Today I learned two things!

Sorry, the holes in these are too small.
There is one I use in my 75g with a Fluval Cannister. Fits nicely. Can't remember the name of it but it looks similar to the HydroSponge Filters. I will see if I can find the source.
 
There is one I use in my 75g with a Fluval Cannister. Fits nicely. Can't remember the name of it but it looks similar to the HydroSponge Filters. I will see if I can find the source.
That didn't take long. Here it is:
 
I use those with all my larger AC HOBs (110, 70, 50). Love them and one can make the sponge be horizontal if desired/needed.
IMG_2076.webpIMG_5711.webpIMG_7878.webp

IMG_1060.webpIMG_2065.webpIMG_1495.webp
 
Would getting a few shrimp nets off amazon and sewing them together to sort of custom fit work??
 
@FattyFish My canister came with this monstrosity of an intake.
20260126_163129.webp

It's probably big enough to suck up a small child. So I purchased a large sponge prefilter from Aquarium Coop. It comes in 3 sizes, you'll probably want the medium or large. I got the large. I swish it in a bucket of tank water every 2 weeks. It's got a large enough pore size that it doesn't clog up and it doesn't restrict flow.
20260809_200400.webp
 
Last edited:
@FattyFish My canister came with this monstrosity of an intake.
View attachment 384848
It's probably big enough to suck up a small child. So I purchased a large sponge prefilter from Aquarium Coop. It comes in 4 sizes, you'll probably want the medium or large. I got the large. I swish it in a bucket of tank water every 2 weeks. It's got a large enough pore size that it doesn't clog up and it doesn't restrict flow.
View attachment 384849
I use various pores sizes depending upon what is in a tank. Smaller for anything with fry or shrimp. Yes, the smaller size needs to be cleaned more often but, the cannister filters rarely have to be cleaned at all.
 
@FattyFish My canister came with this monstrosity of an intake.
View attachment 384848
It's probably big enough to suck up a small child. So I purchased a large sponge prefilter from Aquarium Coop. It comes in 3 sizes, you'll probably want the medium or large. I got the large. I swish it in a bucket of tank water every 2 weeks. It's got a large enough pore size that it doesn't clog up and it doesn't restrict flow.
View attachment 384849
The difference between a regular Fluval 307 and mine is that the aquarium has been drilled and all of the filter pipework goes through these instead of the normal pipes. I currently have a sponge like yours wrapped around the intake with an elastic band, but it's awkward to get on and off with one hand for cleaning, as it's located in the back corner and the tank is 24inches deep. Just to give you an example...my intake pipe has a 30 mm diameter as opposed to the regular pipework, which is half this.
I am looking at potentially getting a filter sponge block and using my laser cutter to cut the hole large enough to simply push on. I will update as I get things sorted. 👍
 
I have been using the ATI pre-filters for decades. They come with and assortment of fiiting to make it easy to adapt the intake part to a variety of pipe sizes, I have used them on Auqackearsm canisters and even powerhaeds, I also make a lot of the prefilters myself. You do not need to bake a hole,

I start with a small rectangular block of foam. I then us a scissors to cut an X most of the way through that block and this allows me to push the intake pipe into the block. It also makes it easy for the block to stay on e ht pipe. Mect I prune the rectangular bloc into a more cylindrical shape. See pic below for an example. That intake foam was cut from the foam block used in an AquaClear 110.
i-s8Vf4Kf-M.jpg


Also you can see a picture with all the ATI pre-filter adapter parts so they can fit a variety of pipes
https://www.aquariumtechnologyinc.com/store/p23/Filter_Max_Replacement_Parts.html#/
 
Finally sorted with the filter strainer.
Firstly, thanks to everyone who made recommendations; unfortunately, none of them fit due to the difference between a standard Fluval 307 that has a standard intake and output pipe and a Fluval Shaker 307 that has a bottom-drilled intake and outlet pipe.
So after continued searching, I found a pond filter sponge block on Amazon. The advert didn't mention the hole size, but fortunately for me, the last review about the product from just a couple of weeks ago actually stated it fit his Fluval Shaker 307 Filter inlet. I couldn't believe it. So I ordered one and awaited delivery of the "Holy Grail".
Unfortunately, the postman delivered it when I was out, and the dogs, for some random reason, took it upon themselves to shred my post and the long-awaited sponge, although my son caught them just in time and I was left with a few pieces to stick back on.

1. Sponge with dog bites
IMG_1646.webp

2. Repaired sponge showing 45mm hole
IMG_1647.webp


3. Fluval Shaker 307 inlet filter strainer in the aquarium
IMG_1648.webp

4. New sponge installed
IMG_1649.webp


5. Sorted
IMG_1650.webp
 

Most reactions

Back
Top