add an antibiotic to the food. With flake food, use about 1% of antibiotic and carefully mix it in. If you keep the fish hungry they should eagerly eat the mixture before the antibiotic dissipates. Antibiotics usually come in 250 mg capsules. If added to 25 grams of flake food, one capsule should be enough to treat dozens of fish. A good antibiotic is chloromycetin (chloramphenicol). Or use tetracycline. If you feed your fish frozen foods or chopped foods, try to use the same ratio with mixing. As a last resort add at most 10 mg per liter of water. Also, if unkempt conditions are the suspected cause, correct it.
from http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/information/Diseases.htm

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back