my canister is full of air

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RinaLane

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I had to clean my canister filter SunSun & after that it started to get tons of air in it. It looks like in comes in intake tube & goes through filter & comes out with an awful noise. Making tons of bubbles in my aquarium. But I checked tube there is no any holes at all otherwise they would leak I'm assuming. I cant understand how air gets everywhere...
I took filter apart few times started it full with water & empty. Sometimes its working just fine for a week or so & then again air issue happens. And its so loud, constant air coughing.
How can I fix it?

Check the area around the intake hose of the filter. If you have air bubbles in the tank (from an airstone or something else), they could be getting picked up by the filter and sucked in. You can try putting a round filter sponge over the intake strainer.

The rubber seal between the filter case and motor can sometimes leak if not seated perfectly and a small amount of air can get sucked into the filter. Hoses can leak where they join intake or return pipes.

You can smear a small amount of Vaseline on the rubber seal (o-ring) between the pump and case and that can help.

Make sure the filter outlet is at the opposite end of the tank or just under the surface of the water to reduce the air bubbles it creates. Or have the outlet blowing away from the intake tube.

If you post a picture of the tank we might be able to offer more advice. :)

my husband figure it out for me the intake pipe was too close to the ground & that somehow made tons of bubbles when water went into filter. i cant understand it. but now my intake is few inches of the ground & no bubles

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back