Amazing Otocinclus

plebian

Fish Crazy
Joined
Oct 7, 2022
Messages
314
Reaction score
296
Points
63
Location
Southeast Asia
I have had an algae problem for many years. The primary culprit is brown algae, though I have had occasional (minor) bouts with black algae, green dust algae and blue-green "algae". It's defeated every attempt I've had to add plants, because it begins covering leaves as fast as the plants can put out new growth.

Aside from multiple attempts at regular manual removal and chemical removal, I also kept Bristlenose because of their reputation for eating algae. I've kept 3 different individuals, each raised from young juveniles, over the years and never once observed them eating any algae whatsoever, regardless of algae type. I also made an attempt to introduce Otocinclus, but none of them survived my QT even though it was full of both green and brown algae.

I decided to take one more shot, and it seems I've finally struck gold. I purchased eight of them and watched them thoroughly clean my QT. Once transferred them to the aquarium I was simply stunned at how efficient they were at consuming algae (mostly brown). First they cleaned the plants, then the substrate, then the glass. My aquarium is 9 feet long, so that's a lot of surface area. Simply amazing.

The one thing that's a bit surprising is that they ignore the driftwood completely. That's not a problem for me as I don't really care about algae on the driftwood, but it's contrary to numerous reports suggesting driftwood biofilm is not just food source, but necessary to their health. That doesn't seem to be the case, as all 8 of the Otos appear healthy and active and are sporting surprisingly striking coloration.
 
That's great! But then when the algae they'll eat is gone you need to find a new food source for them. I recommend trying Repashy Soilent Green. It's an auf wuchs replacement gel food. I haven't used it with otos but some of my hillstream loaches, etc. do like it.
 
That's great! But then when the algae they'll eat is gone you need to find a new food source for them. I recommend trying Repashy Soilent Green. It's an auf wuchs replacement gel food. I haven't used it with otos but some of my hillstream loaches, etc. do like it.
Initially, I was concerned about running out of algae, but it seems to reproduce fast enough to keep the Otos fat and happy. Repashy is not available where I live, but I have tried cucumber, algae wafers and kale chips (for fish) just in case. The Otos ignore all of the above.
 
Place a few larger pebbles in a bowl filled with fertilised aquarium water in a sunny spot. You can swap the pebbles between the aquarium and the bowl to ensure that the Otos always have fresh algae to eat.
 
Place a few larger pebbles in a bowl filled with fertilised aquarium water in a sunny spot. You can swap the pebbles between the aquarium and the bowl to ensure that the Otos always have fresh algae to eat.
Yeah, I have a lot of large flat stones in my garden that would fit this role perfectly. That's my go to if I should need it. I actually used to have one section of the aquarium more or less covered with them but tired of their appearance.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top