Male Betta In 10 Gallon With Dwarf Rasboras?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

sharkydog

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Considering the tank would be heavily planted and the betta is tolerant of other fish(I am just trying to spread my options to some fish I think I would like, pygmy cory is already my 'back up' for tank mates if I don't find something I like more), could maybe 8 dwarf rasboras do well with a betta?

You should stick to Tetras and Cory catfish if you insist on having the male betta fish. Males are hard to have with other fish unless you displace the aggression perfectly. Tetras are a great choice because of their speed and such. Other than that.. your just testing waters and I've done some of that and always had fish die.. Bettas get worked up so easily and die from anxiety so easily.. I would get some gouramis personally because there is a huge variety on types and they are pretty cool ... imo. The cory catfish will for sure work though because they are catfish and bottom feeders and fish tend to leave them alone (most fish!). Hopefully you can figure it out though. Let me know on your next thoughts

neutron20 said:
You should stick to Tetras and Cory catfish if you insist on having the male betta fish. Males are hard to have with other fish unless you displace the aggression perfectly. Tetras are a great choice because of their speed and such. Other than that.. your just testing waters and I've done some of that and always had fish die.. Bettas get worked up so easily and die from anxiety so easily.. I would get some gouramis personally because there is a huge variety on types and they are pretty cool ... imo. The cory catfish will for sure work though because they are catfish and bottom feeders and fish tend to leave them alone (most fish!). Hopefully you can figure it out though. Let me know on your next thoughts

Gouramis....No. Bettas and Gouramis both inhibit the same area of water and in almost every tank I have seen a Betta and Gourami in together, it has ended in one or the other becoming either seriously injured or dead.

Tetras....To my knowledge, there are no Tetras that are suitable for a 10 gallon. All of them require a tank 15+ gallons.

To be honest, I'm not sure about the Dwarf Rasporas, I think they're better kept to a species only tank. Some websites do say they would be okay with a Betta but TBH I wouldn't do it. Just because with a Betta, you wouldn't be able to have as big as a school as they would like. 
It could work but its up to you really. I'd personally go for the Pygmy Corys instead but its your tank not mine
smile.png

Okay thanks! :) I definitely have not made a final decision, and I am learning more and more about what can actually go into a 10 gal with a betta... And at the rate I have been asking questions since I joined I'll be asking 50 million more (whatever I can think of, apparently) before I decide. Just kidding about the 50 million questions, by the way, lol. ^-^

Anyways, thanks again! Gosh, everyone here is so freaking nice and helpful!!

I read what Neutron said as get a gourami instead of the betta, but if I'm wrong then definitely don't do both, they will fight.

I had a betta in a tank with a shoal of chilli rasboras at one point, no real problems. Chilli rasbos, Celestial Pearl Danios, any of the microdevario species would work.

the_lock_man said:
I read what Neutron said as get a gourami instead of the betta, but if I'm wrong then definitely don't do both, they will fight.

I had a betta in a tank with a shoal of chilli rasboras at one point, no real problems. Chilli rasbos, Celestial Pearl Danios, any of the microdevario species would work.
Okay! I was told on another thread that CPD would be a bad choice... But anyways, I am going to look into chilli rasboras as I do not know much about them.
Oh, also I should probably point out that I am just not interested in getting Gourami's anyways at this point despite that they are beautiful fish. I just want to try to make a good tank for my betta to co-exist with other peaceful fish for right now. :)

Yes. I said Gourami instead of Betta.

In my opinion the Gourami is a much easier fish to keep and will give much more personality to watch. My Gouramis are constantly bickering and chasing each other around and I could watch it for hours. It's like an old married couple of 30 years.. minus the "I hate you" part of it haha

neutron20 said:
Yes. I said Gourami instead of Betta.

In my opinion the Gourami is a much easier fish to keep and will give much more personality to watch. My Gouramis are constantly bickering and chasing each other around and I could watch it for hours. It's like an old married couple of 30 years.. minus the "I hate you" part of it haha
I'm not sure. I've kept both and I prefer my betta over the Gouramis. Much much more personality. They actually have and show their feelings. Normally everymorning I wake up to happy betta thats swimming around in his tank peacefully, that is until I move.. Then he notices and  shoots the the front of the glass and sits there for a second saying "good morning" then he goes wild until I feed him. Which normally consists of him jumping at my finger with some food on it. Then when I'm all done feeding him He stares up at me angrily blowing bubbles. He is a funny little fish.. He does laps when he gets bored lol He will swim from the filter up-lift tube to the heater, go behind the heater inbetween the suction cups, then turn around and swim behind the heater and underneath the bottom suction cub and all the way back to the filter tube. I've watched him do that for 15 minutes at a time lol 

Blondielovesfish said:

You should stick to Tetras and Cory catfish if you insist on having the male betta fish. Males are hard to have with other fish unless you displace the aggression perfectly. Tetras are a great choice because of their speed and such. Other than that.. your just testing waters and I've done some of that and always had fish die.. Bettas get worked up so easily and die from anxiety so easily.. I would get some gouramis personally because there is a huge variety on types and they are pretty cool ... imo. here is some more betta fish stuff link here. The cory catfish will for sure work though because they are catfish and bottom feeders and fish tend to leave them alone (most fish!). Hopefully you can figure it out though. Let me know on your next thoughts

Gouramis....No. Bettas and Gouramis both inhibit the same area of water and in almost every tank I have seen a Betta and Gourami in together, it has ended in one or the other becoming either seriously injured or dead.

Tetras....To my knowledge, there are no Tetras that are suitable for a 10 gallon. All of them require a tank 15+ gallons.

To be honest, I'm not sure about the Dwarf Rasporas, I think they're better kept to a species only tank. Some websites do say they would be okay with a Betta but TBH I wouldn't do it. Just because with a Betta, you wouldn't be able to have as big as a school as they would like. 
It could work but its up to you really. I'd personally go for the Pygmy Corys instead but its your tank not mine
smile.png

i hear that ember tetras can be in a ten gallon
whistling.gif

Most reactions

Back