Molly Tropical Fish Fungus?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jennibeare

Reaction score
One of my balloon mollies seems to have a fungus, at least I am pretty sure that's what it is. She's the only one in the tank with it. I have treated it with malachite green and a bit of aquarium salt. My question is, firstly, does it seem I have made the right diagnosis, and secondly, how do you know when it's cured?
The tank is 55 litre, and relatively new (only a few months old). The only other fish are mollies,2 bristle nose catfish, and 2 corydoras. All but the cory's were bought for this tank, and the infected fish was one of my most recent acquisitions. 

Attachments

• IMG_3738.jpg
    IMG_3738.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 374
Yes, that is fungus, and it seems to be due to some sort of lesion in the fish.  Fungus like this attacks open wounds and such.  Is this molly in a separate hospital tank, or still in with the other fish?

I have successfully dealt with fungus of this type with malachite green, but not in the tank water as this is not good for some fish, including corys.  Net the molly, and hold  it at the surface in the net with the fungus facing up.  Dip a cotton swab into the malachite green and get it thoroughly soaked, then raise the net to lift the fungus just out of the water and dab it with the malachite green so it is stained very dark green.  I usually do this two or three times with a minute break between--don't release the fish, keep it in the net just in the water between dabbing the fungus.  Then release it.  The fungus will be killed, but of course the initial problem will likely not be affected, depending what it is.  I would want to isolate this fish if you can, as additional action will likely be required.

Byron.

thanks, ive done as you suggested. Ill let you know how it goes!
:)

just letting you know, she died! think it was just a bit much stress for her. thanks anyway! 

jennibeare said:
just letting you know, she died! think it was just a bit much stress for her. thanks anyway! 

This isn't really a surprise.  From the photo there appears to have been some sort of opening in the fish just behind the front, which may have been some sort of ulcer, damage, whatever.  The fungus was secondary as I mentioned, but the initial issue may likely have been the real problem leading to death.

Byron.

yes, i didnt really hold out much hope! but i do appreciate the advice! i dont seem to have a lot of luck with my fish. :(

I will just mention something else, and that is that "balloon" mollies, like all balloon species, have a man-made deformation of the spine to produce this condition.  Many of us do not agree with this practice.  Articles in PFK have also condemned it, and the only way to stop it is not to buy such fish.  These balloon fish frequently develop various other health issues, undoubtedly related, and have difficulty swimming.  They are known to have a shorter lifespan, so there is no doubt but that this deliberate condition affects them.  I can't say how (or if) the individual fish "feel," but I can surmise how they might.

With all the beauty and splendour of the variety in fish species and the natural world, there is no need to be creating frankenfish.

I only mention this because of the health issues arising.  And as a general observation in the interests of the hobby.

Byron.

I will just mention something else, and that is that "balloon" mollies, like all balloon species, have a man-made deformation of the spine to produce this condition
I agree, Breeding fish with deforanties like that is cruel and we as fish keepers can stop it by not buying those fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back