Motoro Stingray Journal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I had tinfoils in with mine, had 8 of them, they were about 10inch long each. They do eat alot but once the food went below mid point in the tank they tended to leave it so the rays got more than their fair share.

Shame about the gars not working out, tried gars once with mine but they were only about 5inch and got filleted by my ray within a few weeks.

I have one of these in with mine : http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/cotm.php?article_id=331 Mine went from about 4inch to at least 15 inch in what seemed like a few months.

You thought about trying arowanas? Either splash the cash a little and get a RTG or get a black aro, fairly rare for issues with them being mixed.
What does work well is Hydrolicus species (not sure on spelling) but vampire fish. I tried with a scomb but struggled to get it feeding on anything dead but once they;'re feeding they do really well.
Hydrocynus Vittatus is something i want to try, lovely fish just need to find one at a decent price.

all of the mentioned fish are currently available at wharf so ill be sure to check them out :good:

here are a few updated pics of the rays as ive not put any on here for a while. ive taken out the wood so they have more floor space as they are about 6 inches now.
female
IMAG0277.jpg

IMAG0280.jpg

IMAG0282.jpg

male and female together
IMAG0278.jpg

IMAG0281.jpg

I had more issues with my Royal whiptails sucking reedfish and discus than I did usual plecs

My tanks the same nothing at the top of the tank, think my gars coming this week

yeah ive gone off the idea of whiptails anyway tbh its just not worth the risk. i hope you get your gar simon :)

just a quick fts of how ive changed it. even the rocks are colour coded to match the room :blush: very feng shui :lol: the male ray is a bit camera shy tonight :sad:
IMAG0294.jpg

Blimey! It's bare!! ;)

What about floating wood? :unsure:
bare is the new full..... :lol:

i think im gonna just keep it like that for now. i have my angel tank to look at for a pretty tank :hey:

although on friday there may be a few angels of some king swimming about in here ;)

i used to have bog wood etc in mine but took it out as i thought it loked better empty.

I sold my MM a wile back so just have what i think is a stunted ray
P3294397.jpg

P3294398.jpg

My MM grew big and fast this one is a x between henlei and mantilla so should grow quite large id expect but its still not massive. Patterns coming out good though.
On the upside means theres more floor space.

he is lovely though.

i found my first sting today :unsure:

does any one have any idea how long they stay poisonous?

he is lovely though.

I've still got mine in a box :) Some people say they're fine as they shouldn't have any venom in it once its come off the ray, although i didnt fancy the risk as it was very sharp so i boiled mine in a pan for bit.Think the one i have is about 2.5 - 3inch

he is lovely though.

I've still got mine in a box :) Some people say they're fine as they shouldn't have any venom in it once its come off the ray, although i didnt fancy the risk as it was very sharp so i boiled mine in a pan for bit.Think the one i have is about 2.5 - 3inch
I've read that they stay venomous for quite a while. I'm gonna keep mine that I find as a souvenir. Maybe make a crocodile dundee necklace from them....... LOL

here is a pic of the stinger i found. i have no idea if its the first to come off but its the first ive seen in my tank. its on my phone case to give a rough size of it.
IMAG0314.jpg

he is lovely though.

I've read that they stay venomous for quite a while. I'm gonna keep mine that I find as a souvenir. Maybe make a crocodile dundee necklace from them....... LOL
Nah they won't, the actual cartlidge doesn't hold venom. If the barb has skin on it or any slime then it will likely have some venom on it but if it's clean (totally white) then it is likely to be safe. Boiling it is recommended as it breaks down the protien in the venom and completely cleans the barb.

I kept mine, when i get around to it i will stick it in a glass frame, I found mine really hard to photograph in detail as the barb looks really cool with the serrated edges, here's the topic from when i got mine : http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/351193-stingray-shed-its-barb/page__p__2926287__fromsearch__1#entry2926287

Most reactions

trending

Back