A Fin tastic Journey

BanjoFish

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jan 7, 2026
Messages
268
Reaction score
220
Points
43
Location
Bedford UK
Hi folks I just wanted to take the opportunity to share my fishy journey with you all.

Growing up we were a dog and cat family.

I then went on to own dogs and cats. After these and after extensive researching for two solid weeks I became a hamster owner.

My partner and I now live in a 2nd floor flat which limited us to which pets plus with both in our 50s there's the excercising and emotional side of things to consider.

Bearded Dragons were considered but were passed due to how strict a local reptile shop were.

Rats were a no go as my partner doesn't like them.

Which brings us to fish.

Which size fish tank, which fish, compatability, number of fish, which plants, substrate etc.

So yet more research, more youtube, I fiund this group and learned a lot.

A few unfortunate false starts were made too.

However now?

The fishtank

Superfish Start 70 60L

The Filters

Eheim 160 pickup with sponge cut in 1/2, topped up with Matrix and filter wool on top.

Aquaflow 100 filter with carbon removed and replaced with Matrix.

Substrate

Fluval Bio

The Plants

Hygrophila Diformis
Amazon sword
E Harbich. x 1
Hygrophila Polysperma. x1
Java Fern x 3
Valisneria gigantea rubra x 3
Christmas Moss

The Fish

Male and female Honey Gourami

( George and Mildred)

10 Ember Tetras

12 Pygmy Corydoras

12 Amano Shrimp

The Water

RO Water mixed with Saltyshrimp bee.

Todays Parameters

Ammonia Nitrites. 0
Nitrates 10
KH. 1
PH. 6
GH. 7

I use NTLabs

So there you have it. A journey so far for someone whom had never kept nor considered fish as a hobby.

My age which I feel is relevant at this point is 53.

Apologies for such a long post too.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0366.webp
    IMG_0366.webp
    15.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0402.webp
    IMG_0402.webp
    84.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0222.webp
    IMG_0222.webp
    91.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0371.webp
    IMG_0371.webp
    100.9 KB · Views: 51
No apologies called for. The journey each of us takes to get here is interesting, at least to me.

I was talking with a gentleman last evening at our fish club. He loves his tanks, and has a good set up. He was adopted as a baby, and his family always thought his fish interest was eccentric, as it went back to his childhood. As an adult, he learned about his birth mother, and found out she had been an avid aquarist. He doesn't know if that was pure coincidence or genetics, but it's a thought.

I've learned a great grandfather bred goldfish for sale, as extra cash in the 1920s. My grandfather kept and bred Bettas, and did an aquarium maintenance sideline for a bit long before I was born. A grandmother kept white clouds, and my mother was an aquarist. I started when I was 8.

But, as they say, it's not when you fell in love, but what you make of the relationship that matters. 53 is a good age to start!
 
Hi folks I just wanted to take the opportunity to share my fishy journey with you all.

Growing up we were a dog and cat family.

I then went on to own dogs and cats. After these and after extensive researching for two solid weeks I became a hamster owner.

My partner and I now live in a 2nd floor flat which limited us to which pets plus with both in our 50s there's the excercising and emotional side of things to consider.

Bearded Dragons were considered but were passed due to how strict a local reptile shop were.

Rats were a no go as my partner doesn't like them.

Which brings us to fish.

Which size fish tank, which fish, compatability, number of fish, which plants, substrate etc.

So yet more research, more youtube, I fiund this group and learned a lot.

A few unfortunate false starts were made too.

However now?

The fishtank

Superfish Start 70 60L

The Filters

Eheim 160 pickup with sponge cut in 1/2, topped up with Matrix and filter wool on top.

Aquaflow 100 filter with carbon removed and replaced with Matrix.

Substrate

Fluval Bio

The Plants

Hygrophila Diformis
Amazon sword
E Harbich. x 1
Hygrophila Polysperma. x1
Java Fern x 3
Valisneria gigantea rubra x 3
Christmas Moss

The Fish

Male and female Honey Gourami

( George and Mildred)

10 Ember Tetras

12 Pygmy Corydoras

12 Amano Shrimp

The Water

RO Water mixed with Saltyshrimp bee.

Todays Parameters

Ammonia Nitrites. 0
Nitrates 10
KH. 1
PH. 6
GH. 7

I use NTLabs

So there you have it. A journey so far for someone whom had never kept nor considered fish as a hobby.

My age which I feel is relevant at this point is 53.

Apologies for such a long post too.
I started the hobby when I was 2 months shy of my 70th birthday.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top