Today I learned two things!

FattyFish

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Joined
Jul 14, 2026
Messages
145
Reaction score
241
Points
43
Location
Durham UK
Today I learned two things.

Lesson 1. Ember Tetras are hard as nails!
During my water change, I cleaned out my Fluval 307 external filter and found 4 Ember tetras inside the filter canister! Now, bear in mind there is no actual swimming space inside these filters; I found the fish squashed flat against the lift-out flat sponge sections stuck against the plastic sides. Unbelievably, all 4 were still alive. I quickly managed to dump them into one of the breeder tanks. They started swimming and were feeding again within the hour. I will leave them in the breeder tank for a week or so just to keep an eye on them.

Lesson 2. I'm an idiot!
Every time I clean the above filter out, I always think I should look for a better solution for the intake strainer. The Fluval 307 has a rigid plastic strainer, but the gaps are still quite big. From the start, I had made a black sponge "mock-up" held on with a cable tie, but it's not perfect and is difficult to put on and off due to the tank being 24 inches deep and full of plants and wood that comes out the top of the tank. I did check on the Fluval site a while back to see if they sold a sponge strainer that could be pushed over the original strainer as an add-on, but couldn't find anything.

Can anyone recommend a slip-over strainer that would fit the Fluval 307 External Canister Filter? I forgot to mention. My filter is plumbed through the base glass of the tank, so a normal pipe-end strainer does not fit!
 
Last edited:
I don't know of any parts that would fit sadly. You'll probably have better chances of finding something that is DIY. Check Etsy, there are loads of 3D printer aquarium hobbyists on there.

Have a look at shrimp-proof ones as well, usually they are metal mesh ones.
 
Could you please take a pic of your set up?
 
@FattyFish Someone at my local shop told me Ember Tetras are good in hard water? I was considering getting a few to go with the Guppies I have decided on. What do you think?
 
@FattyFish Someone at my local shop told me Ember Tetras are good in hard water? I was considering getting a few to go with the Guppies I have decided on. What do you think?
Hi, I am not sure about hard water. I believe the ideal range is around 20-160ppm / 1-10dgh. I measure in ppm, and my tank sits around 140ppm. I have around 25 assorted guppies, 17 embers, and a load of other fish. I hope this helps.
 
I don't know of any parts that would fit sadly. You'll probably have better chances of finding something that is DIY. Check Etsy, there are loads of 3D printer aquarium hobbyists on there.

Have a look at shrimp-proof ones as well, usually they are metal mesh ones.
Good shout, thanks. I never thought of Etsy. :D
 
Pic of where you’d like to put intake screen/ filter.
 
Could you please take a pic of your set up?
This is the sales brochure image.
Screenshot 2026-08-02 at 12.47.05.webp

And below is my setup. Not easy to see, as I have wrapped some black filter sponge around it with an elastic band wich is quite difficult to do one-handed in a deep tank :lol: , which is why I'm looking for a better/easier solution.
IMG_1634.webp
 

Most reactions

Back
Top