My L260 Queen Arabesque Pleco Journal

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Carlovel1

& Oddballs
Reaction score
Well, yesterday, I finally recieved my L260s which I was waiting for over a month. There are 3 of them, all juveniles around 1" long. Enjoy! :)
P1020531.jpg

P1020530.jpg

P1020554.jpg

P1020535.jpg

P1020532.jpg

And this was this morning when they were settled
P1020543.jpg

Here is one of the 3 L260 with one of my other L333 juveniles.
P1020550.jpg

I will be updating the thread regularly with more photos.
Carl

Looking forward to keeping an eye on the journal... A nice L number :good:

James.

You lucky so and so :grr: :lol:
Its just as well I'm practical about the L260 not being compatible with the change I've made otherwise I might be reeeeeally envious :look: :lol:

They look lovely :wub: It'll be good to see how they're getting on :good:

I absolutely love L-260!! What tank do you have them in and what filtration, tankmates, feeding ETC as I am considering getting a group for 1 of my tanks but really want to make sure I do it right. Notice you have them in with other plecs, is that going to be long-term or not???

I absolutely love L-260!! What tank do you have them in and what filtration, tankmates, feeding ETC as I am considering getting a group for 1 of my tanks but really want to make sure I do it right. Notice you have them in with other plecs, is that going to be long-term or not???
:D At the moment I have 3 L260s with some L333 juves, 3 tiny Licorice Gourami and 5 Red Tiger Badis in a 40 litre tank. Seems like a lot of fish but they are all very small. They all have the same basic needs, low pH, high temp (apart from the Badis which need low temps and they will be moved to my new sub-tropical nano tank), live foods... The plecos will be there short term as they are too small for my 125L & 200L tanks where they would be killed by now. Filtration is 350LPH so just under 10X turnover. These plecos love high currents :nod:

WOW, that does sound like a lot of fish in a small tank but understand what you are saying regarding the sizes of them and that is some heavy filtration. Good turnover in the tank aswell, I heard that they like the current. Will you be adding to the bigger tanks once you have grown them on a bit then?? What is in those tanks at the minute that could do some damage to the L-Numbers??? I am looking at QA's or something similar for a 36x15x12 that I have that I want to set-up. I could keep them in a Vision 260 but I don't want them to get lost in all that water. :lol:

Well, some sad news, 1 of the L260 has died. :rip: I absolutely know the killer, a pair of Betta Imbellis (common name Peaceful Betta! :rolleyes: :shout: :angry: ) Today, I had a Rosy Loach dead, a Licorice Gourami dead and now an L260 DEAD :shout: Not had fish deaths for a few months and it was only since we added the Bettas, that I've had fish deaths. Needless to say, the Betta pair will be going

I;m sad to hear that as I;m looking forward to seeing this tank progress

I;d be surprised though if a betta killed a plec??

I;m sad to hear that as I;m looking forward to seeing this tank progress

I;d be surprised though if a betta killed a plec??
Remeber these are only babies, and in the months I've kept them, I've never lost one, and as soon as the Betta pair is added, I get a load of dead fish. With the Bettas now gone, I've had no dead fish, thankfully :X

:D At the moment I have 3 L260s with some L333 juves, 3 tiny Licorice Gourami and 5 Red Tiger Badis in a 40 litre tank. Seems like a lot of fish but they are all very small. They all have the same basic needs, low pH, high temp (apart from the Badis which need low temps and they will be moved to my new sub-tropical nano tank), live foods... The plecos will be there short term as they are too small for my 125L & 200L tanks where they would be killed by now. Filtration is 350LPH so just under 10X turnover. These plecos love high currents :nod:

Have you tested the water to see if anything else could be the culprit, going by the above that is alot of fish in such a small tank especially that many plecs no matter what the size are they produce alot of waste.

Plus they have grown, plus they are meat eaters so foods uneaten and left over food that havent been noticed will pollute water more and then adding a couple more fish like the betta's was it could have just pushed everything over the edge?.

The filtration has no relevance on the tank turnover if the media can't hold a colony of bacteria big enough to cope with the bio-load.

Also like simonas find it quite hard to believe that the addition of a couple of betta's would cause such damage, especially to plecs which are extremely quick and agile while young and expert hiders.

The reason you may not be losing more fish is due to the tank losing stock, the bacteria may be sufficient for the stock currently in there and no more. with the other fish, it may have just pushed it over the edge causing slight fluctuations in parameters and young plecs can be very sensitive to this.

Me wouldn't have had so many fish in a tank never mind so many plecs at the same time. I'm sorry to say but if was the only way of growing these fish out (cramped conditions) then i just wouldn't have brought the fish in the first place :look: .

Not meaning to sound harsh but it does sound like you may have caused this issue yourself and the poor fish suffered because of it :unsure:

Have you tested the water to see if anything else could be the culprit, going by the above that is alot of fish in such a small tank especially that many plecs no matter what the size are they produce alot of waste.

Plus they have grown, plus they are meat eaters so foods uneaten and left over food that havent been noticed will pollute water more and then adding a couple more fish like the betta's was it could have just pushed everything over the edge?.

The filtration has no relevance on the tank turnover if the media can't hold a colony of bacteria big enough to cope with the bio-load.

Also like simonas find it quite hard to believe that the addition of a couple of betta's would cause such damage, especially to plecs which are extremely quick and agile while young and expert hiders.

The reason you may not be losing more fish is due to the tank losing stock, the bacteria may be sufficient for the stock currently in there and no more. with the other fish, it may have just pushed it over the edge causing slight fluctuations in parameters and young plecs can be very sensitive to this.

Me wouldn't have had so many fish in a tank never mind so many plecs at the same time. I'm sorry to say but if was the only way of growing these fish out (cramped conditions) then i just wouldn't have brought the fish in the first place :look: .

Not meaning to sound harsh but it does sound like you may have caused this issue yourself and the poor fish suffered because of it :unsure:
It may have been my fault for not updating the thread. The plecos have moved to my 50 litre. Tankmates are only 3 Licorice Gourami and 5 Rosy Loaches . Nothing to do with water, Ammonia and nitrite are both 0. It was definately the Bettas (stop doubting me lol) though, they immediately started harassing the Licorice Gouramis and the Rosy Loaches. The plec probably died during the night, his body was very pale :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back