My New Pond Diary May 2011

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
OHHHHHH. This is getting close now, Im seriously jealous of you. One day i will start a pond journal. Cant wait too see more updates. Keep up the great work, you must be so chuffed. :good:

Some more updates ^_^v ;

Yesterday when i came back home from work the pond had already been covered up (fearing rain last night) but another coating was added to the inside;

But today the fiberglass liner was finally finished v^.^v !!!

0107114.jpg

The guys who made it happen ^_^v (Richard Martin Holmes & Paul Harfeild);

(^ There is one other guy working on the pond project with me who will help me finish the last of the pond off)

Have you looked at virginia creeper it produces no fruit but stunning red foliage in the autumn and grows really fast, I've got it covering virtually the whole house now.

Cool thanks for the suggestion i really like the look of that plant :good: . I got the grape vine chopped down today, house looks a bit weird/bare without it, but once the pond has been completed i'm going to start work on the rest of the garden and start buying plants again so i will shop around for a new vine too :) .

OHHHHHH. This is getting close now, Im seriously jealous of you. One day i will start a pond journal. Cant wait too see more updates. Keep up the great work, you must be so chuffed. :good:

Yeah its so close now! The pond might be finished by monday or tuesday :hyper: ! Things left to do now;

1. Wash the inside of the pond.
2. Fit the filter.
2. Construct the waterfall feature & add waterfall.
3. Fill up pond.
4. Start adding plants to the pond
5. Add fish :fish: :fun: !

Wow pond looks great :hyper:

Have you got the filter+waterfall or have they still got to be bought ?

Not much to write home about today, the latest batch of supplies haven't arrived yet so all that was done today was the wooden sleepers were added to the top of the pond :) ;

0507111.jpg

Wow :drool: how much do you think it will have cost when complete?

Aout £10,000 :whistle: ...

06/07/11
The Filter & pump arrived today :) ;

The waterfall feature has been started on too (nothings screwed in place and there are a couple more things that need to arrive, but some of the wood is in its positioning on the right at the least :) );

And...

I have finally started filling the pond up :hyper: !!!!!!!
0607111.jpg

(^ Could take a few days to fill up the pond :fun: ).

Looks good :hyper:

And it's filling even better

Wooo!!! :) after all the hard work. Water is finally in. :) Cant wait too see the finished project now.

BIG UPDATE.

Sooo....

Well anyhoo from where we last left off the pond was being filled and all was going very well ^_^ .
But then it started leaking. A lot.
Turns out the gel coating on the fiberglass had been put on too thin the last 10% of the pond and so the bottom of the pond was not properly water proofed. One of the guys had cut corners :sly: . But my project leader guy (Ben) has been very awesome and sorted out the entire situation himself- over the last week or so he emptied the pond, sanded the pond down and cut out any dodgey looking area's of fiberglass. He then put down new fiberglass and new layers of coating down. He also get rid of any bubbles/lumps on the bottom of the pond.
He has also connected up the filtration & waterfall properly (MAN THAT FILTER IS STRONG :hyper: !) and so it is all now totally functional.

So now the pond is fixed and better than ever :good: . Right now i have it filled completely filled up but i'm gonna empty it and then refill it (just to ensure it is all clean inside, there's no leaks and everythings working properly etc). My camera needs its battery charging but i'll post pics on the refilling when it happens :thumbs: . So sorry about the long absense, its been a pretty mental week lol :lol: !

The problems are a shame but at least it's fixed , looking forward to pics

Atb bae :good:

Time for some pond updates :snap: !!!

03/08/11 Adding the plants, pond half full;
In a pond this large, the only way to add plants is to get right in! So straight after work i got on my bikini and jumped it- it was freezing cold :crazy: ! So here's a few pics of me smiling while freezing my butt off while putting in the plants :lol: ;

Anyhoo, pond is now totally full up and the plants are all in :- !
06081112.jpg

The waterfall feature :) ;
0608111.jpg

Plants to the side;

^ Concerning the plants at the side, i bought 2 large black plastic tubs from my LFS which are usually used for overwintering goldfish or koi in. The tubs put on their sides make cost effective pond plant shelves while taking up almost no volume space in the pond at all and they also offer the goldfish a bit of shade/hiding space too :good: .

Side view;
0608114.jpg

I have bought 4 lily plants for the pond so far (flower colours are white, pink, red & yellow) and placed 2 in the deep end and the other 2 in the shallower end. They have a lot of growing to do yet before they reach the surface, and even if they don't make it this year they should come back next year full force. Here is one of the ones in one of the corners of the deep end (it should get white flowers) :) ;

In my last garden at my last place the pond & garden had a lot of lush vibrant green plants (which gave a nice all-round year green look to the garden) but very little flowering plants. I like having colour in a garden/pond so this time i have invested more in flowering pond plants :) ;

This one in particular not only flowers but has a really nice strong sweet smell of mint :);

Some of the plants need to be raised a tad more above the surface but for now i'll leave them where they are until i get more supplies. I will buy more plants in the future for the pond but for now i'll stick with these ones and see how they go (i still have 3 massive flowering Iris plants which were given to me which i need to plant in the pond but i don't have the supplies to do so yet). Apart from the lilies and flowering plants, i have also placed random pots of oxygenating weed along the bottom (which over time should form underwater bushes providing perfect habitat for dragonfly & beetle larvae and goldfish fry too) :) ;

AND...In a few hours i'm going to get some of my goldfish over for the pond :hyper: !!!!! Due to the thousands of liters in the pond (precisely just over 16,000 liters with water level where it currently is, 45,000 liter filtration in pond too) i'm thinking about picking up 20 or so goldfish & a bag full of established pond filter muck to start the pond off with. Stay tuned ^_^v :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: .

looks great, jealouys now, wish my pond loooked like that!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back