My L260 Queen Arabesque Pleco Journal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It may have been my fault for not updating the thread. The plecos have moved to my 50 litre. Tankmates are only 3 Licorice Gourami and 5 Rosy Loaches . Nothing to do with water, Ammonia and nitrite are both 0. It was definately the Bettas (stop doubting me lol) though, they immediately started harassing the Licorice Gouramis and the Rosy Loaches. The plec probably died during the night, his body was very pale :(

Honestly mate it has nothing to do with doubting you, my reply wasn't meant to be a personal attack just more of an awakening from somebody that has bred and kept plecs for a fair old time now lol. I know exactly what sort of waste they produce (young and old) and i know that any slight parameter sway can have severe consequences to individual plec's.

You have moved them?, all the plecs and the other fish or just the 260's?, even still a 50 litre tank is to small, giving that extra 10litres is what?.. an inch on tank size?.

Can i also ask why you added fish that are far from suited to the plec conditions?, the may tolerate the temps but they certainly ain't gonna like the flow that you said the plecs had, 10x turnover was it?.... again it's a purchase of fish that had no ideal home waiting to suit, so was mixed with fish already in an overstocked tank and with conditions that are far from ideal?

You may well be correct with the cause but the determine factor is still they were kept with to many fish in cramped conditions, possible sways in parameters can happen without you knowing, be slightly up one day normal the next and if your not testing everyday then this is impossible to tell untill usually you find either a problem with the fish or an unexplained death.

Again not a personal attack and not meant to be harsh but as ive said in my last post, the fish if you didn't have sufficient space to grow out shouldn't have been purchased, weather you think or thought they would be ok is irrelevant.... you yourself in a post a while back commented on it seems to be alot of fish, so knowing this yourself should have been enough to think i should consider either getting rid of some fish to compensate or arranged for better accommodation.

Easy said than done sometimes finding tank space but this then leads to what ive said about fish purchases shouldn't happen unless conditions (ideally) can be met.

You also mentioned you were getting a few 134's not so long ago and would receive just after Christmas?, these i presume would have also been added to the tank as these were small aswell and as you've mentioned so would have been killed in the larger tanks.... i hope this actually isn't the case and you will not be purchasing unless you can find a suitable home.

Anyways the fish in the pics are stunning, nothing will take that away unless more deaths occur and i have my fingers crossed for the fish that nothing does :good:.

Again sorry if this sounds harsh and trust me doubt isn't why i posted, observations from your comments and stocking is enough to possibly consider other reasons for the poor fishes deaths.

FishyJake can I request you reply to me via PM

You have moved them?, all the plecs and the other fish or just the 260's?, even still a 50 litre tank is to small, giving that extra 10litres is what?.. an inch on tank size?.
Yes, the new tank is 20% bigger than the old one. Inhabitants are (again :rolleyes: ) 3 Licorice Gourami, 5 Rosy Loaches and 3 L260 babies. Now I'm going to have to disagree with you when you say the tank is too small because A) The plecos will be in the 40 and 50 litre tanks temporarily and B) the plecos are exactly 1.5" in length (inc. tail) and I find quite shocking you find the 50 litre tank too small for 3 1.5" fishes (which are not very active btw). I plan to keep them in the tank until they get upto just over 2" in length.

So tell me, what tank size/capacity do you recommend for 3 1.5" fishes?

Can i also ask why you added fish that are far from suited to the plec conditions?, the may tolerate the temps but they certainly ain't gonna like the flow that you said the plecs had, 10x turnover was it?.... again it's a purchase of fish that had no ideal home waiting to suit, so was mixed with fish already in an overstocked tank and with conditions that are far from ideal?
I presume you are talking about the Badis. They were going to go in my sub-tropical tank, but due to a co2 leak in that tank, they were moved to this one. So...they did have an ideal home..sort of :X :look: . Once that issue was cleared up, the Badis moved to the new tank. And I don't know if you know this but...Badis are found in fast flowing waters so the 10X turnover wasn't a problem for them.

Again not a personal attack and not meant to be harsh but as ive said in my last post, the fish if you didn't have sufficient space to grow out shouldn't have been purchased, weather you think or thought they would be ok is irrelevant.... you yourself in a post a while back commented on it seems to be alot of fish, so knowing this yourself should have been enough to think i should consider either getting rid of some fish to compensate or arranged for better accommodation.

I would have agreed with you but fortunately, the fish in there could be classed as 'nano fish' (which means very small fish suitable for small tanks) and all stay very small. Once again, I could find nothing that suggested the tank was overstocked.

You also mentioned you were getting a few 134's not so long ago and would receive just after Christmas?, these i presume would have also been added to the tank as these were small aswell and as you've mentioned so would have been killed in the larger tanks.... i hope this actually isn't the case and you will not be purchasing unless you can find a suitable home.
I said I would be receiving them around end of January. Due to bad weather, they have been postponed until later this week. But I will be adding them to either the 40 litre or 50 litre. The seller has since told me these around the 2" mark so I may introduce them to the 125 litre straight away...if I see it viable

Again sorry if this sounds harsh and trust me doubt isn't why i posted, observations from your comments and stocking is enough to possibly consider other reasons for the poor fishes deaths.
I still find it harsh mate, even if you say otherwise. You may know a lot about plecos but there is no need to be...assertive (is this the right word?) with your opinions, especially since you have based some of the points in your posts with assumptions. Apologies if I am sounding brutal but I'm just saying things as I think they are.

Carl

Here is a long overdue update on the plecos, photos taken 5 mins ago :D
P1030505.jpg

Swimming around
P1030507.jpg

P1030552.jpg

FishyJake can I request you reply to me via PM

Afraid not mate, you have given such damming comments on the forum and i will give my answers also on the forum, sorry!!!
Yes, the new tank is 20% bigger than the old one. Inhabitants are (again :rolleyes: ) 3 Licorice Gourami, 5 Rosy Loaches and 3 L260 babies. Now I'm going to have to disagree with you when you say the tank is too small because A) The plecos will be in the 40 and 50 litre tanks temporarily and B) the plecos are exactly 1.5" in length (inc. tail) and I find quite shocking you find the 50 litre tank too small for 3 1.5" fishes (which are not very active btw). I plan to keep them in the tank until they get upto just over 2" in length.

So tell me, what tank size/capacity do you recommend for 3 1.5" fishes?

Right firstly congrats you can do maths :rolleyes: , what i actually put was a question, hence the ? mark lol... i was asking if the tank was a inch bigger lol.... 20% in regards to a 200 ltre tank is a lot of potential space and water, im sorry but 20% of 40 litre tank isn't lol.... so throw figures as much as you what but no matter how you try and glorify it, it's still just a mere 10litres of water.

What i also asked by another question mark was.. if you added all the fish over... plecs including the 333/66? you have. You've answered that question now and yes your correct temporarily the tank is 'fine' for the fish you currently have.

So please read what ive asked instead of jumping in.

I presume you are talking about the Badis. They were going to go in my sub-tropical tank, but due to a co2 leak in that tank, they were moved to this one. So...they did have an ideal home..sort of :X :look: . Once that issue was cleared up, the Badis moved to the new tank. And I don't know if you know this but...Badis are found in fast flowing waters so the 10X turnover wasn't a problem for them.

No i was talking about the betta's which is what has caused all this problem in the first place ' apparently?'

I have no idea what badis are never mind knowing what conditions they are suited to lol.

So something else you also got wrong and jumped at, again try reading and you may actually reply with something that has relevance, eh?

I would have agreed with you but fortunately, the fish in there could be classed as 'nano fish' (which means very small fish suitable for small tanks) and all stay very small. Once again, I could find nothing that suggested the tank was overstocked.

There is no such thing as a nano fish, it's a label people put to make it sound like this fish 'wouldn't' like a bigger tank.... do they come from nano lakes, nano rivers?... im presuming not, but in all honestly a bigger tank would be probably better even though a nano would suit to a certain degree.

The tank initially was very over stocked.... what was it 6-7 plecs badis and gouramis in a 40l tank... that's not overstocked?, like i mentioned i know how much waste from alot of experience small plecs can produce, they also require regular feeding to keep them thriving at such a small age..... all adds to bio-load.... so that on top of all them plecs with them other fish.... yes i would say overstocked lol.

I said I would be receiving them around end of January. Due to bad weather, they have been postponed until later this week. But I will be adding them to either the 40 litre or 50 litre. The seller has since told me these around the 2" mark so I may introduce them to the 125 litre straight away...if I see it viable

So they would have also gone into the tank with the other plecs?, making it yet another overstocked tank with 6-7 plecs in, yes?.....

Can i ask what is actually in the larger tanks that could cause such a high risk to these plecs?.

I still find it harsh mate, even if you say otherwise. You may know a lot about plecos but there is no need to be...assertive (is this the right word?) with your opinions, especially since you have based some of the points in your posts with assumptions. Apologies if I am sounding brutal but I'm just saying things as I think they are.

Carl

I'm not aware i posted anything on assumptions, i posted with the info that i saw within this thread, i never made up anything just merely asked questions and gave opinions on the facts that were in front of me.

As i said i never meant it to be harsh and i also wasn't assertive with my comments. I gave advice while also asking questions to parts that i didn't know the answers to... see my above post for more info.

Sound as brutal as you like, from your last post i have nothing more to add to this thread or any other threads of yours, everytime i try and help you im either contradicted 'wrongly' or get an ear bashing for trying to help lol... just not really worth it tbh..... i will however say good luck with the fish and truly hope no more deaths occur :good:

Here is a long overdue update on the plecos, photos taken 5 mins ago :D
P1030505.jpg

Swimming around
P1030507.jpg

P1030552.jpg

As ive already commented, stunning fish and nice pics, certainly are one of the most stunning species about.

over and out and again good luck with them :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back